Thread: New Here, Need Advice! :)

Wannabebig New Member

New Here, Need Advice! :)

Hello everyone, I came upon this site randomly and figured I'd try my luck asking for some advice. First of all, I'm 21 years, 6 ft. and 170 lbs. Currently I try to watch what I eat but will slip in the occasional fast food meal, and of course the beers on the weekends. However I workout 3-4 times a week, lifting and doing light cardio (Usually about 2-3 miles a day at about a 9 mile/minute pace) and every few workouts mix some interval sprints into that cardio. I also take fish oil and multivitamins everyday, and drink 2-3 Protein shakes per day (Cytogainer and Syntha-6). I am not very knowledgeable on what lifts, how often, what to eat etc. I am getting extremely frustrated that I am working out about 4 times a week and hardly seeing any changes---I have been doing this for about 8 months. I'm not very defined. My primary goal is to become more defined, and do so gaining muscle while staying around 175-180 lbs. I could use any and all advice on workout routines and nutrition routines from anyone who'd care to help! The more detailed the better!! Thanks in advance.

Wannabebig Member
    I just read something that might interest you...go to the top left of this page and click on the back arrow.

Then look at the 4th topic that is stickied. Click on it. Then click on Wannabebig Routine I.

Normally I would just give you the link but I'm not eligible for that privilege as of yet...one more post baby!
    Last edited by catman; 08-27-2008 at 02:52 AM.

Can't gain muscle without gaining weight. 6ft, 170lbs is a scarecrow. EAT! LIFT!
    Starting Strength DO it. Simple. Works.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

I second that vote for starting strength. You should look into it and follow it exactly, don't try to change the routine like so many people. It's made the way it is for a reason... it works.

Trying not to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    Can't gain muscle without gaining weight. 6ft, 170lbs is a scarecrow. EAT! LIFT!
    Starting Strength DO it. Simple. Works.
    Yes. If you want to build muscle, you have to eat more and gain some weight. If you want to become more cut, you'll have to eat less and lose a bit of weight. You need to sit down and figure out exactly what you want to do and then do it. Either way, Rippetoe's Starting Strength is the ticket.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig New Member
    I would love to weigh about 5-10 more pounds, but lose enough fat to where I can weigh that much and be defined. Is this possible (a typical newbie question I'm sure)

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by JKH View Post
    I would love to weigh about 5-10 more pounds, but lose enough fat to where I can weigh that much and be defined. Is this possible (a typical newbie question I'm sure)
    Right, so...gain 15lbs of muscle, then lose 5lbs of fat.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_H View Post
    Right, so...gain 15lbs of muscle, then lose 5lbs of fat.

Couldn't have said it any better.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench