The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Squats - can't reach bar behind me

Hello, I just started lifting like a week ago for the first time in my life.
    I tried doing squats today but I found it hard to hold the bar (an olympic bar) behind my head with my hands. I had to use a very wide grip, with my hands basically right next to the discs. Even with such a wide grip I cannot get a firm hold on the bar, and I feel all contorted, with pain in my shoulders and arms, which is worsened by the weight of the bar. Basically to reach and grab the bar back there I have to really contort myself and even then i cant really fully wrap my palms around the bar, so it's actually resting on my fingers. It would be impossible for me to hold a heavy load in this stance.
    I would like to know if anyone knows what this problem might be due to (lack of flexibility or something), and if there's any solution. Also I would like to know if doing squats with the bar in front, resting on crossed arms is a practical for a beginner. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by JDOGG; 09-08-2008 at 07:01 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

sounds like you mostly just need to practice it. just stretch out your arms a little more. it'll come, you can do front squats too, but it wont be working the same as the back squats, i would do them both. you might also try taking a look at sensei's squat rx videos, just search, a bunch of stuff should come up. they're amazing videos, will teach you everything you need to know about squatting.
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Banned
    Stretching would be the key I would imagine. I can barely get my hands/bar to where it needs to be on my first few sets, but once I loosen up later in the workouts I can get pretty tight (in the good way)

http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnymnemonic2

The SquatRX videos are there, watch em all, they are excellent.

I got the idea to do dislocates before I squat from his videos and it helps me tremendously.

Good luck.

Try lowering the bar on your back a bit. Also, did you bench or do any other shoulder-related exercise before hand? If you did, you may have had a "pump" which is why you couldn't reach back as far. I know because I've tried squatting after benching and it just doesn't work.