Thread: Feel as if I am too chubby to keep bulking, but not fat enough to cut

Feel as if I am too chubby to keep bulking, but not fat enough to cut

I have a dilema. I tried a clean bulk and gained like 2-3 pounds in a few months. I've been eating dirty lately and while I've gained some weight, a lot of it has been fat. I know this not just by the way I look in the mirror but because I gained it too fast. I'm not sure if I should get on a cut, or keep bulking, and whether I should do it clean or dirty. I'm about 5'10'' 190-195 pounds, and I estimate my BF% to be anywhere from 15-20%. I am currently doing Baby Got Back. Some days I get up feeling like a skinny bastard but others I feel like a fatty blob. When I look in the mirror, I am not a happy dude.

I know some of you guys will say its entirely my decision, but I still need some advice please.
    Last edited by yankeekd25; 08-21-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeekd25 View Post
    When I look in the mirror, I am not a happy dude.
    That should answer your question right there man.

Talk to Keith, your dilemma is something he goes through regularily. Shoot him a PM, he's a nice guy.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

I'd say get your diet in check while eating around maintenance levels and add in some cardio. My diet is very high protein, low fat, and moderate carbs. Its made a world of difference for me losing fat and gaining some muscle.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Banned
    What is your goal? I bet you don't even know exactly what you're trying to accomplish. It seems you set a goal and now you're not gonna follow thru because you're having an anorexic moment. Dude, you're 6' 195lbs. You're not even close to fat. Honestly.

Seriously, figure out exactly what you're goal is and follow thru with it. No matter how you feel emotionally. Follow thru with something. After you reach it, re-evaluate and go after your next goal.

This will help you in life not just the gym. If you run away from things because they're hard or tough mentally, you'll do it for the rest of your life.

I was in your position. I cut some weight and got somewhat lean but also realized I didn't have enough muscle to look good. So i started my bulk again, gained 35 pounds. I am now 6-7 lbs heavier than I was, and just as lean. I'm going to lose even more weight and hopefully look awesome.

Ya need muscle to show if you want to be lean.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    I was in your position. I cut some weight and got somewhat lean but also realized I didn't have enough muscle to look good. So i started my bulk again, gained 35 pounds. I am now 6-7 lbs heavier than I was, and just as lean. I'm going to lose even more weight and hopefully look awesome.

Ya need muscle to show if you want to be lean.
    Good point. You need muscle to be lean. You can't flex bone.

Wannabebig New Member
    I have learned the hardway that cutting without enough muslce is just a waste of time. It also hinders future progress.

I think I would say get lean. Set one goal at a time. If you are 'far from lean' as your sig says I would not want to set a goal to put on more weight... Get lean then add weight after that. In my opinion I don't know if the average person could start out feeling like they already look fat and stay commited to adding weight to their body. I think they would probably get discouraged which is what it sounds like is happening here. More importantly cutting will help you to fix your diet.

Wannabebig Member
    Scale a bit back on total calories by cutting out empty calories and perhaps eat at a slight deficit on rest days and only a decent surplus on workout gains. This will bring you more muscle without the extra fat.

Get your diet in check and quit eating dirty. If you're not happy with how much body fat you're carrying, go on a little cut. Take it slow and keep with it. When you're finally happy with the way you look start packing it back on, but slower this time.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with some of the others. I have been a similar size before. If you cut, you make look better to yourself in the mirror, but when your out and about you would be so lean nobody would even know you work out! I would rather be bigger and stronger and work on the lean stuff later. Regardless, get your diet in check and create some solid, concrete goals besides looking good in the mirror.
    Check out my first blog!
    www.thetrainingeffect.wordpress.com

Starting all over again :(
    im in the same boat as you man...I decided just to say F' it and just eat to get big.

I figure it will be 10 times easier to lose the weight with a gang of muscle on your body

Wannabebig Member
    Getting in waaaaaaaaaaaay more food than you need to build muscle is only going to make you fat very fast.
    Going just slightly over your maintenance will make you gain mostly LBM and not as much fat, especially when you only overeat on training days. Trust me on this!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Esperantistino View Post
    Getting in waaaaaaaaaaaay more food than you need to build muscle is only going to make you fat very fast.
    Going just slightly over your maintenance will make you gain mostly LBM and not as much fat, especially when you only overeat on training days. Trust me on this!
    No it's not. Eat as much as you want, train hard - it's that simnple. If you feel fat, do some more cardio, but don't kill it.

I don't know why or where this "maintanence" crap started. Eat some food and train hard. The system works, just like the wheel.

Do that voodoo that he do
    You may be at a point where you need to decide where you're going to go with this whole lifestyle.

If you just want to look a little bigger, be pretty for the girls, be stronger than most, and feel healthy, then by all means slowly add a bit of weight at a time. When you feel yourself getting too fat, then trim back.

If you want to make a big change, and be big, then do it. That's not an all out excuse to get fat, but eat big and train like an animal. If you don't have the "big" genetics, which you don't because you're asking these questions, then you need to push it. If you want extraordinary results, you need to do extraordinary things.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo