The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Banned

Geared/Raw question

Dont worry,this is not a debate.

Being how I made a crossover from Bodybuilding to Powerlifting training 3 years ago,I had a question.For someone like myself that doesnt know if he wants to compete in powerlifting,but does it because he enjoys the training more than bodybuilding and overall just wants to be as big and strong as possible,is there any reason to train in gear?I got totally burned out from competing in bodybuilding to the point where I didnt want to train at all.Im at a point where Im running my own business and wanting kids soon,so I dont know how much time I can dedicate to training for meets.And I would hate to ever get burned out with my training now.I love powerlifting and the westside style of training.I wish I started years ago.So anyway,just wondering if Raw training is the only way to go for me?
    Last edited by Tennessee Mike; 09-04-2008 at 10:36 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I really enjoy training in my gear. If you're interested, try it and see if you like it.

Other than for just fun, the only reason you might want to do it is for protecting your hips so that'd be getting some briefs

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

yup, i agree with Travis. briefs would probably be a good idea.

i think if you try gear you might like it, it keeps things exciting for me.

you might check out the journals section and look at HeavyBomber's journal. he trains "powerbuilding," its a pretty cool style of training. he is massive, and he is VERY strong. i remember when i first came to this site he's the guy i wanted to look like. maybe in 10 more years, haha

come to the meet next weekend Mike and we'll talk.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Mike,

My first piece of advice would be to just say **** it and go do a meet to see what it is like. However, there are some people who are not capable of having any fun at a meet and cant stand the thought of losing. So if you are like that then maybe I would just go to a meet to watch (assuming you have never done this before) and see if it lights a fire under your ass. I did my first meet raw, bombed out, but as soon as I left I KNEW that this is what I wanted to do. Doing meets also gives you a very easy way to set goals for yourself, which in my years of being a washed up meathead was very hard for me to do.

Now will gear help your raw lifts? Who knows? I think most would say Yes. I love lifting in gear. It's downright fun. Go get a pair of briefs and a somewhat loose bench shirt and play around with it. Hell, I have a Metal Pro Viking I am not using and a Metal IPF Bencher sitting in my closet. What are your shoulder and chest measurements?

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    Mike,

My first piece of advice would be to just say **** it and go do a meet to see what it is like. However, there are some people who are not capable of having any fun at a meet and cant stand the thought of losing. So if you are like that then maybe I would just go to a meet to watch (assuming you have never done this before) and see if it lights a fire under your ass. I did my first meet raw, bombed out, but as soon as I left I KNEW that this is what I wanted to do. Doing meets also gives you a very easy way to set goals for yourself, which in my years of being a washed up meathead was very hard for me to do.

Now will gear help your raw lifts? Who knows? I think most would say Yes. I love lifting in gear. It's downright fun. Go get a pair of briefs and a somewhat loose bench shirt and play around with it. Hell, I have a Metal Pro Viking I am not using and a Metal IPF Bencher sitting in my closet. What are your shoulder and chest measurements?
    exactly! i'm trying to get him to come to the meet i'm doing next saturday.

good post.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    I'll be at the meet for sure.As far as measurement go,Im guessing 49-50 chest and 53-55 shoulders?I bought an Inzer standard blast last year and got about 10lbs out of it.I cut the back straight up.
    Last edited by Tennessee Mike; 09-04-2008 at 10:57 AM.

The Inzer Blast...Nice! That wont be much different than the Metal IPF Bencher. But only 10 lbs? I hear most guys get 30 lbs out of that gem. The Pro Viking is a Size 56 so I think that would fit the bill. It is a bit of a tough shirt to touch in but does work pretty good with more of a raw groove (alledgedly). The material is almost like across between canvas and poly. The problem I have with this shirt is the arms are a bit loose and with my gorrila arms and long bench stroke I need more tricep support. I also have a loner Super Duper Phenom that I am falling for.

Tell you what, if you are interested and can get me a billing number for fedex I will send you the shirt to try out. If you like it I will give you a fair price on it. I bought it used for 100 bucks. Otherwise you can send it back to me.

One other thing, if you do get into another shirt do me a favor and bench in the rack with the pins setup to save your face from dumping the bar. Well, unless of course you really really trust your spotters.

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    The Inzer Blast...Nice! That wont be much different than the Metal IPF Bencher. But only 10 lbs? I hear most guys get 30 lbs out of that gem.
    The Inzer Blast is the biggest piece of **** bench shirt ever... Don't waste your money on it unless you just want to get used to the pain of a shirt cutting up your armpits. It adds about 5 pounds to my bench (plus or minus 10 pounds). I guess it's cheap, but honestly, with so many other options out there, I don't know why anyone today would buy it.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    thanx bro.I might do that.

I train raw for three reasons:

I don't have money to buy equipment,

It would take time to learn it, I have very little time, and you would need someone who has experience in gear (non such exist in/around my college),

and finally I'm inexperienced. I wouldn't even think of stepping into a bench shirt at my weight until I can bench at least 350.
    Last edited by Hazerboy; 09-05-2008 at 02:11 AM.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    It would take time to learn it, I have very little time, and you would need someone who has experience in gear (non such exist in/around my college)
    Although it is very helpful training with experienced lifters who can help you learn the suit, it's not required. I learned how to squat in my v-type squatter, alone in my basement. Eventually I found a crew of guys to lift with who help me with my gear now.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

i learned my first suit (a v-type as well) by myself...wish i would have had some guys to help me back then, i developed some bad habits.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

While I compete in the APF so I use gear, I think that even if I didn't compete again, I'd still use gear. It gives a nice little variation and twist to the programming of workouts and routines. I switched from bodybuilding to powerlifting after I decided to get strong and quite trying to get pretty (which I finally figured wasn't going to happen). I don't really think I'll ever get above "suck" as far as strength goes but I would like to be a bit better than "****". For me gear is fun. It's just a change of pace like bands or chains. Just a different type of training modality.

Like others have mentioned, briefs are good just for hip health. Bench shirts are just plain fun. Pick up a pair of good Metal Pro briefs and have some fun.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    While I compete in the APF so I use gear, I think that even if I didn't compete again, I'd still use gear. It gives a nice little variation and twist to the programming of workouts and routines. I switched from bodybuilding to powerlifting after I decided to get strong and quite trying to get pretty (which I finally figured wasn't going to happen). I don't really think I'll ever get above "suck" as far as strength goes but I would like to be a bit better than "****". For me gear is fun. It's just a change of pace like bands or chains. Just a different type of training modality.

Like others have mentioned, briefs are good just for hip health. Bench shirts are just plain fun. Pick up a pair of good Metal Pro briefs and have some fun.
    Homey are you training for a meet? haven't seen you posting in your log in awhile, am i just overlooking it?
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I was hesitent to start in gear because I train in my basement, without regular spotting support. However, I ordered the Z suit and trained w/it for squats in my powerrack since the beginning of the year. (Through videoing most of my squats, I feel pretty comfortable now with the suit and my form/depth.) To me, working with the suit keeps things fun and I look forward to mixing things up. I've used a really loose Fury to train in a couple of times and it does really help my shoulder pain. I usually alternate between raw/geared in my leg workouts, but did do my last meet with the z suit and the shirt. (Had no trouble with the shirt at all.) A couple of weeks ago, I got the Max DL suit and lifted w/it for the first time my last workout. For me now, this is having the same effect as legs as I am really looking forward to the workouts to mix this in my routine.
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

Suited stuff is so much fun.

The thing I miss most about it is the adaptation to heavy weights on your back. I squatted 520 in a suit but only 407 raw when I was powerlifting, but taking the 407 out of the rack was a breeze,

Now as an Oly lifter my heaviest squats feel crushing from the get go.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    One way to find out if unequipped training/competing is for you is to try it and see what happens.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 09-05-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Banned
    Ok.What shirts and suits to you all reccomend to start with?Bench is around 320-330,squat is low 400's and deadlift is around 430-450.All Raw.
    Last edited by Tennessee Mike; 09-05-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Ok.What shirts and suits to you all reccomend to start with?Bench is around 320-330,squat is low 400's and deadlift is around 430-450.All Raw.
    try out that viking ehubbard is willing to lend you. its free!

as for suits, get some metal pro briefs and start there.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I will give you my rather limited view on what I have experienced starting out in gear over the last year. About a year ago I got a single ply Metal IPF Squatter, and IPF Bencher. I used the Bencher for maybe 8 reps before retiring it and I wouldnt bother with it. I then ordered the Metal Ace Squatter and a Metal Two Ply Bash Bencher.

Squat: Metal Pro Briefs, Metal Ace Squatter, are what I use now. Some people would tell you that the ACE is a lot of suit, but I guess that really depends on how tight you get it and how tight you wear the straps as well. I would start with the briefs, than try the suit with no briefs, than try the suit with straps up, then try the suit brief combo with staps down, and then go full bore. I ordered the 44 Pro Briefs and a 52 Ace Squatter. The suit is not too tight and the briefs are nice and snug. I wouldnt order the Ace briefs with the Ace Squatter.

Bench: I started in a Metal Two Ply Bash, for you I would probably go with a 56. It's pretty easy to touch in once you get the hang of it and the groove is forgiving. However, this shirt was tight as balls in the sleeves for me and was a real pain in the ass to get on at first. I made the mistakes of stretching out the arms too much and now the shirt gives me no support at lockout. There are a lot of other guys who could give you better info on Inzer and Titan shirts.

Deadlift: Assuming Conventional, I hear good things about the Metal King Pro Deadlifter and Inzer Fusion. I am pulling in a Metal IPF Squat suit. The reason it works for me is because I am tall and the suit is tight as balls in the straps and provides good pop of the floor. This was also the first squat suit I ordered to I have found a way to put it to use. Eventually it will be replaced, and that will likely happen soon.

definately borrow whats free first and see if its ur thing. why shell out 150-300 bucks to find out u dont like it? borrow some stuff for a few weeks then decide. i personally hate geared training. the ONLY benifit to raw i can see is if u squat frequently, some light briefs will help with hip stiffness and soreness.
    All Time 198 Squat Record of 1,050 pounds
    http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?...e=&category=tr

All Time 220 Squat Record of 1,100 pounds

** 1063 squat , 611 bench, and 733 deadlift for 2408 Total
    All Time 242 Squat Record of 1,108 pounds At 228)
    ** 1108 squat , 639 bench, and 700 deadlift for 2447 Total

What I Lack in Genetics, I Make Up For With Determination and Discipline

Along with this conversation, what type of weight difference do you guys see from raw squats to using briefs(typically, I know there is no exact science)? I have swtiched my training to more of a powerlifting focus from DC Training and ordered briefs last week to see what it is like, and knee wraps. All I've ever used before is a belt. I think I might be interested in a suit at some point. Max with a belt is 500 lbs. Would love to really up that in the next few years.
    Last edited by joey54; 09-05-2008 at 06:10 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Along with this conversation, what type of weight difference do you guys see from raw squats to using briefs(typically, I know there is no exact science)? I have swtiched my training to more of a powerlifting focus from DC Training and ordered briefs last week to see what it is like, and knee wraps. All I've ever used before is a belt. I think I might be interested in a suit at some point. Max with a belt is 500 lbs. Would love to really up that in the next few years.
    there are soooooo many factors. the better you learn your gear, the more you'll get out of it. i'm still trying to learn mine right now
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    there are soooooo many factors. the better you learn your gear, the more you'll get out of it. i'm still trying to learn mine right now
    Thats what I was thinking, was just curious if anyone had some ideas in weight numbers. No worries though, it will be a fun thing to find out.

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    seems to me that u could easily incorporate some heavy lifts into DC. keep ur rotating 3 exercises, work up to a heavy 1-3, then do ur DC set. dont post that on IM, they rip u a new one for deviating from the bible, but it will work.
    Last edited by Big_Byrd52; 09-13-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    All Time 198 Squat Record of 1,050 pounds
    http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?...e=&category=tr

All Time 220 Squat Record of 1,100 pounds

** 1063 squat , 611 bench, and 733 deadlift for 2408 Total
    All Time 242 Squat Record of 1,108 pounds At 228)
    ** 1108 squat , 639 bench, and 700 deadlift for 2447 Total

What I Lack in Genetics, I Make Up For With Determination and Discipline