The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Importance of bands/chains on DE days

I was reading some westside articles where Louie Simmons mentions that bands or chains must always be used on dynamic exercises, such as bench, to keep the load constant. Are the bands and chains really necessary to see benefits on DE days or is just the bar weight sufficient? Also, how often should the weight be increased on DE exercises?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

if you check out the articles section on westside's site you can find answers.

does speed work with straight weight work? yes.

does speed work with bands and chains work better? yes.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

To keep the load constant??? I dont think you read that correctly. Bands and Chains make the load variable, heavier at the top and progressively lighter as you lower the weight. Can you see benefits without it? I dont see why not, but I wouldnt do it myself. Some of the raw crowd (emphasis on some) will tell you that bands and chains are really only useful for people using their cheater gear. I will tell you that in my experience that is bull.

Some people wave their dynamic weights over three weeks, say 55%, 60%, 65%, and then repeat. You can move the weights up as your max moves up. Generally speaking you should stop increasing the weight once your speed begins to suffer. That is somehwat of a judgement call, but say on the bench press you should be able to complete three reps in under three seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    To keep the load constant??? I dont think you read that correctly. Bands and Chains make the load variable, heavier at the top and progressively lighter as you lower the weight. Can you see benefits without it? I dont see why not, but I wouldnt do it myself. Some of the raw crowd (emphasis on some) will tell you that bands and chains are really only useful for people using their cheater gear. I will tell you that in my experience that is bull.

Some people wave their dynamic weights over three weeks, say 55%, 60%, 65%, and then repeat. You can move the weights up as your max moves up. Generally speaking you should stop increasing the weight once your speed begins to suffer. That is somehwat of a judgement call, but say on the bench press you should be able to complete three reps in under three seconds.
    +1.

check out the december 04 issue of Louie's articles on the site.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I did westside for six months to a year before I started using bands. It helped my squatting a lot because I got to work on form and box squats are killer to begin with, but I don't think I really started to benefit much from DE work on bench until I added bands. Keep in mind though I wasn't pushing much weight on bench to begin with - I don't think i was getting much out of speed pressing 115 lbs lol.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

I'd like to see where Louie said bands and chains must always be used on DE day. I don't believe that.

You need to be a certain level strength-wise and form-wise before using anything more than straight weight. If your form isn't very good, putting bands on the bar will make you worse, and probably get you hurt.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    You need to be a certain level strength-wise and form-wise before using anything more than straight weight. If your form isn't very good, putting bands on the bar will make you worse, and probably get you hurt.
    Exactly. Post videos of your form and ask for advice if you are not sure. Or just go out and find a powerliftimng gym in your area. Although I would like to think that Reverse bands could be used to help someone with crappy form.

Banned
    It sounds like you read a few articles, missed the others, screwed up the ones you did read, and then questioned Louie's wisdom/system. It's no wonder some coaches hesitate to put their **** online.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    It sounds like you read a few articles, missed the others, screwed up the ones you did read, and then questioned Louie's wisdom/system. It's no wonder some coaches hesitate to put their **** online.
    I read almost all of them and for DE flat bench he always mentions using bands or chains. I am only unclear as to whether he is saying that at his gym, his lifters always use bands/chains or if anyone doing DE work should incorporate them in. I was not questioning his wisdom, just trying to better understand speed days.

On our DE bench days the majority of our members use either bands or chains.

I went back to using straight weight at the advice of Vin and had excellent results. Lou doesn't say that bands and chains are a must, but he's going to recommend them at least be a part of your training at some point given that your strength level is high enough to handle it

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    On our DE bench days the majority of our members use either bands or chains.

I went back to using straight weight at the advice of Vin and had excellent results. Lou doesn't say that bands and chains are a must, but he's going to recommend them at least be a part of your training at some point given that your strength level is high enough to handle it
    Thanks Travis, that's what I wanted to know.