Thread: What do you all think?

Wannabebig Member

What do you all think?

Hey all,

I stopped lifting for a few years and got back into it about 6 months ago. I feel like something is off. Basically, I think that my deadlift and squat are really lagging. Let me know what you all think of these numbers for my most recent workouts (I have converted to lbs because that is what I see a lot of in this forum):

Squat: 3x5 with 264 lbs
    Deadlift: 2x5 with 264 lbs
    Bench Press: 3x5 with 220 lbs

I feel that my deadlift should be much higher (bigger than my squats) and my squat at least slightly higher. My bench is okay but could use a lot of work.

I am 25 yrs old, 5'10, 220 lbs (with a good 30 lbs of fat on me).

Any thoughts, opinions, advice is certainly appreciated.

It all depends upon the individual. Personally, I think my bench sucks, but with a bad shoulder, it takes me much longer to get good gains (pain free) on the bench. Deads are usually heavier, but my deads and squats are the same and I'm leaning towards a heavier squat. Keep working, watch your form, and things will work out how they're supposed to for you.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 09-02-2008 at 12:37 PM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

What exactly are you looking for?
    Sarvamangalam!

If you're looking to up those numbers you need to eat hard and train hard. Look into some powerlifting routines and start eating more food.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

My guess is you have horrible technique and a weak lower back. Start following a program and stick with it for at least a year and you will see some huge gains.
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports WannaBeBig!

Follow me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ajroberts

Wannabebig Member
    A couple of things. My technique/form is good, I am indeed on a program and have been on the same program for about 6 months. I eat a lot and supplement with protein powder and creatine monohydrate.

Perhaps I should clarify on what I was asking for. I just want to know if you all agree that my squat and deadlift are lagging behind and that they should both be bigger with my deadlift much much higher. One limiting factor in my deadlift is my grip, which I find to be a limiting factor in several exercises (so I have started working on my grip strength independently).

Yes, your squats and deads should be higher than your bench. A guess is that you're doing a routine that focuses more on upper body, than lower body. I'd suggest doing Rippetoe's Starting Strength, you'll see all your numbers go up.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Yes, your squats and deads should be higher than your bench. A guess is that you're doing a routine that focuses more on upper body, than lower body. I'd suggest doing Rippetoe's Starting Strength, you'll see all your numbers go up.
    lol. I AM doing Rippetoe's SS routine!
    And, I never said that my squats and deads are not more than my bench, in fact, if you look at the numbers, you will see that they are a good bit higher. but they themselves are pretty low and close to each other.

The numbers are too close.

Listen to AJ Roberts and Rbtrout. They are right & are dead-on target. The numbers don't lie, they tell a whole bundle about how you train. Also, how do you know your form is good? Post a video.

You asked for advice. Take it and quit rebutling eveything.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    The numbers are too close.

Listen to AJ Roberts and Rbtrout. They are right & are dead-on target. The numbers don't lie, they tell a whole bundle about how you train. Also, how do you know your form is good? Post a video.

You asked for advice. Take it and quit rebutling eveything.
    Advice is only as good as the information it was decided upon and, to that end, I have been offering more information, not "rebutling." Chill, bro. The more info people have, the better they can help me.

While, as I already said, I am not ruling out the possibility that some of my form is bad, I highly doubt it because I have asked a lot of people who know their **** to watch my form and I'm not exactly a newbie to training or knowing what proper form is.

I will reiterate: the main thing that keeps holding me back in the deadlift is my grip (which also seems to hold me back in other exercises) so I am starting to work on that more. As for my squat, I really am stumped.

Excuse me, rebuttling. I am chill... bro.

And quite honestly something doesn't add up. You say to eat alot, you say you know what you are doing in the gym, you have everything on track but your numbers aren't going up? It seems there is something missing you are leaving out. That's all I'm saying.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 09-03-2008 at 09:54 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Nice but the numbers do seem a little too close to me too

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    your numbers aren't going up?
    I never said that my numbers are not going up. My numbers are going up it is just that my squat and my deadlift are staying close to each other as they continue to climb.

This thread has answered what I wanted it to; mainly that most of you agree that something is off there.

after taking a break for a little bit from lifting for a little bit, it takes a short while for your body to react again the way it once did. As far as your DL and squat being closer together in numbers. Just give it a little time, a lot of people are the same way, just keep working hard bro it will come.
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twirl View Post
    after taking a break for a little bit from lifting for a little bit, it takes a short while for your body to react again the way it once did. As far as your DL and squat being closer together in numbers. Just give it a little time, a lot of people are the same way, just keep working hard bro it will come.
    thanks, bro.