The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

PL/OL Hybrid Routine - Is It Possible?

Hi group….first time poster.

I am 32 years old and I've evolved over the past few years from being the typical guy in the gym wasting his time with pointless exercises to someone who now takes strength training very seriously. I watched the Olympic weightlifting competitions last month and I became much more interested in learning the Olympic lifts. The closest I have come to Olympic weightlifting in the past are power cleans and front squats (which I still do - I rarely back squat). I know that the ship left the harbor long ago in terms of becoming an elite lifter in this arena, but I am always interested in anything that can increase my overall strength.

I was curious to know if there is such a thing as a blended routine involving powerlifting and an Olympic weightlifting? I researched a good bit and it seems that Olympic programs do not incorporate the bench press or the deadlift, and I would have a very hard time giving those up because I have worked so hard at them over the years. I haven't actually read this stated this directly, but I am getting that deadlifting may work against the techniques used in the Olympic lifts. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Anyway, if there are any of you who have gone through a PL/OL combo routine with any success, please let me know. It seems that if I could do both at the same time then it would be the best of both worlds in terms of increasing raw power and strength, however I know that I may have to chose one pather or the other.

Thanks in advance...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

there is a kid at my gym that always asks me this - but he wants to mix Oly lifting & westside together.

i do believe its possible, but i have not yet had time to sit down and write out how i would do it. i'm sure someone else can get back to you quicker than i.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Effect View Post

I am 32 years old and I've evolved over the past few years from being the typical guy in the gym wasting his time with pointless exercises to someone who now takes strength training very seriously. I watched the Olympic weightlifting competitions last month and I became much more interested in learning the Olympic lifts. The closest I have come to Olympic weightlifting in the past are power cleans and front squats (which I still do - I rarely back squat). I know that the ship left the harbor long ago in terms of becoming an elite lifter in this arena, but I am always interested in anything that can increase my overall strength.

I was curious to know if there is such a thing as a blended routine involving powerlifting and an Olympic weightlifting? I researched a good bit and it seems that Olympic programs do not incorporate the bench press or the deadlift, and I would have a very hard time giving those up because I have worked so hard at them over the years. I haven't actually read this stated this directly, but I am getting that deadlifting may work against the techniques used in the Olympic lifts. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Anyway, if there are any of you who have gone through a PL/OL combo routine with any success, please let me know. It seems that if I could do both at the same time then it would be the best of both worlds in terms of increasing raw power and strength, however I know that I may have to chose one pather or the other.

Thanks in advance...
    Seems that Something similar to Rippetoe would be a good starting point. I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish in each.

Lunar, where do you train in Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Lunar, where do you train in Seattle?
    I go to 2 gyms. One at my work in Seattle (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - I do most of my strength training there) and another near my home on the Sammamish Plateau (Columbia Athletic).
    Last edited by Lunar Effect; 09-08-2008 at 03:02 PM.

I think you could do it, but once you're no longer a beginner its going to be hard to keep progressing and adding weight without specializing in one or the other. Olympic lifting requires a lot of time spent with an empty bar or light weight working on form which will really suck up your time in the gym.

It won't be that hard to throw in some bench pressing on about any routine, but it will be hard to have bench presses, 1, 2, 3 board presses, floor presses, and lots of other stuff that will really help your bench when you can't make gains on just straight benching alone, when you're working on overhead pressing stuff too. Once you start to become stronger in one movement or the other its hard to specialize.

i think deadlifting and Oly lifting only become counterproductive once your numbers are pretty big.

Ever think about just throwing in overhead squatting with your powerlifting? You don't have to be a technitian to learn it and it develops the same kind of strength as if you had been cleaning, jerking, and snatching all along.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Ever think about just throwing in overhead squatting with your powerlifting? You don't have to be a technitian to learn it and it develops the same kind of strength as if you had been cleaning, jerking, and snatching all along.
    I started doing overhead squats several months ago, and holy **** what a workout those were. Unfortunately I didn't stick with them, but I may consider plugging them back in on my Wednesday workouts which is when I do lighter squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post

Ever think about just throwing in overhead squatting with your powerlifting?
    When in powerlifting are you gonna have a bar overhead. there really is no benifit for the PL side.
    Last edited by Sean Hatley; 09-08-2008 at 09:27 PM.
    Member of Society of Strength (Best Gym In Kansas City)
    We Cant Stop Here. This is Bat Country.
    Introduce a little Anarchy. Upset the established order. Then everything becomes Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hatley View Post
    When in powerlifting are you gonna have a bar overhead. there really is no benifit for the PL side.
    True, overhead squatting isn't going to do much for your squat, bench, or deadlift if your numbers are decent. It *might* help with your core work and stability, but then again you don't hear about many huge squatters doing much OH squatting.

But whoever said all the OP cared about was powerlifting? I got the impression he was interested in general strength training and fitness, in which case Overhead squats offer something powerlifting does not - shoulder and hip flexibility as well is wicked core strength. They're a great excercise, just check out dan john's writing on 'em: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/295/

Banned
    Just incorporate bench and deads as assistance following your olympic lifts, or devote a day or two a week to more traditional 'powerlifting' stuff and have 2 days of Oly stuff. Oly guys already use back squats as assistance, and you could do the same with other lifts, just keep an eye on your workload.

Dan John probably has something to say on this.
    Last edited by Brad08; 09-08-2008 at 03:15 PM.

Sarvamangalam!

Y E S !!!

Now we're talking....

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Effect View Post

Thanks in advance...
    YOu have to pick one or the other. I tried this hybrid type training and i didnt get really any gain out of it. To put it in easy trms I gained more out of a 4 Month PL cycle than i did in a Oly cycle. 2 different types movements. If you want to get stronger PL is a good road to take.
    Introduce a little Anarchy. Upset the established order. Then everything becomes Chaos.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hatley View Post
    YOu have to pick one or the other. I tried this hybrid type training and i didnt get really any gain out of it. To put it in easy trms I gained more out of a 4 Month PL cycle than i did in a Oly cycle. 2 different types movements. If you want to get stronger PL is a good road to take.
    You were listening!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    You were listening!!!
    Well DUH!!!