Thread: Has anyone ever wondered...

Has anyone ever wondered...

What it musta been like when at one time you didn't exist... when you weren't born yet? Or even what it was like when you were inside your mother's womb? I always find myself wondering about these things.

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Smoke much?

I know what you mean. I live in a small rural town in Texas. Right now our population is about 450. At one time it was over 900. there was all kinds of businesses open here and I've always thought it would be cool to see what it was like then.
    JESUS KICKS ASS!

Life's too short to live in caution. Life's too long not to live at all.--Van Zandt

It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not.--Van Zandt

MYJOURNAL

MY FITDAY

Quote Originally Posted by 40 Nunc View Post
    Smoke much?
    Actually I don't smoke at all. I've just always had a fascination with these type things.

I'm listening to a book on CD that along these lines. They figure if they can configure a room to look like a certain time period (such as a building that was built in the 1880's) and hypnotize the people in it, then they overlap the space-time continuom and can travel back in time. Everything, however, has to be exactly as it was (even the mindset of the participants) for this to work.

It makes me think that time is layered, that at this point in space, history and the future are occuring, right here where I sit. It's a type of parallel universe.

...and it goes on to say that light has weight, so time is essential a physical object. Our consciousness and the objects surrounding us controls what universe we are in.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Quote Originally Posted by big ol' boy View Post
    I know what you mean. I live in a small rural town in Texas. Right now our population is about 450. At one time it was over 900. there was all kinds of businesses open here and I've always thought it would be cool to see what it was like then.
    wow dude 450 in the whole town?! i thought i had a small place with 80,000 :P but anyways to answere the OP question: Yes i wonder all the time.
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by mickyjune26 View Post
    I'm listening to a book on CD that along these lines. They figure if they can configure a room to look like a certain time period (such as a building that was built in the 1880's) and hypnotize the people in it, then they overlap the space-time continuom and can travel back in time. Everything, however, has to be exactly as it was (even the mindset of the participants) for this to work.

It makes me think that time is layered, that at this point in space, history and the future are occuring, right here where I sit. It's a type of parallel universe.

...and it goes on to say that light has weight, so time is essential a physical object. Our consciousness and the objects surrounding us controls what universe we are in.
    That would be incredible if I could experience something like that. I really want to know what it was like when I wasn't even an embryo. Is it just sooo fascinating to me that at one point I wasn't even thought of.

Yeah since the first time I have seen Back to the Future, I want to travel through time and experience life as it was before I was even born.

Holy f'n ****.
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

How does light having weight have anything to do with time?

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs View Post
    How does light having weight have anything to do with time?
    It was hard to understand, but here is my hack at it...

Since light has weight, light is more than just a form of energy to "let us see things". Light carries the present until the present passes and it becomes the past.

At better way to explain this is to picture a clock. You see the ticking of the clock, but it's really trillions (if not more) frames per second being thrown at you from the clock to your face at the speed of light. Light is carrying that moment from the clock to your eyeballs.

If you were to travel away from the clock, matching the speed of light, you would see the clock stop, because you are stuck on the same frame. You and that single frame of light would be traveling at the same speed, much in the way a car riding next to you seems to not be moving, even though you are both hurtling down the interstate.

If you were to move away from teh clock faster than the speed of light, then you would see frames of the clock that had already passed, essentially traveling back in time.

With "Time and Again", their concept of light having weight means that time isn't really a line, but rather a state of existance. The light is carrying more than just energy, but the light is carrying states of existance. The frame of light is carrying the clock, the wall, the entire building in which the clock (and you) reside.

Since light is "carrying" states of existence, you can actually step into a different time, because all of it is physical. The theory in "Time and Again" is that the physical setting and the consciousness of those involved control which state of existence we are in. When two states of existence are the same (even in different times), they temporarily merge, allowing the person to decide which time zone they are in.

This concept fascinated me, as it is in some ways similar to the concepts introduced in "What the (bleep) do we know?", a quantum physics for dummies movie, if I could call it that.

I hope this makes sense. It's late, and I'm going to bed. Gotta get ready to set some PRs on some low rack deads tomorrow!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

everytime I talk to my nana I can't help but think about how boring things must have been for them growing up back then. Tiny black and white tvs that not everyone even owned, little fred flintstone tank-like cars and their "fun" consisted of rollerblading or jumping rope. Although they didn't know any better and I'm sure they had fun, damn that must have sucked ass back then

mickyjune,

That's some deep ****. That kind of stuff has always fascinated me, too. I read a book called "Hyperspace" that is about string theory and the concept of multiple universes and it really makes you question the whole concept of "reality" as you know it. It does also go into the theoretical physics of time travel to some extent.

I've often thought about some of the things mentioned in this thread, such as what things were like in the place that I am at any given moment 50, 100, even thousands of years in the past, and what they might be like in the near and distant future, like that commercial with the gas station through time. I think about what my parents and family were like before I was born, and how people will remember me after I die (morbid thought, perhaps?). I wonder what the old town I was born in was like back in it's heyday. I think about what was there before the big bang. Was there another universe that had collapsed in on itself? Was there a beginning to time? What will happen when the universe eventually expands into nothingness, when all energy has been spent, and all matter is essentially dead? There will just be nothing?

I digress, but this **** fascinates me.
    Last edited by Guido; 08-28-2008 at 08:02 AM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    everytime I talk to my nana I can't help but think about how boring things must have been for them growing up back then. Tiny black and white tvs that not everyone even owned, little fred flintstone tank-like cars and their "fun" consisted of rollerblading or jumping rope. Although they didn't know any better and I'm sure they had fun, damn that must have sucked ass back then
    People didn't know any better, so their idea of fun would have been much different. People led less hectic, simpler lives. Sometimes I wish technological advancements had stopped at some point in the 50's or 60's because there would probably be a lot less daily stress for people and more social interaction.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    People didn't know any better, so their idea of fun would have been much different. People led less hectic, simpler lives. Sometimes I wish technological advancements had stopped at some point in the 50's or 60's because there would probably be a lot less daily stress for people and more social interaction.
    I agree in terms of entertainment, but not doctors. I sometimes wish I didn't have the damn desire to have background music or the TV on when I'm at home. I wish I'd be content with silence, as they had done so wonderfully before all this digital stimulation.

Concerning your earlier post, I agree. The most fascinating and common thing amongst all the theories (except for Einstein) is that the observer (us and our consciousness) is the one who can control time.

When I used to go to the Mormon church, I was taught that all matter had a spiritual intelligence. This is not necessarily an intelligent entity, but there was a spiritual (or in a scientific term, energy/light) side of that object. That intelligence was required to obey God because God was all knowing and all powerful.

Maybe there is a God and maybe not, but it's interesting that a God's existance can alter the present through the sheer will of commanding the intelligences of any type of matter.

so...on a final note for "Time and Again", I think that it is impossible for them to travel into the future because they couldn't replicate an environment or consciouss state, because they do not know what the future looks like. Thus, they may only travel to the past and back to the present.
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Wannabebig Member
    nah man. i dont try and consider these things. messes with your head if you think too much.

just going with the flow in life

Gamer/Lifter
    I think about that **** all the time. Like my grandmas town hey-day was in the 50s. I wish I could go to the 50s and just hang out. Or like the other day I was in a old castle not far from where I live and I sat there wondering what it'd be like to just go back hundreds of years and see the medievel knights on their horses, and the ladies, and the king and the dirt and grit. I sometimes wonder what it'd of been like back in the Civil War, I wish I could back to the American Revoliution war and feel the power of freedom coming on to me. I wonder it too, I wish they'd make a time machine that we could do that **** in. But I think if we ever developed a time machine we would have to make it impossible to interfere witht he world which we are observing. My friend asked why and I explained to him the butterfly affect. I kinda made it up but what I said was.

Imagine your great, great, great Grandpa was like 11 years old and he jumped to catch a butterfly, he fell and hit his chi aganist a rock and went to the local doctor to get his chin fixed. There he met his future wife who instantly fell in love with. At the same time the girl was considering going back up north to go to school but when she met your great, great, great grandpa said told her dad she wanted to go school here and so she and your great, great, great grandpa dated, got married, had kids. Those kids turned into your great, great, grandpa, he met a lady had kids and that turned into your great grandpa, then he had kids and that turned into your grandpa, and then your grandpa turned into your dad. Your dad had kids and now your here. Now had your great, great, great grandpa never tired to catch that butterfly, or had the rocks been dry, or had their been not as seirous of an injury to go tot he doctor you wouldn't be standing here listening to me explain it to you.

To which my smart ass friend replied "And?"
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    I think about that **** all the time. Like my grandmas town hey-day was in the 50s. I wish I could go to the 50s and just hang out. Or like the other day I was in a old castle not far from where I live and I sat there wondering what it'd be like to just go back hundreds of years and see the medievel knights on their horses, and the ladies, and the king and the dirt and grit. I sometimes wonder what it'd of been like back in the Civil War, I wish I could back to the American Revoliution war and feel the power of freedom coming on to me. I wonder it too, I wish they'd make a time machine that we could do that **** in. But I think if we ever developed a time machine we would have to make it impossible to interfere witht he world which we are observing. My friend asked why and I explained to him the butterfly affect. I kinda made it up but what I said was.

Imagine your great, great, great Grandpa was like 11 years old and he jumped to catch a butterfly, he fell and hit his chi aganist a rock and went to the local doctor to get his chin fixed. There he met his future wife who instantly fell in love with. At the same time the girl was considering going back up north to go to school but when she met your great, great, great grandpa said told her dad she wanted to go school here and so she and your great, great, great grandpa dated, got married, had kids. Those kids turned into your great, great, grandpa, he met a lady had kids and that turned into your great grandpa, then he had kids and that turned into your grandpa, and then your grandpa turned into your dad. Your dad had kids and now your here. Now had your great, great, great grandpa never tired to catch that butterfly, or had the rocks been dry, or had their been not as seirous of an injury to go tot he doctor you wouldn't be standing here listening to me explain it to you.
    To which my smart ass friend replied "And?"
    And my reply is what if that really didn't happen? Where would you be if you weren't born? How do you know what that's like when you can't know what that's like. That answer is what I am ultimately looking for.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post

If only we were so lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by yankeekd25 View Post
    And my reply is what if that really didn't happen? Where would you be if you weren't born? How do you know what that's like when you can't know what that's like. That answer is what I am ultimately looking for.
    I think this neatly ties into the religion thread thats currently running its course over in general chat also. It's a fantastic question...

I think at some point people either cover their ears/eyes/mouth and say "don'tcaredon'tcaredon'tcaredon'tcare" because the question is SOOOO overwhelming, or they reach some sort of transcendent spiritual enlightenment. Let me know if you find the latter...

I always wonder what my dad would have been like if I'd met him when I was my age (25), and then I just laugh and realize 25 years from now my kids are going to be asking the same thing. Sometimes I look at myself and laugh because I know I'll be looking back in 25 years and thinking man, that's how I was back in the day. So it's like I've gone back to the future... right now. Ahhh, to be young again
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    I think this neatly ties into the religion thread thats currently running its course over in general chat also. It's a fantastic question...

I think at some point people either cover their ears/eyes/mouth and say "don'tcaredon'tcaredon'tcaredon'tcare" because the question is SOOOO overwhelming, or they reach some sort of transcendent spiritual enlightenment. Let me know if you find the latter...

I always wonder what my dad would have been like if I'd met him when I was my age (25), and then I just laugh and realize 25 years from now my kids are going to be asking the same thing. Sometimes I look at myself and laugh because I know I'll be looking back in 25 years and thinking man, that's how I was back in the day. So it's like I've gone back to the future... right now. Ahhh, to be young again
    I would love to find the latter. I'm seriously thinking of finding some meditation or hypnosis expert. This question has been flooding my mind for a quite a while now, and finding an answer would be like discovering the meaning of life for me.

hah, thats kinda like that one southpark episode...
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    apprently my mom said her life was alot less stressful before i was around

so ill take her word for it....lol
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"