Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Meet Advice

Hybrid View

1st Meet Advice

I greatly appreciate the advice that is available here and how helpful everyone is with a wide range of topics. This message board along with the folks who reside here are quite unique.

On to the thread topic. I am lifting in what is really my first meet (did one 22 years ago when I was just a punk ass teenager) on Sept 20th and what I am essentially looking for is what would you tell a buddy to expect in preparation for their first meet?

My sole focus in this meet is purely to learn and gain experience. I am not using a bench shirt or squat suit for this first meet (I have the legal equipment I need). I am going to be in the 275 open (I have 5lbs to spare so I am good there). I'll be sure to open with weights I know I can hit.

What are some of the things I need to pack in my bag?
    6 hour drive - staying the night before.
    7:30 weigh ins/lifting at 9:30 - breakfast timing?
    How long could a meet last?
    General transition time from one discipline to another (bench to squat to DL)?

I thought of a lot more questions earlier today but I can't even think straight by this point at night. Thank you guys ahead of time and I appreciate you taking the time.

the most important thing is to go to learn, and have fun. sit in the corner and watch what all the strong guys do.

there are a million more tips, but i'm sure they will get posted here, plus i'm a bit pressed for time!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    The length of a meet depends on how many lifters compete and the amount of help the meet director has. Also, go to the rules meeting and ask questions that you are not clear about.

You openers should be a weight that you can do @ least three times.

COMPETITION EQUIPMENT CHECK LIST

1. Gym bag
    2. Bp shirt(2) or none for unequipped lifting
    3. wrist wraps
    4. singlet
    5. belt
    6. Cooler
    7. Protein shake & variety of snacks
    8. H20
    9. Towel
    10. Camera
    11. Membership card
    12. Extra $$$$
    13. Extra clothes
    14. Pen
    15. Rubbing ointment
    16. Deodorant
    17. Vitamin H20

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 09-05-2008 at 06:32 AM.

Banned
    If the meet has a bench only part too, those tend to get crowded and take up some time.

If you are fine on weigh ins, I would treat eating like you do in your training (or on days where your training is really on).

Bring some snacks or small meals to munch on that your body can handle while lifting as PL meets can go for several hours unless it is a small one and is run rather quickly.

There will probably me lots of time between events, depending on how it is set up. I've only been to 2 (competed in one, helped in another) and both involved moving monolift to the lifting area and back, then moving the bench, then moving the DL platform, etc. On top of that you will be given ample time to warm up as well.

Have fun! Talk to some older lifters or maybe their helpers if they aren't doing anything major at the moment and get some tips from them. Just learn and use it as a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fulldaddy View Post
    I greatly appreciate the advice that is available here and how helpful everyone is with a wide range of topics. This message board along with the folks who reside here are quite unique.

On to the thread topic. I am lifting in what is really my first meet (did one 22 years ago when I was just a punk ass teenager) on Sept 20th and what I am essentially looking for is what would you tell a buddy to expect in preparation for their first meet?

My sole focus in this meet is purely to learn and gain experience. I am not using a bench shirt or squat suit for this first meet (I have the legal equipment I need). I am going to be in the 275 open (I have 5lbs to spare so I am good there). I'll be sure to open with weights I know I can hit.

What are some of the things I need to pack in my bag?
    6 hour drive - staying the night before.
    7:30 weigh ins/lifting at 9:30 - breakfast timing?
    How long could a meet last?
    General transition time from one discipline to another (bench to squat to DL)?

I thought of a lot more questions earlier today but I can't even think straight by this point at night. Thank you guys ahead of time and I appreciate you taking the time.
    The meet could last anywhere from 4.5 hours to 11 hours. Really depends on how many people show up and how smoothly the meet runs. Also if there is a bench only meet in the middle of the competition that could really slow things down a bit. If you dont have an issue making weight you can eat before or after the weigh ins. Personally with that timeline I might have a bowl of oatmeal and some egg whites before and a protein / carb shake and some fruit (think bananas) after the weigh in. Bring food that you can digest fairly well. Gatorade, protein powder, PB&J sandwiches, fruit, etc. and LOTS of water. For my own shakes I use Waxy Maize Starch (carb) and Protein. You could also get away with gatorade powder and protein.

Also, DONT FORGET YOUR SINGLET!!! Make sure it fits.

And lastly, go have fun, pick weights you know you could do because bombing out at your first meet sucks.

great advice so far guys - thanks for taking the time. Thanks for the equipment check list JT - with my background in coaching football (we've got checklist's for the checklist ) I had already put one of those together.

It will be very easy to have a good time as I made it a point to put more emphasis on learning and meeting people than on how much I want to lift. I have only been training with this meet in mind for a month so totals don't mean much to me. They will mean more in December when I plan on doing my second meet.

JT - picking a weight I can do for 3 is a good guideline that I will use. ehubbard - I tried on the singlet the minute I got it to make sure it fit ha ha. I was a little nervous about that.

As a rule - does the meet have chalk for the lifters?

Banned
    BYO Chalk. There will be tons floating around, but just to be on the safe side I would bring your own.

Since it's your first meet, it might be nice to have someone take pics of every lift. Just bring your own camera in case there is no meet photographer. Most smaller meets don't have one.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

I am hoping to video my lifts and get some pics taken as well. Another rookie question - baby powder for the legs on deadlifts? And - does anyone really do much after maybe the Monday of meet week?

I had planned on maybe getting a lighter lift on Monday and then just doing some light cardio & along with my normal stretching routine the rest of the week to stay loose.

use baby powder, it will protect your shins and legs from scraps...and might make the lockout a bit easier

i take a few days off after a meet. a week off will won't hurt you, but i wouldnt go into the gym looking for PR's if you don't take a week off.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I plan on taking a few days off after the meet but no more then 2 or 3. I haven't been training (with this meet in mind) long enough or heavy enough to get dinged up so I am pretty healthy. I will train back slowly looking to peak for my December 6th meet.

I more curious to see how people handle the week of the meet. Thanks lonesXedge.

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    use baby powder, it will protect your shins and legs from scraps...and might make the lockout a bit easier
    Yes, but dont spread it on your legs with your hands, use the side of the baby powder bottle to smear it around. Or get your handler to do it for you. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

And - does anyone really do much after maybe the Monday of meet week?

I had planned on maybe getting a lighter lift on Monday and then just doing some light cardio & along with my normal stretching routine the rest of the week to stay loose.
    After hitting your openers the prior to the meet, do nothing. Keep an eye on your weight if that may be a problem. Don't lift anything heavy the week before. Rest, eat, rest, eat, rest, eat. I always take the week off before and after a meet.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice. It is nice to see that "brotherhood" or "community" vibe. You guys have been a big help to myself and all the other newcomers on the boards and we certainly appreciate it.

After hitting your openers the prior to the meet, do nothing. Keep an eye on your weight if that may be a problem. Don't lift anything heavy the week before. Rest, eat, rest, eat, rest, eat. I always take the week off before and after a meet.
    Ryano - do you suggest hitting the openers on Monday or do you do it the weekend prior? Thanks bud

Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    All the stuff J.T. listed are cool. Water is a must. Some snacks and make sure you have a checkoff list for all of your gear and backup gear(incase you blowout a shirt or something unexpected). Be prepared for the worst and shoot for the best.

The important thing is to get one on the board. After that go for what you want.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN provided a great list. I would consider adding a bottle of Immodium A.D. to it. Pre-meet jitters can cause stomach problems.

Best of luck on your meet fulldaddy.

If you can, do the openers the weekend before to give you a full weeks rest. You can't get any stronger in the week before a meet, but you certainly can get weaker by overtraining or injury. Good luck

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    If you can, do the openers the weekend before to give you a full weeks rest. You can't get any stronger in the week before a meet, but you certainly can get weaker by overtraining or injury. Good luck
    Great advice - too many people forget about the rest before a meet. I usually do some light work monday and tuesday, chiro or massage on wed, stretch on thurs and rest up.

Bring somethin to ice yourself in case **** happens, linament, and a foam roller so your can actually arch for benichng after a big squat.

Thank you all for your advice. I just finished the TCO in MN and I had an absolute blast. It was a great meet, very well run, and the people I met were all just fantastic and very helpful. While I didn't do anything newsworthy I was very happy with my totals after only 5 or 6 weeks of training and I got to see some "Big Time" lifts - especially Jon Krogman lifting Raw - WOW.

I was suprised to a video of my 3rd squat attempt was posted (468lbs) and it was actually my only lift of the day that didn't count.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cE48...?g2_itemId=517

Thanks again for all the advice - much appreciated.

You post that you did well and don't even give us any numbers? weak sauce. Seriously kudos to you. Glad you did well. Time to get to work for next time.
    Roll Tide.

I was happy with my totals but they are hardly post worthy. I was called for depth on the squat in the video (468lb) so I ended up with 440. I benched330 & deadlifted 473. I didn't use a shirt or suit. I had strained both my back & left pec in consecutive days 2 weeks ago so it cost me a little time but neither bothered me today. I went 8-9 for the day and everything ended up being pretty easy. Every weight I picked was a complete guessing game.

I can admit now when I started training for this last month my first bench workout was 5 sets of 5 at 185 & my first squat workout was 5 sets of 5 at 225 (and it was heavy). Thank goodness for muscle memory.

I was excited to witness some outstanding performances today like Jon Krogman smoking a 755 (I think) Raw deadlift.

Easily the best thing about my first meet was how great the other lifters were. Everyone was very supportive and cheered eachother on - it was just really awesome. If it is like this throughout the country we are all truly blessed to be involved in powerlifting.

Banned
    Easily the best thing about my first meet was how great the other lifters were. Everyone was very supportive and cheered eachother on - it was just really awesome.
    My first meet was about a month ago, and I completely agree. People were cheering on everybody, equally, no matter what they were lifting. It was so obvious everybody there remembered what it was like to be a their first meet. I still think about the intensity of the dead lifting at the meet when I train. Very cool. I know I'm new to this, and have a long way to go, but I'm hooked (big time).

(snip) we are all truly blessed to be involved in powerlifting.
    It's a HUGE blessing. Seriously. I think about that every day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    I still think about the intensity of the dead lifting at the meet when I train. Very cool. I know I'm new to this, and have a long way to go, but I'm hooked (big time).
    Very true - it was very intense at our meet as well. I am going to remember the vibe & mentality when I train as well. When I was lifting in preparation for the meet - I was VERY aware of every pound I was lifting. Today I was so focused on the calls & technique I didn't even really think about what was on the bar.

What a blast!

First meet, who cares what your numbers are, great job.
    Roll Tide.