The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Feedback on this 12 week plan

Hello all... well I've just complete my second 12 week cycle of the EliteFTS Beginners manual. The last month of my first go around and these past 12 weeks have been my most consistent and motivated training that I've done in about a year and the results were great - all my lifts (all raw with no belt or straps) are up after testing - bench 290; squat 325; deadlift 465. Now I know not great numbers, but I'm happy that I'm getting stronger and finally understanding how this works. Its been years of 5 x 5 programs and while I was introduced to Westside style programs about 4 years ago, I didn't dedicate myself to them like I should have and didn't reap the rewards I should have. So now I've come up with a few ideas based on Wendler's Triumvirate article. I feel that my hamstrings and triceps are my weakest points so I'm hoping that what I've put together makes sense and will be useful so without further rambling here goes:

DE Upper:

Dynamic Bench done 6x2 with a 55%; 60%; 65% 3 week wave
    plus =
    Wave 1: Chins; Dips; Rack Lockouts; Cable Ab pulldowns
    Wave 2: Chins; Dips; Barbell Extensions; Cable Ab pulldowns
    Wave 3: Chins; Dips; Tate Presses;Cable Ab pulldowns
    Wave 4: Chins; Dips;Cable Ab pulldowns

ME LOWER:

Wave 1: High Box Squat; GHR; 45 back raise; weighted sit-ups
    Wave 2: Deadlifts of raised surface: GM's; 45 back raise; weighted sit-ups
    Wave 3: Reverse Band Squats; GHR; 45 back raise; weighted sit-ups
    Wave 4: Pin Pulls; GM's; 45 Back Raise; weighted sit-ups

ME UPPER:

Wave 1: Floor Press; DB Bench Press; DB Rows; Cable Ab pulldowns
    Wave 2: 2 Board Press; DB Military Press; Chest Supported work; Cable Ab pulldowns
    Wave 3: Reverse Band Bench; DB Incline Press; DB Rows; Cable Ab pulldowns
    Wave 4: Close Grip Bench; DB Bench; Supported Rows; Cable Ab pulldowns

DE LOWER:

Speed Box Squats and Speed Deadlifts with a 55%; 60%; 65% 3 week wave
    plus =
    Wave 1: Zercher Squats; Romanian DB D/L; Hanging Leg Raises
    Wave 2: Power Squats; Romanian DB D/L; Hanging Leg Raises
    Wave 3: Leg Press; Romanian DB D/L; Hanging Leg Raises
    Wave 4: DB Step ups; Romanian DB D/L; Hanging Leg Raises
    ***chose Romanian DB D/L as I don't have access to a reverse hyper

All accessory work will go:

week 1: 3 sets X 10 reps
    week 2: 4 sets X 10 reps
    week 3: 4 sets X 6 reps (my thinking is ME this week is for new PR so lower volume and heavier weights for everything)
    *** the rack lockouts will go in a wave of sets/reps of 3x5; 4x 5; 4x3

ME Waves will be done like this:

Week 1: 50% x 5; 60% x 3; 70% x 2; 80% x 1; 90% x 1; 100% x 1; 90% x 1 for 2 - 5 additional sets

Week 2: 50% x 5; 60% x 3; 70% x 2; 80% x 1; 90% x 5-7 sets x 1

Week 3: 50% x 5; 60% x 3; 70% x 2; 80% x 1; 90% x 1; 100% x 1 (this should be a new PR)

Week 4: start new wave like week 1 based on the week 3 PR on new exercise

Okay I know that it's a long post but any help would be greatly appreciated! Fire away!

If it matters, I'm 33 years old; 230lbs; 5'11"; and have been lifting for about 15 years, but only in the last year really started to understand importance of goal setting and establishing real consistency everywhere.
    Last edited by huskybear; 09-08-2008 at 06:52 AM.
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

give it a try. you should be getting to the point where you know whats gonna work for you, it looks solid.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    give it a try. you should be getting to the point where you know whats gonna work for you, it looks solid.
    You would think so lol... but for so long doing crappy bodybuilding stuff and stalling and not being truly strong, and only now beginning to understand recognizing weaknesses and the relationship between main lifts and accessories, when I put this together from what I have been reading just wanted to make sure thinking was right...

feedback much appreciated hombre!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    I like the way its look but i dont like the reverse band stuff false since of whats really going on. Also if your training raw you might wanna consider some high in brd work with bands to really work the lock out.
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

Thanks Eric... my thinking on the reverse band stuff was to handle heavier weight through the full range of motion... figured this way I would be overloading my lockout and still handling heavier weights throughout, helping my technique with heavy stuff. Make sense? As for the lockout... I thought about it, and my worst part on bench in in the low portion of the movement, so i thought the 2 board would really focus on helping this area of weakness... part of why I think too I have weak triceps... my lockout work had me working well about my bench 1RM (315-335lbs through 4-6board work) but my failure happened at the bottom of the movement... this make sense for the selection?

Thanks again for the help!

My Journal

low board work is good for a weakness off the chest/low in the press. speed work is what helped me with that problem though. if you have access to a camber bar, try benching with that off a 2 board. also, illegal wide bench presses. wouldn't go any lower than reps of 6, i've really messed my shoulder up doing them raw.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Thanks lones... for the speed work, I want to incorporate bands, using them every other wave, so 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off? sound reasonable?

and the illegal wides, should I do them as a main ME movement in place of the 2 board, or try to get them in as an accessory movement? don't have access to the cambered bar unfortunately.

All the feedback is greatly appreciated... looking forward to starting this training cycle this week!

My Journal

you could do them for either one - i like doing them as a ME movement though. you could even do them on a DE day as reps of 8-12. just be careful with them!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com