The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member captain_stregla's Avatar

need help replacing squats

hey,

I recently came to a town where the only gym I have access to does not have a squat rack... considering i use to olympic lift, and so squatted 3-4 times a week (front and back), this is very depressing.

i was wondering if i could get any ideas to help me formulate a leg routine that will at least let me maintain the size of my legs and hopefully some of the conditioning i've built up over the last while..

what the gym does have for legs is a smith machine, leg extension, a reverse leg extension (where you sit down and push the bar down with your hams), a crappy leg press that isnt even enough for the average joe at max weight, and abductor machines.

the ideas i currently have going in my head are ramping up the amount and intensity of clean pulls i'll do... throw in split squats twice a week, as well as straight leg deadlifts, and top it off with some leg extensions. I would only try to clean max around 70kg and then press it up and get it behind my head for back squats, and probably the same for front squats, for obvious safety reasons..not being able to rack it afterwards and needing to save energy for getting it back down on the floor safely..etc.. so its a pretty far cry from the 150kg i would usually do..

I also considered trying to work in some walk/sprint kind of routine but i have no experience with that kind of stuff

anyways, i'll keep thinkin on it and any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    trap bar deads, either from the floor or standing on a block? that's a quad-dominant movement

Hack squats and leg presses.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Banned
    clean + front squat

I think you could do a zercher squat... I saw a video where he picked it up from the floor that way.

Trying not to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by McLaughlin View Post
    I think you could do a zercher squat... I saw a video where he picked it up from the floor that way.
    What? I'd like to see that. His shins must be 6" long.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    clean + front squat
    Unless he has a very light front squat I dont see how he's suppose to do it without a rack.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Wannabebig New Member captain_stregla's Avatar
    thanks for the help guys..

i plan to do cleans.. but only like 2-3 reps max..
    ya i can't clean up my front squat working weight.. or even if i did, i wouldnt be able to put it down after.. can't drop the weights like that in here..

those zercher squats.. same thing, need a rack to pick any significant amount of weight up..

i'm gonna do the leg presses, but like i said.. the weight you can put on the thing is pretty limited..

i was just lookin up hack squats.. and im happy with what i saw.. looks like a decent sub for the squats..

anyways.. thanks again

Banned
    What about cleans then either front squat grip lunges or press it over head to the back squat spot to do lunges like that?
    Last edited by Reko; 09-09-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Banned
    since you specified legs (as opposed to quads) you might as well do normal deadlifts, maybe RDLs/SLDLs too, just go get somethign in you know?

barbell hack squat, walking lunges with dumbells or a barbell(clean it up), stiff legs, regular deads.

I can't believe no one said find a new gym.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!