Thread: Arms go to sleep after heavy upper body work outs...

Wannabebig Member

Arms go to sleep after heavy upper body work outs...

Some odd reason my arms go to sleep or get numb after my heavy bench,back,shoulder and arm work outs,when I go to sleep.I know it sounds stupid but I was hoping someone had some insight or experience w/this before I give my money to a doctor.
    Last edited by HICK; 08-15-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Same happens to me. It's usually my left arm that I can barely move. Drink a protein shake to replenish your body and you should be fine.
    Height: 5'11
    Starting Weight: 112
    5/15/08

Current Weight: 122 (+8)
    8/25/08
    Stage: Bulking

ProLogic having your arms go to sleep isn't a nutrition thing, it's a blood flow thing.
    I am not sure what that could be, see a doctor for better info.

You mean you wake up with a numb arm? (Numb to the point you can't move it, that is.)

Falling asleep in the wrong position can encourage nerve compression.

Try not to sleep on your sides or with your hands/arms under your body if this bothers you so.
    Last edited by Trevor M.; 08-16-2008 at 05:02 PM.
    People who don't know how to keep themselves healthy ought to have the decency to get themselves buried, and not waste time about it.
    Henrik Ibsen

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah it goes completely numb,to the point that it wakes me up.I do always sleep on my side w/one arm under my head,and the other above my head.They have gone numb or to sleep b4,but on a good workout day its just about a guarantee.I guess I'm asking should I be concern or is it common?

Invest in agood Active Release Therapy Session. I had the same problem untill my coach treated me. There is no way in hell i can train as much as I do without massage.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
    Same happens to me. It's usually my left arm that I can barely move. Drink a protein shake to replenish your body and you should be fine.
    This makes no sense. What would his protein intake have to do with circulation?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig Member
    Thanx 4 the feed back.My sister in law is a massage theropist so I'll try that,and try sleeping different.I would think my protein intake is fine,I weigh about 385lbs and supplement w/200grams of protein shakes then eat a lot of chicken,eggs,and beef and drink lots of milk.although another shake hasn't ever hurt anyone.
    Last edited by HICK; 08-17-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with BFguitar, it is most likely a blood flow thing. It's called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS), most likely due to pressure on the neurovascular bundle as it passes the pec minor muscle. Unless you have asthma, which in that case sometimes an elevated first rib can create these problems. Same thing with waking up with the arms or hands feeling "woody" if sleeping with them above head (washing hair, combing hair) etc. Do pec stretches with emphasis on pec minor (arm at 90 degree angle standing in a doorway, take the stretch nicely, don't overdo it. Hold the stretch for about 10 seconds, repeat with other arm and repeat with both arms 3 times. Do this 2-3 times per day. If you overstretch, get some ice or cold rub on the area. Usually this will take at least a couple weeks to get under control, but it can be done. Just sounds like you might not stretch as much as you should. This is just my 2 cents worth, which with todays economy might not be worth anything. Good luck.

Wannabebig Member
    your really better off seeing a doctor... might be nerve stuff. dont wanna mess around with stuff like this.