The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

ATF Squats ... too much pressure on knees?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I coudln't find the thread....

I currently do parallel squats and I'm thinking of changing to ATF but I'm a little worried about the stress on my knees when my ass is to the floor..

Is it okay on my knees as long as I "drive my ass up" as rippetoe puts it? What should I watch out for?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Actually parallel puts more pressure on your knees. Go down as low as you comfortably can.

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    I think the only problem with ATF is that some people don't have the flexibility to go down so low and as a result, form is worsened. I myself have found my back rounds when squatting ATF but when squatting parallel it is fine. However this was a while back and I don't think this applies to everyone. Go as low as it is safe for your form.

As for knees, there is no problem, parallel or ATF so long as you don't squat any shallower than parallel. It is in this ROM that the most pressure is applied to those joints.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ_H View Post
    I think the only problem with ATF is that some people don't have the flexibility to go down so low and as a result, form is worsened. I myself have found my back rounds when squatting ATF but when squatting parallel it is fine. However this was a while back and I don't think this applies to everyone. Go as low as it is safe for your form.
    I agree with this, but...

As for knees, there is no problem, parallel or ATF so long as you don't squat any shallower than parallel. It is in this ROM that the most pressure is applied to those joints.
    This I completely don't agree with, at least for me. I've had a knee injury ( not from squatting though ) and I don't feel any issues with my knee until I go lower than parallel. Squatting to anything parallel or higher doesn't bother my previously injured knee whatsoever, but below that, forget it, knee pain. I don't buy the whole argument that when your knee is at 90 you're most prone for injury. For me my knee feels significantly more able to be (re)injured once I go below parallel.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 08-29-2008 at 04:59 AM.

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post

This I completely don't agree with, at least for me. I've had a knee injury ( not from squatting though ) and I don't feel any issues with my knee until I go lower than parallel. Squatting to anything parallel or higher doesn't bother my previously injured knee whatsoever, but below that, forget it, knee pain. I don't buy the whole argument that when your knee is at 90 you're most prone for injury. For me my knee feels significantly more able to be (re)injured once I go below parallel.
    well whatever I squat parallel anyway, but a lotta qualified people seem to think that above parallel its worse for the knees. Anyway we don't squat above parallel because its rubbish for gains, both size and strength. As for ATF, if you have some kind of pre-existing injury, it could worsen the knees yes.

I thought it was ATG, ass-to-grass.
    8:45 Heaven

If you read the book you would understand why exactly full squatting is much easier on the knees then only going to parallel.

Barring injury or just old knees (like mine), going parallel or below is always better and typically, easier on the knees. Many people have a tendency to relax the muscle (pause) at the bottom. This will shift the pressure from the muscles to the knees and could cause pain. Make sure your knees come up pointing in the same direction as your feet are pointed, otherwise, a slight twist of the knee happens and there could be some problems later if that bad form is kept up. Your feet should be pointed outward at a comfortable position.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shouji View Post
    I thought it was ATG, ass-to-grass.
    it's whatever you want to call it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post

Injuries negated, full range squats are actually better for the knees.

Wannabebig Member
    so as long as I don't pause and let my muscles relax at all when in full squat, my knees should be fine?

yes, take a deep breath and stay tight through out the movement.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Injuries negated, full range squats are actually better for the knees.
    Agreed. You cannot just assume that going below parallel is bad for you knees because it hurts you after you have sustained an injury. You also cannot choose to deny physiology.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by skimmilk68 View Post
    so as long as I don't pause and let my muscles relax at all when in full squat, my knees should be fine?
    You should change your name to Atleast2%
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    So as not to start another squats/knees topic, let me ask you this.

I find that on the ascent of the squat my feet tend to flare further outwards than my starting position. I think it's because I'm trying to explode upwards too quickly, and I'm working on making it a smoother ascent.

But last time out I put a 25 pound plate on the outside of each of my feet to keep them from doing this. Is this a good idea? It worked quite well actually, but my knees have been a little more clicky (not that unusual) and a little more sore after this, but it may just be that I squated 200+ for the first time ever.

Blah blah, bad for the knees?