Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forging My Ideal Physique

Hybrid View

Forging My Ideal Physique

Hello everyone! I am starting this log to help keep me accountable. I have always done better when I know others are watching. If you see me slacking then let me know.

Background
    I have been training pretty consistently for over 4 years now. I got a wake up call from my doctor and decided to actually listen to him (boy was he shocked). In that time I have dropped close to 40 pounds (low of 137 lbs at 9%) and cut and bulked back to where I am now with an average lean mass gain of around 5 7 lbs per year. If you believe in body type classifications I would say that I was leaning towards being an ectomorph with the majority of my fat storage in the midsection.

Currently I am around 175 lbs and 14% body fat (pictures coming soon). I am just shy of 5' 8" and almost 45 years old. My best 1 rep lifts were from about two months ago at the end of my most recent bulk. They are probably a bit lower now, as I have not been going heavy since then.

Flat Bench Press 290 lbs.

Back Squat 332.5 lbs.

Conventional Dead lift (hook grip with straps) 380 lbs.

Overhead Press 167.5 lbs.

Power Clean 175 lbs.

Here is a list of what I have been doing over the last 4 years
    Jan 2004 - Nov 2004 (Fat loss and beginning strength training using HST)
    Dec 2005 - March 2006 (Max OT bulk)
    April 2005 -May 2006
    April 2005 - Sept 2005 (SGX with Swolecat coaching Link to journal)
    Sept 2005 - March 2006 (SUP 2 with Swolecat coaching for the first 3 months)
    April 2006 - August 2006 (SGX without coaching)
    Oct 2006 - Dec 2006 (SUP 2 without coaching)
    Jan 2007 - Feb 2007 (SGX diet with bodybuilding routine)
    March 2007 - June 2007 (Get Shredded diet with bodybuilding routine)
    July 2007 - August 2007 (WSFSB bulk)
    Sept 2007 - Dec 2007 (Starting Strength)
    Jan 2008 - July 2008 (Texas Method)
    August - September (Whole body workout with progressively lower rest periods)

Into the Fire
    Earlier this year I was contemplating my progress and where I was headed. I have had no direct coaching and workout at home so, as my weights have increased, I have worried about my form. My progress has been OK but I am fighting father time and feel I need to step things up to reach my ideal physique. I have also recently become interested in Olympic lifts. What all this told me was that I needed a one on one trainer.

Thanks to Google I was able to find someone in my area that was a perfect fit for my needs. You might know him as he is a prominent member of this board. He goes by Borris and his real name is Issac Wilkins. Check out his web site or blog if you get a chance. I feel like I could not have been any luckier to have such a qualified trainer close by.

I had my first training session with Issac on Wednesday. Man I should not have dropped cardio! I am out of time but I will post my impressions about it soon.
    Last edited by Tempered; 09-07-2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Added links

First Day

So Isaac shows up and I give him the 10 cent tour, what equipment I have available. We end up in the garage where I have recently built a weightlifting platform (for my new bumper plates). He gives me a few exercises to do as a warm up. He checks my power clean form and gives me some spots to work on.

The he hits me with, "I want you to do as many clean and presses as you can in 10 minutes."

I think, well, I only have 95 lbs on the bar, this can't be that bad...

Wrong! It is hot in the garage, I am a little winded from some other stuff we have done. It quickly becomes a game of me not pushing myself so far that I puke. He stops me after 5 minutes and 18 reps.

This is exactly what I am looking for. There is no way I would do something like this on my own without someone telling me to. I hate high intensity stuff but I know that I should do it (funny thing is, I used to feel this way about squats and deads). I am sure there will be more to come and although I do not really look forward to doing it, I know I will be better for it. Who knows, maybe it will become a staple of my routines like squats and deads have?

Afterwards we talked about my goals, what his views are on several fitness topics, and just bull****ted a bit. I really am glad I decided to contact him.

Goals
    I am taking a week vacation to the mountains starting on October 4th so I plan on cutting down until then and hope to be around 10% BF. Once I get back I will start bulking again and focus on size and strength. In addition to this I want him to work with me on my form, especially on powerlifting and Olympic lifts.

These pictures are from August 08 at the end of my bulk.

Last edited by Tempered; 09-07-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added Pics

Thursday 9/4/08

20 minutes of steady state cardio to promote recovery.
    Last edited by Tempered; 09-06-2008 at 05:42 AM.

Friday 9/5/08

Dynamic Warm-up
    Jumping Jacks: 1x30 reps
    Bodyweight Squats: 1x20
    Standing Lunges: 1x10 each leg
    Side Lunges: 1x10 each leg
    Arm Circles: 1x10 forward and backward
    Push-up Walkouts: 1x10

Circuit A
    Burpees: 1x10
    Sprinter Sit-ups: 1x5 each leg
    Hindu Push-ups: 1x10

Repeat Circuit A three times with 1:00 rest between circuits

Circuit B
    Clean and Press (95 lbs): 1x5
    Mountain Climbers: 1x10 each leg
    Forward Lunges: 1x8 each leg

Total time: 36 minutes
    Average Heart Rate: 138 (~ 80% MHR)

I actually did between 2 - 3 minutes rest between circuit A and B. I will work on getting that down next time.

Diet
    This is the basic diet I am currently following. It will probably be tweaked some soon. I believe it needs a little more protein and a little less fat.

Totals
    Calories: ~2000
    Protein: ~150 (30%)
    Fat: ~65 (30%)
    Carbs: ~200 (40%)

Breakfast
    2 Egg Whites
    2 Eggs
    2 Slices Lean Bacon
    Green Pepper (1 Ounce)
    Spinach (.5 Ounces)

Morning Snack
    Low Carb Tortilla
    American Cheese (1 Slice)
    Turkey (3 ounces)
    Spinach

Snack
    Grapefruit

Lunch
    Chicken Breast (3 ounces)
    Lettuce (2 ounces)
    Spinach (2 ounces)
    Carrots (2 ounces)
    Green Pepper (2 ounces)
    Feta Cheese (.5 ounce)
    Flaxseed (2 Tbsp)
    Olive Oil (1Tsp)
    Red Wine Vinegar (2 Tbsp)

Afternoon Snack
    Chicken Breast (3 ounces)
    Apple

Pre WO
    Xtend (2 scoops)
    NO-Xplod
    Dextrose (20 grams)

Dinner/PWO
    Brown Rice
    Fibrous Veggies
    Lean Meat (5 ounces)

Borris is a good man. You are in good hands. Good luck with your goals.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Borris is a good man. You are in good hands.
    No doubt, that Borris is an awesome cat - you're lucky to be working with him...wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    No doubt, that Borris is an awesome cat - you're lucky to be working with him...wish you the best.
    Thanks. I am really excited to see what his coaching can do for me.

Tuesday 9/9/08

Dynamic Warm-up
    Bodyweight Squats: 1x20

Circuit A

Repeat Circuit A three times with 1:00 rest

2:00 Minutes rest between Circuit A and B

Circuit B

Repeat Circuit B three times with 1:00 rest

Total time (excluding warmup): 20:15 minutes
    Average Heart Rate: 143 (~ 82% MHR)

Due to some misinterpretation I previously had this a little screwed up. Isaac set me straight. Although this is still pretty demanding for me, I managed to do it without any extra rest other than a few seconds here and there near the end. I also finally got the movement down for the sprinter sit-ups so I don't look like I am having a seizure anymore.

Got the next step in my program so that starts tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Borris is a good man. You are in good hands. Good luck with your goals.
    Thanks man. I just wish I would have found him a few years ago.

Good to see one of Isaac's clients up here. You're in more than capable hands. Isaac, Will, You and myself will have to get a session in together when I travel down to lift with Will.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Good to see one of Isaac's clients up here. You're in more than capable hands. Isaac, Will, You and myself will have to get a session in together when I travel down to lift with Will.
    Sounds like fun. How often do you get down this way?

9/10/2008

Dynamic Warm-up
    Overhead Squats: 1x20

Upper Body

Dumbbell Push-Presses: 4 sets of 8 reps (45 lbs)
    superset with:
    Pendlay Rows: 4x10 (115 lbs)

Spider Push-ups: 4x5 each side (10 push-ups)
    superset with:
    Barbell Curls: 4x8 (60 lbs)

Ab Circuit (repeat circuit three times, with one minute of rest between circuits):
    Sprinter Sit-ups: 1x10
    Toe Touches: 1x20
    Flutter Kicks: 1x20

20:00 of steady state cardio
    AHR: 138 (~78% MHR)

On the last set of Push-Presses I tweaked my lower back a bit. It was from a bit of fatigue and a lot of stupidity. I stretched it out on the floor for about 3 minutes before continuing with the next exercise.

The ab circuit was ugly. I am finally getting the Sprinter Sit-ups down though. I didn't get all of the Toe Touches and rested a few seconds each time to finish the Flutters. Man what a burn. Gonna look for the rest next time.

My back feels pretty good today so it is minor thank goodness. Took some Aleve last night and this morning. I might push training back one day or swap some stuff around to give it a bit more rest. We will see what the man says. I also am thinking about wearing a belt anytime I do a back exercise, not for support but for a reminder to keep it straight and keep my core tight. I usually do something stupid like this once a year or so and I need to be smarter than that.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Hey man, good work in here! Everyone is saying nice things about me, but that's the power of the internet: I can fool them all!

Seriously, all, this cat can work out. He approaches everything with focus, determination, and rationality. I'm having a blast working with him and he'll only see great success.

As for the back, if it's still feeling sore by about 3:30 today, then take the day off. Rest up, take a hot shower, and stretch if it feels tight.

I'd rather not see a belt during the conditioning work, but we'll work out some stabilization stuff. Keep up the good work!
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    Hey man, good work in here! Everyone is saying nice things about me, but that's the power of the internet: I can fool them all!

Seriously, all, this cat can work out. He approaches everything with focus, determination, and rationality. I'm having a blast working with him and he'll only see great success.

As for the back, if it's still feeling sore by about 3:30 today, then take the day off. Rest up, take a hot shower, and stretch if it feels tight.

I'd rather not see a belt during the conditioning work, but we'll work out some stabilization stuff. Keep up the good work!
    Will do boss. Yea, the belt maybe is not a great idea. If I was in better shape I would have not made this mistake. Anyway, it won't be the last one I make, just gotta learn from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempered View Post
    Sounds like fun. How often do you get down this way?
    I try to get down every six weeks or so. I'd like to get down more often but gas is a killer for the 4hrs one way drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    I try to get down every six weeks or so. I'd like to get down more often but gas is a killer for the 4hrs one way drive.
    Look me up the next time you come down. I am catching up on your journal now. I am still in the first part but it is some excellent work. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tempered View Post
    Look me up the next time you come down. I am catching up on your journal now. I am still in the first part but it is some excellent work. Keep it up!
    Haha I've been through so many phases that I've never stay constant enough to make any great gains. If I wasn't training for overall health, it was competitive grappling or now powerlifting. Even now I'm splitting my focus between powerlifting and overall conditioning. At this rate I'll continue to be mediocre, so don't expect anything impressive.

Haha it's all good man. Everybody benches like that until they're taught a much more efficient technique.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 09-17-2008 at 11:27 AM.

9/17/2008

Dynamic Warm-up
    Overhead Squats (bar only): 1x20

Lower Body
    One minute rest between sets and two minutes rest between exercises.

Front Squats: 4x8 (95 lbs)
    superset with:
    Mountain Climbers: 4x25

Walking Lunges holding dumbbells (20 lbs): 4x8 each leg
    superset with:
    Jump Squats: 4x10

Romanian Deadlifts: 3x12 (95 lbs)

20:00 minutes of steady state cardio

Total time: 58:00
    Average Heart Rate: 146 (~84% of MHR)

Another routine that looked easy on paper but kicked my sorry ass. Once I got to the second set of lunges I had to rest 20 - 30 seconds before I could do the jump squats. The burning in my legs was intense and it was hard to even stand up. I just tried to concentrate on getting through the next set or rep and once I actually finished there was the satisfaction that I am one step closer to my goals.

Props on hanging in there with the extremely hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Props on hanging in there with the extremely hard work.
    Thanks man! I am not so sure it is hard work or just me being out of shape. I am making progress though so that is what counts.

Thursday 9/18/08

Dynamic Warm-up

Circuit A

Circuit B

Repeat Circuit B three times with 1:00 rest between circuits

Total time: 28:30 minutes
    Average Heart Rate: 138 (~ 79% MHR)

Huge improvement over this same workout on the 6th. I dropped the total time by over 7 minutes (could not do the short rest periods the last time). It still left me winded but progress was made.
    Last edited by Tempered; 09-19-2008 at 10:49 AM.

9/19/2008

Dynamic Warm-up

Upper Body
    Dumbbell Push-Presses: 4 sets of 8 reps (40 lbs)
    superset with:
    Pendlay Rows: 4x10 (105 lbs)

Spider Push-ups: 4x5 each side (10 push-ups)
    superset with:
    Barbell Curls: 4x8 (65 lbs)

Ab Circuit (repeat circuit three times, with one minute of rest between circuits):
    Sprinter Sit-ups: 1x10
    Toe Touches: 1x20
    Flutter Kicks: 1x20

20:00 of steady state cardio

Total time: 59:00
    Average Heart Rate: 136 (~78% MHR)

I dropped the weights a little on the presses and rows just to make sure my back was still good. It seemed to hold up great. I increased the curls a bit and the last set had a bit of swing at the end. That is all good though cause some dude on the Internet told me that is how you get "Teh Gunz".

I managed to get the ab circuit done completely this time but still had to rest about 10 seconds in the middle of the last two sets of Toe Touches.

My weigh in today actually had me .2 pounds (173.4) heavier but I am not worried about it. I have lost 2.2 pounds over the last 3 weeks so the trend is still good. I also think I look a bit leaner so it is probably just some water weight.