Thread: finger/hand numbness

finger/hand numbness

i have a friend who is having some numbness in her ring and thumb finger on one hand. she cannot recall doing any damage to it, or hitting it on anything. shes seen a doctor and he think it has something to do with the elbow. she is about 60 years old, and is quite a healthy person. any help or guesses what this could be would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

check out the wannabeadoctor forums.

Seriously, I had a problem once with numbness running down my right arm into my fingers, particularly whenever i did any cardio. Doc put me through a stress test, sent me to a neurologist who ran some tests and basically said that it was a pinched nerve and to do some stretching. Went away when I stopped running. So from now on **** cardio!

Now I wasnt going to mention this but. You have a female "friend" who is 60 years old. The imajes conjured up in my head are both disturbing, arousing, frightening and awesome all at the same time. Tell us more...

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Do you have a picture of a "thumb finger"? Lol!

Sounds a little like carpel tunnel but if she saw a doc he probably ruled that out. A friend of mine had constant numbness in his pinky & ring finger and it was a nerve in his elbow. I'll try to find out what the name of his "problem" was and get back to you. He had to have surgery to move the nerve from the back side of his elbow to the front. Huge scar, 6 weeks in a cast, many more weeks in a sling and I'm not sure how long he spent in rehab. Hopefully your friend is better off than mine!

I agree with ehubbard, except on that last part, lol.

Probably a pinched nerve. How is her posture? Older people tend to have more of a forward head carriage and/or protracted shoulder girdle. Those two things can create issues within the shoulders with either pinching a nerve or impingement that can lead to numbness in the fingers.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Here you go... Ulnar nerve and CORPAL Tunnel Syndrome (NOTcarpel).

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    check out the wannabeadoctor forums.

Seriously, I had a problem once with numbness running down my right arm into my fingers, particularly whenever i did any cardio. Doc put me through a stress test, sent me to a neurologist who ran some tests and basically said that it was a pinched nerve and to do some stretching. Went away when I stopped running. So from now on **** cardio!

Now I wasnt going to mention this but. You have a female "friend" who is 60 years old. The imajes conjured up in my head are both disturbing, arousing, frightening and awesome all at the same time. Tell us more...
    HAHA! sorry for the typos, i was in a bit of a rush. she's actually my mother's co-worker. i just figured it'd be a lot easier to type "my friend" than "this one lady my mom works with thats like 15 years older than her."

thanks for the tips, and i think she actually does quite a bit of cardio. i believe she goes to the gym in the mornings and does cardio.

i was thinking it was probably a nerve as well.
    Last edited by Lones Green; 08-28-2008 at 03:37 PM.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Dam You Lones! I wanted a story. Couldnt you make a better one up?

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    Dam You Lones! I wanted a story. Couldnt you make a better one up?
    LOL. could i? yes. would i be able to visit this forum again? probabbllyyyy not. hahaha.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com