Thread: Does this diet seem alright?

Wannabebig Member

Does this diet seem alright?

I am trying to lose body fat but keep and build muscle. I'm a big guy, 5'10 280 with about 28% body fat. So to the diet, I usually start with a weight watchers bagel with a little jelly, or I will have egg beaters on a wheat tortilla with fat free cheese, special K 90 cal. bar in between breakfast and lunch, for lunch pita with tunafish, or chicken salad and some baked chips or something, and then when I leave work I eat a protein bar, about an hour later I am in the gym, get home and have a light low calorie, low fat dinner. I would appreciate any critiquing or input on anything else to add or delete. I work out 4 times a week and do cardio the other three days.

Wannabebig Member
    I would really consider buying the TNT diet plan by Dr. Volek. If your not sure swing by your local bookstore and read it first for a bit and you should be sold on it. A lot of people have had success on it. It is essential a low carb diet that you can make flexible to your goals and in line with your workouts. the best of both worlds!
    Check out my first blog!
    www.thetrainingeffect.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod23 View Post
    I am trying to lose body fat but keep and build muscle. I'm a big guy, 5'10 280 with about 28% body fat. So to the diet, I usually start with a weight watchers bagel with a little jelly, or I will have egg beaters on a wheat tortilla with fat free cheese, special K 90 cal. bar in between breakfast and lunch, for lunch pita with tunafish, or chicken salad and some baked chips or something, and then when I leave work I eat a protein bar, about an hour later I am in the gym, get home and have a light low calorie, low fat dinner. I would appreciate any critiquing or input on anything else to add or delete. I work out 4 times a week and do cardio the other three days.
    I absolutely agree with the TNT advice.

But if you're not wanting to do a low-carb, I would at least ditch the "little jelly," the "special K 90 cal. bar," the "baked chips," and the "protein bar."

Those items are little more than candy in disguise.
    "This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
    -Tyler Durden

I agree that maybe the TNT book would help but if you won't get it I would make sure that you get a higher calorie meal after workout when your body needs it if you want to maintain muscle mass and lose body fat. I have my largest meal around 8pm when I get back from working out, this is only time I have carbs. I am hoping you forgot to post all the veggies that you are eating. Can't be sure what your break down is but you need protein (and veggie) at every meal and seems like the carb count would be a little high if you were trying to cut down.

If it helps I am shedding body fat as well and have gone from 23.5% bf to 19.5% bf over the last 2 months and have only lost .6lbs of lean muscle mass. I still continue to see gains on all my compound lifts at the moment. So if you are diligent and do your research you should be able to achieve your goal!

To be completely honest, that diet is terrible. You will not keep any muscle on that diet. You need to cut out the junk; chips, jelly, special k bar, protein bar. None of this stuff is any good. You need MUCH more protein.

For breakfast I'd change it to 6 egg whites (with one yolk) and the weight watchers bagel. Better yet would be oats instead of the bagel but I dont see it being much of a difference.

You should be eating every 2-3 hours. Lean meats are your best friend at this point. I'd stick with about 4 meals with carbs and 2-3 without. So for carbs go with small portions of whole grain foods (brown rice, whole grain pita/bread/bagel). Replace the protein bar with whey in water. If you get hungry eat more protein.

It definitely needs some changes.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    To be completely honest, that diet is terrible. You will not keep any muscle on that diet. You need to cut out the junk; chips, jelly, special k bar, protein bar. None of this stuff is any good. You need MUCH more protein.

For breakfast I'd change it to 6 egg whites (with one yolk) and the weight watchers bagel. Better yet would be oats instead of the bagel but I dont see it being much of a difference.

You should be eating every 2-3 hours. Lean meats are your best friend at this point. I'd stick with about 4 meals with carbs and 2-3 without. So for carbs go with small portions of whole grain foods (brown rice, whole grain pita/bread/bagel). Replace the protein bar with whey in water. If you get hungry eat more protein.

that is basically what i was trying to say, but nicely.

Banned
    I wish I was your size.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post

Thanks for the input!!
    I am eating at 6am,9am,12,3pm, and 7pm(dinner)... Does this diet seem better: Egg whites w/WW bagel for breakfast, 9am, grilled chicken, lunch, pita w/lettuce tuna fish, or turkey and some baby carrots or other veggie, 3pm, some more chicken, and dinner lean meat brown rice, veggies, and after I workout, a protein shake. So thats three meals with carbs (bagel,pita,brown rice) and two without. Sorry I seem like such a newb, but I am trying to do this right this time!!

Thanks for the input!!
    I am eating at 6am,9am,12,3pm, and 7pm(dinner)... Does this diet seem better: Egg whites w/WW bagel for breakfast, 9am, grilled chicken, lunch, pita w/lettuce tuna fish, or turkey and some baby carrots or other veggie, 3pm, some more chicken, and dinner lean meat brown rice, veggies, and after I workout, a protein shake. So thats three meals with carbs (bagel,pita,brown rice) and two without. Sorry I seem like such a newb, but I am trying to do this right this time!!
    Thats definitely much better bro. Going off of rough estimates, assuming your chicken breasts/turkey/tuna are all around 8 ounces (about 45 grams of protein each) and you have 2 scoops whey (50 grams) thats going to be about 250 grams of protein total with the egg whites as well.

Like I said, if you feel hungry anytime between those meals just eat some more meat or whey. I've had a similar diet to this for awhile and I've been shedding fat like crazy and keeping plenty of energy throughout the day. I cant stand low carb diets.

Try it out, see how it goes, and adjust accordingly. Good luck!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the help!!!