The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Weight decrease on sets...

I was wondering if you lift the same weight during all sets of an exercise when you do the same number of reps each time? I rest for about 2 mins 30 secs between each set, but I still don't manage to lift the same amount of weight on the next set (same reps each set). This applies especially for my upper body (like bench presses). What about you ? Do you have to decrease the amount of weight ?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    ok, you shouldn't be resting that long between sets. you have two options, starting with low weight and working up, through say 3 sets, and going 10 8 6 for reps. i used to do that, I'm getting crazy results oging this way though: 6 8 10, doing warmups, then heaviest weight first set.

I primarily use straight sets (2) per muscle group.

During these sets the goal was to work upto the same reps. and the same weight for 2 consecutive sets.

For example: 2 sets of 7-9 reps. x 200 lbs.

Possibly, I might do 9 on the first, then 7 the second. Once I achieved 2 sets of the max. reps. for the same weight I increased the weight and started over.

I've grown a bit bored with this though, and will be changing to the previously mentioned 5, 7, 9 scheme. (heaviest weight first of course)

I usually switch the scheme's around every 4 weeks or so.

Regarding rest: I usually go anywhere from 2 - 3 minutes p/set dependent upon intensity.
    Last edited by MRJ; 03-28-2002 at 04:08 PM.
    Best Regards,

Accipiter, what's wrong with waiting 2.5 minutes between sets?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Why shouldn't he wait that long? You don't even know how he's performing the movement.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

^ is a horny teenager.
    pros decrease reps and increase lbs for the next set, ill follow their example

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    2.5 minutes between every set is ok? are you serious?

I wait up to 4-5 minutes on some exercises.

Zalxder, i'll bet most pros aren't sure which day of the week it is.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Pros also use huge amounts of drugs.

Gonna do that?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Accipiter
    2.5 minutes between every set is ok? are you serious?
    I sometimes use 5-10 minute rests if its hard stuff- like last night, for example.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Rest time depends on many things, right guys? Like intensity, goals, weight, goals, people stepping in inbetween sets when your back is turned, and goals.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

well yeah, but dl, how long do you wait between sets of curls, for instance. I wait up to 5-10 minutes between deads and squats and even benching sometimes. but waiting that long between smaller movements seems pointless

3:16
    I wait longer with big compound exercise. up to 5 minutes.
    these should be the base of your trianing programme.
    comprimise between optimal recovery of atp etc and getting to cold.

I can wait a while when doing curls as I am very tired by that point as i have done back before.
    If i was just doing biceps I would not rest as long. but already fatigued so need longer rest so I can lift heavier/more reps.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Originally posted by Accipiter
    well yeah, but dl, how long do you wait between sets of curls, for instance. I wait up to 5-10 minutes between deads and squats and even benching sometimes. but waiting that long between smaller movements seems pointless
    Ya I think it is pointless to wait that long between curls. But would their be a big difference in strength or developement if I did wait 5 minutes?

Personally I dont sit there with a stopwatch and time myself *dam 4min50seconds, there is a fuked up set*, just lift when you are ready.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Extremely Disturbed
    For me, 3-5 for vicious compound movements; 2-3 for smaller ditties.
    H