Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Advice for first meet

  1. #1
    Getting stronger Donnajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    1,173

    Advice for first meet

    So I am deadlifting in my first meet this saturday the 13th.

    Since I am a newbie I need any and all advice.

    1) What should I bring that day?
    2) What food and how should I eat?
    3) What are some good mental techniques to fight being nervous and get pshyced to do my lift?
    4) Tell me anything I need to know that I do not know to ask too. LOL


    I am really nervous now already. LOL


    And Lones don't make fun of me. HaHa

  2. #2
    Getting stronger Donnajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    1,173
    also , another question.


    So I am deadlifting in my first Powerlifting meet this saturday.

    My goal is to hit 300 lbs on my third attempt. I almost got it all the way up just needed a little more hip drive and it would have happened a few weeks ago when I tried it.

    Anyway, My prior PR was 265.

    So I am thinking of doing this. Any opinions, thoughts advice.

    1st attempt 245 to build confidence and get the bar up.

    2cnd attempt 275 to get a PR

    3rd 300 lbs. and it would be awesome if I get it.

    Do you think these weight differences are too close together or just right. I don't want to wear myself out too much for my third lift.


    I am starting to get nervous...
    __________________

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnajo View Post
    also , another question.
    So I am deadlifting in my first Powerlifting meet this saturday.
    My first meet was a couple weeks ago. The intensity during the deadlifting was amazing. I think you'll find that you'll be able to deadlift more in the meet than during your gym workouts. At least I sure did.

    So I am thinking of doing this. Any opinions, thoughts advice.

    1st attempt 245 to build confidence and get the bar up.

    2cnd attempt 275 to get a PR

    3rd 300 lbs. and it would be awesome if I get it.

    Do you think these weight differences are too close together or just right. I don't want to wear myself out too much for my third lift.
    This is my feelings... Your first attempt should be a weight that you can easily do for 3 reps. Your second should be around your current 1 rep max. If you get the second lift, than push yourself really hard on the third one. Like I said, if you're like me heavy weight will feel lighter at the meet.

    I am starting to get nervous...
    Don't be. Personally, I can't wait until my next meet.

    4) Tell me anything I need to know that I do not know to ask too. LOL
    Relax and enjoy the meet. Watch the experienced guys and learn.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 09-07-2008 at 12:52 PM.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,096
    Did you do anything in between 265 and 300?

  5. #5
    Getting stronger Donnajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Did you do anything in between 265 and 300?
    Yeah, When I went for the 300 I did 265 and it was easy. Then I did the 300 and almost got it, just needed more hip drive, I am thinking 275 will be good for my second lift.

  6. #6
    Feasting Viking_Power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    286
    I don't have any advice, but good luck and pull hard. Let us know how you do.
    Age: 24
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 215
    Deadlift: 460
    Status: Bulking

  7. #7
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Did you do anything in between 265 and 300?
    Reko, she had already done a s*** ton of volume, and she kept telling me she wanted 300 that day so i told her to go for it. she almost got it, she got to the point to where she needed to block out the pain, and didn't stick with it. i think once she learns how to strain she will be able to push right through that point.

    don't forget your singlet. bring your bag with your belt and your chalk. don't worry about an energy drink, i know you are sensitive to them, so i wouldn't mess around with them. you don't need them anyway. bring some salty foods for your blood pressure. you are doing deadlift ONLY, so you should be fresh when the deadlifts come around.

    eat heavy carbs the day before, but nothing too out of the ordinary. this goes for the foods you bring to the meet as well, heavy carbs, but nothing too out of the ordinary. keep your diet close to what its normally like.

    weigh ins are 8-10 am the day of, so get there early to weigh in. don't try to cut any weight, this is your first meet. go into the warm up room and find us a corner to sit in! i will be there around 9:30. meet starts at 10.

    watch everyone warm up, and listen to what the guys who know what they are doing. be a silent sponge. save questions until the end. everyone is going to be focusing on their own lifts, including myself. i will help you with your warmups and what flight you are in.

    for your first meet, take it all in, watch how the meet works, hit an easy opener, and see how the weights feel from there. you should have an idea in your head for what you want your 2nd attempt to be, but wait until you see how you do with your 2nd before you decide your 3rd. you tell them what your first attempt is when you weigh in/register. you tell them what your 2nd attempt will at the announcing table after you complete your first attempt, same for the 3rd attempt. don't forget the down command, thats the only one you will have in the deadlift. just watch the judges arm.

    as for mental techniques, its different for everyone. you will figure out real quick what gets you ready for a lift. i think about the countless hours i've put in training for this meet, how bad i want this lift, the scars, the gallons of sweat, the hours i've spent driving just for training sessions, the things i've been told by guys stronger than me, the money i've put into my lifting, and the passion i have for lifting. close your eyes and make yourself nail the lift. picture the white lights.

    remember: its just lifting weights. we do it because its fun and we enjoy it. this is not brain surgery, or a wedding, so there is no reason to be nervous. go there and have fun. smash some weights.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  8. #8
    Getting stronger Donnajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking_Power View Post
    I don't have any advice, but good luck and pull hard. Let us know how you do.

    Thanks , I will.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnajo View Post
    Yeah, When I went for the 300 I did 265 and it was easy. Then I did the 300 and almost got it, just needed more hip drive, I am thinking 275 will be good for my second lift.
    Since the 265 was easy....
    275/305/??? (depending on how easy the 305 is, 320-345 range).
    Thats my guess.

    At my last (and only) PL meet my PR was either 550 or 565 I think. I went 525/575 PR / 600 miss.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    go there and have fun. smash some weights.
    word.

  11. #11
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Since the 265 was easy....
    275/305/??? (depending on how easy the 305 is, 320-345 range).
    Thats my guess.

    At my last (and only) PL meet my PR was either 550 or 565 I think. I went 525/575 PR / 600 miss.
    this is another way to do it, make your 2nd attempt a 5 lb PR. i'm trying to get her to be a bit more conservative though, this is her first meet and she's only been training powerlifting for less than 10 weeks.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  12. #12
    Getting stronger Donnajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Reko, she had already done a s*** ton of volume, and she kept telling me she wanted 300 that day so i told her to go for it. she almost got it, she got to the point to where she needed to block out the pain, and didn't stick with it. i think once she learns how to strain she will be able to push right through that point.

    don't forget your singlet. bring your bag with your belt and your chalk. don't worry about an energy drink, i know you are sensitive to them, so i wouldn't mess around with them. you don't need them anyway. bring some salty foods for your blood pressure. you are doing deadlift ONLY, so you should be fresh when the deadlifts come around.

    eat heavy carbs the day before, but nothing too out of the ordinary. this goes for the foods you bring to the meet as well, heavy carbs, but nothing too out of the ordinary. keep your diet close to what its normally like.

    weigh ins are 8-10 am the day of, so get there early to weigh in. don't try to cut any weight, this is your first meet. go into the warm up room and find us a corner to sit in! i will be there around 9:30. meet starts at 10.

    watch everyone warm up, and listen to what the guys who know what they are doing. be a silent sponge. save questions until the end. everyone is going to be focusing on their own lifts, including myself. i will help you with your warmups and what flight you are in.

    for your first meet, take it all in, watch how the meet works, hit an easy opener, and see how the weights feel from there. you should have an idea in your head for what you want your 2nd attempt to be, but wait until you see how you do with your 2nd before you decide your 3rd. you tell them what your first attempt is when you weigh in/register. you tell them what your 2nd attempt will at the announcing table after you complete your first attempt, same for the 3rd attempt. don't forget the down command, thats the only one you will have in the deadlift. just watch the judges arm.

    as for mental techniques, its different for everyone. you will figure out real quick what gets you ready for a lift. i think about the countless hours i've put in training for this meet, how bad i want this lift, the scars, the gallons of sweat, the hours i've spent driving just for training sessions, the things i've been told by guys stronger than me, the money i've put into my lifting, and the passion i have for lifting. close your eyes and make yourself nail the lift. picture the white lights.

    remember: its just lifting weights. we do it because its fun and we enjoy it. this is not brain surgery, or a wedding, so there is no reason to be nervous. go there and have fun. smash some weights.
    Great advice Lones. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    this is another way to do it, make your 2nd attempt a 5 lb PR. i'm trying to get her to be a bit more conservative though, this is her first meet and she's only been training powerlifting for less than 10 weeks.
    10 weeks? lol, a rookie!


    hmm, as long as the first lift is easy to make sure she gets in the meet the rest should be whatever feels best to go for a PR. Weather its the second or third. I think you two (mostly her) will have to judge based on the speed of the opener and go from there.

  14. #14
    Getting stronger Donnajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    10 weeks? lol, a rookie!


    hmm, as long as the first lift is easy to make sure she gets in the meet the rest should be whatever feels best to go for a PR. Weather its the second or third. I think you two (mostly her) will have to judge based on the speed of the opener and go from there.

    I have been weight lifting for years. But just started to do powerlifting. So I am a rookie to that.

    So base the second lift on how easy the first goes then.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,096
    Yup. I mean, I would think you would have an idea going in, ie if its easy I will up it by 30 pounds, if its tough ill up it by 15 or something like that. I'm just pulling those numbers out of the sky as an example, but something like that.

  16. #16
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,266
    I think your attempts sound about right. As far as food/drinks/supplements go, I would eat/drink everything you normally do before you train. You are only going to deadlift, which is the fastest of the three lifts at a meet. It won't take very long. Good luck and have fun!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  17. #17
    ANVIL POWER Detard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,533
    Lones gave some solid advice. It really makes all the difference in the world having someone help you, who knows what their doing. Bring an ipod or something to listen to between lifts and to get you pumped. Good luck!
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

    "im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

    TJW

  18. #18
    NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    GREAT BLUEGRASS STATE
    Posts
    1,158
    COMPETITION EQUIPMENT CHECK LIST

    1. Gym bag
    2. dl suit or none for unequipped lifting
    3. wrist wraps
    4. singlet
    5. belt
    6. Cooler
    7. Protein shake & variety of snacks
    8. H20
    9. Towel
    10. Camera
    11. Membership card
    12. Extra $$$$
    13. Extra clothes
    14. Pen
    15. Rubbing ointment
    16. Deodorant
    17. Vitamin H20
    TRAIN HARD

    "BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

    http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

    611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

  19. #19
    Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,090
    DJ, I'll be there too (so if you need to ask questions (lol) shoot 'em my way since I'm not lifting)--did you ya check the list I gave you on your other journal? It's mostly the same as the one that NASKYChairman gave here (thks!) bring the baby powder/chalk just in case. I'll help w/the flight info too and when to start warming up based on your position in the flight.

    Lones/ if you need the knees wrapped I'm here as a backup if needed. - oh, I can probably get them even tighter

    You two will rock the house...

  20. #20
    Getting stronger Donnajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by lil' power View Post
    DJ, I'll be there too (so if you need to ask questions (lol) shoot 'em my way since I'm not lifting)--did you ya check the list I gave you on your other journal? It's mostly the same as the one that NASKYChairman gave here (thks!) bring the baby powder/chalk just in case. I'll help w/the flight info too and when to start warming up based on your position in the flight.

    Lones/ if you need the knees wrapped I'm here as a backup if needed. - oh, I can probably get them even tighter

    You two will rock the house...

    Yes I saw it. I had dreams all night about the meet. In my dream I forgot my bag with my belt and my food. Then I could not find you or Lones anywhere and they were dragging me up to this weird machine to stretch me before my lift and I kept thinking Vicki and Lones never told me about this. LOL

    I am a nut
    Last edited by Donnajo; 09-08-2008 at 10:46 AM.

  21. #21
    Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnajo View Post
    Then I could not find you or Lones anywhere and they were dragging me up to this weird machine to stretch me before my lift and I kept thinking Vicki and Lones never told me about this. LOL
    rofl...that's a good one. Just spoke to my old trainer and he's lifting equipped (I think his openers are Bench 465 and DL 540) and bringing a girl who also just started, she'll probably be in the 181's and is doing raw bench and raw DL...(ssh...you can already lift more than her) I'll introduce you at the meet. You won't be the only newbie (and female at that!)

    It's going to be a big meet and greet! What fun we will have.

  22. #22
    Lexen Xtreme
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    this is another way to do it, make your 2nd attempt a 5 lb PR. i'm trying to get her to be a bit more conservative though, this is her first meet and she's only been training powerlifting for less than 10 weeks.
    I agree with this conservative approach Lones and Donna. Pick an opener that you KNOW that you can get even if you're not feeling your best. You don't want to bomb out of your first meet if something goes wrong. The main goals of your first meet are to 1) get meet experience under your belt, and 2) set baseline meet PR's to work from going forward. Great if you get that 300! No big deal if not, the meet experience at this point will be more valuable.

  23. #23
    Getting stronger Donnajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by lil' power View Post
    rofl...that's a good one. Just spoke to my old trainer and he's lifting equipped (I think his openers are Bench 465 and DL 540) and bringing a girl who also just started, she'll probably be in the 181's and is doing raw bench and raw DL...(ssh...you can already lift more than her) I'll introduce you at the meet. You won't be the only newbie (and female at that!)

    It's going to be a big meet and greet! What fun we will have.
    Yippee! I am not the only newbie.Can't wait to meet her. I am getting more excited.

    Quote Originally Posted by 275er View Post
    I agree with this conservative approach Lones and Donna. Pick an opener that you KNOW that you can get even if you're not feeling your best. You don't want to bomb out of your first meet if something goes wrong. The main goals of your first meet are to 1) get meet experience under your belt, and 2) set baseline meet PR's to work from going forward. Great if you get that 300! No big deal if not, the meet experience at this point will be more valuable.
    Great reminder of my goals. Thanks!

  24. #24
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by lil' power View Post
    DJ, I'll be there too (so if you need to ask questions (lol) shoot 'em my way since I'm not lifting)--did you ya check the list I gave you on your other journal? It's mostly the same as the one that NASKYChairman gave here (thks!) bring the baby powder/chalk just in case. I'll help w/the flight info too and when to start warming up based on your position in the flight.

    Lones/ if you need the knees wrapped I'm here as a backup if needed. - oh, I can probably get them even tighter

    You two will rock the house...
    i might need your help! honestly i've felt most comfortable wrapping them myself at meets, but i trust you! i need that couple of minutes before a lift to focus
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  25. #25
    Getting stronger Donnajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    i might need your help! honestly i've felt most comfortable wrapping them myself at meets, but i trust you! i need that couple of minutes before a lift to focus
    Vicki is mom. She will take care of you. Now, me. She may have to knock me on the head a few times. LOL.

Similar Threads

  1. Bp Meet Results
    By NASAKYCHAIRMAN in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 07:11 AM
  2. My Meet results APF/AAPF New York Champs
    By Chris Rodgers in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 12:03 AM
  3. ron coleman classic meet results!
    By thewicked in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 06:39 AM
  4. 12 days out from deadlift state meet.. advice
    By dxiw in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 05:26 AM
  5. First pl meet next month?
    By gregory1978 in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 05:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •