The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Further Evidence That Majority of Society Are Sheep

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=6378918

This along with the Greyhound incident that occurred not too long ago cement the idea in my mind that most of the people in our society are pussies. In both instance, scores of people watched on and fled while an innocent person was brutally assaulted. They're then applauded for doing nothing and for not interfering. ****ing ridiculous.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sweet, the guy was chanting "Allah" as he did this.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Banned
    No body reported it and no witnesses? wtf?
    Was that a hammer?

The incident in Philly was with a hammer. The incident on the Greyhound is where the guy took a knife and literally sawed the guys head off in front of everybody while they all ran off the bus and were praised for doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    The incident on the Greyhound is where the guy took a knife and literally sawed the guys head off in front of everybody while they all ran off the bus and were praised for doing nothing.
    I thought that happened in Australia, or somewhere else?
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders

Yeah that seems about right.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    I thought that happened in Australia, or somewhere else?
    Canada

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=692762
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Don't be so quick to judge guys. Have you ever been in that sort of situation? I have. 6 months ago I was buying bread in chicago when I saw a couple walk into the convenience store. This skinny ass black dude was WAILING on this chick who was carrying something. He punched her square in the face about a foot away from me. I was standing there, bread and wallet in hand, SHOCKED, along with everyone else in the store. After a few moments of watching this guy pulverize this chick I finally demanded that the store owner call the police (my phone was out of bats), and I stood there debating on whether or not I should get involved. I learned that they were fighting over a baby that was crying in her arms. They went from isle to isle, running into food, groceries, bumping into the manager, no one did anything. Now, I'm 5'10, 190 lbs, had wrestled for 4 years. This guy couldn't have been over 140. I could have taken him apart. Right as I'm thinking about doing something I see him whip out a knife and put it to this girl's throat. By then I'm in absolute awe - five minutes ago I'm buying bread, now someone's about to die in front of me.

Well, someone eventually yelled COPS COPS! and the guy turned tail and ran. The whole thing lasted less than a few minutes, and everyone was in so much shock most everybody left. A few people finished buying their groceries. the store owner continued smoking his cigarette outside. The chick was holding tears back, badly bruised, and didn't respond when I asked if she was ok.

I was shooken up over this for weeks. Still am. When it happens to you you won't even believe its real, it'll be like watching a movie. Maybe you'll act, maybe you won't, but I learned that day I did the bravest and smartest thing anyone could have by demanding that that lady call the police. If I would have got involved he probably would have stabbed me and maybe I wouldn't be here today posting this, maybe the chick would be dead too because no one else could stop gaping and pick up the phone.

I have no idea what it would be like to see someone killed right in front of me, and neither do any of you. the whole thing probably happened so fast no one probably had a chance to do anything, its too much of a reality ****. I mean, what where they going to do? seriously? band together with six other people, overpower man and gloriously save the day? it was probably 2 AM and eveyrone was sleeping. someone sees a knife, bus driver stops the bus, everyone's scared ****less of GETTING STABBED so they run off the bus. end of story.

Now, as for the thing with the hammer, I didn't watch the video. Its a shame no one called the police, but I wasn't there, so I don't judge.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    I mean, what where they going to do? seriously? band together with six other people, overpower man and gloriously save the day?
    Yes that is exactly what you ****ing do. If 5 people won't do it, you go by yourself. I don't see how you can possibly say you'd sit there and watch someone be killed right in front of you and not do anything. I can't imagine going day to day knowing I let someone be murdered when I had both the opportunity and proximity to help. It's like the saying goes, when shots are fired there are those that run, those that take cover and call in what they saw, and then those that run towards the shots.

I'm don't know how I forgot this example. I'm not sure if I posted this on the board but a couple of months ago there was the news release about the man who was smashing his toddler on the pavement in the middle of the road. 8-10 people stood around his car while this guy literally bashed his small child to death and NOT ONE person stepped in to stop him. It took a deputy that was flying over in a helicopter to land in a field and shoot him through an electric fence. Both the man and child died.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    . Maybe you'll act, maybe you won't, but I learned that day I did the bravest and smartest thing anyone could have by demanding that that lady call the police. If I would have got involved he probably would have stabbed me and maybe I wouldn't be here today posting this, maybe the chick would be dead too because no one else could stop gaping and pick up the phone.

So you would've been alright if that man had started stabbing the child along with the woman because you stood by and called the cops?

Edit: For the record, I'm not trying to dogpile on you, just get you to take a step back and think about if it happened again.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 09-11-2008 at 07:45 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Yes that is exactly what you ****ing do. If 5 people won't do it, you go by yourself. I don't see how you can possibly say you'd sit there and watch someone be killed right in front of you and not do anything. I can't imagine going day to day knowing I let someone be murdered when I had both the opportunity and proximity to help. It's like the saying goes, when shots are fired there are those that run, those that take cover and call in what they saw, and then those that run towards the shots.

I'm don't know how I forgot this example. I'm not sure if I posted this on the board but a couple of months ago there was the news release about the man who was smashing his toddler on the pavement in the middle of the road. 8-10 people stood around his car while this guy literally bashed his small child to death and NOT ONE person stepped in to stop him. It took a deputy that was flying over in a helicopter to land in a field and shoot him through an electric fence. Both the man and child died.

What is wrong with people? Who does that to a kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    What is wrong with people? Who does that to a kid?
    The more I work towards getting into law enforcement and the more I hang out with my buddies that are .mil or LEO, the more I see there are those out there that have no qualms with committing attrocious acts.

As for that specific situation, I'm equally as sickened by the fact that a large group of people stood by and watched that happen. I can't quite put into words what I feel about those people.

I've done both. I have stepped in and not stepped in. Two stories.

I was walking into the bar I worked at and I was walking past an alley where these two guys were shoving some girl around. She looked like she was a bar patron that went into the alley to take a leak since the girls bathroom is always packed. The two guys kind of looked like crackheads, not homeless just not really dressed up to go to the bars in that area. So I just took off running down the alley and flying knee the one guy from the side, bumping the two together. I kind of grabbed the girl by the arm and put her behind me and started backing up the alley. The closer we got to the street the more people saw what was happening, so the guys took off down the alley. Nice thing is, she was pretty hot and had hot friends.

Other story, black guy was at this BBQ joint my wife and I were at. He was noticeably drunk and was going table to table harrassing the patrons, taking fries off their table, squirting ketchup on their food, stuff like that. The manager asks him to leave, and the guy starts going on some rant about racism and how all these white people owe him food for enslaving his ancestors etc.etc. He started coming towards our table and I just sat their staring at him - not like I'm a tough guy, but I was definetly a lot bigger then him and he just bipassed us. We got up and took our food outside. Two seconds later the cops showed up.

I'm married and have kids so my first priority is to make sure they are safe. If a child or woman is being attacked by a man then all bets off, if he has a knife or gun then wait for the cops. If it is man on man and it appears one guy is giving up and there is an oppotunrity to break it up, then yes jump in. If it is a group of guys wathcing their buddy kick the crap out of a guy then stay away. If you are at a restaurant or store and someone is being aggressive and swearing then let the managers deal with it, if they come at me or my family then its time to rock. Granted I am a lot older then most here, if I was 15-25yrs old and had no responsibilities then it was green light all the time unless the numbers were not in my favor.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

I think your second scenario is a bit different than what I was outlining with my examples, but I get what you're saying. I also think you would've stepped in in all the situations I've mentioned.

The situation involving the man smashing his toddler on the pavement sickens me more than any of the others. To watch someone do that to a helpless child. How the hell do you go home and look at yourself in the mirror?

And for the record, I'm not talking about little bar brawls or altercations in the parking lot. People do stupid things and there's no reason to get involved. I'm talking about where people are attempting to kill innocent human beings.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 09-11-2008 at 08:55 AM.

I have also jumped in to help someone in need. Me and my dad were driving home from my hockey game one night when we passed a park where a guy was getting **** kicked. My dad quickly stopped the car we both ran over. As soon as the people giving the beating saw us, they bolted. The guy was beat up pretty bad but said he was fine to walk home. Never found out anything more about that situation other than that we may have saved his life by simply running over.

The way I met one of my girlfriends was at a party. Some guy started shoving her around when she told him to leave (he wasn't invited to this party). I stood by, watching at first, but as soon as he laid a hand on her, I, along with her brother (didnt know it was her brother at the time) stepped in. Turns out the guy was with about 5 other people. I grabbed the guy by the throat and told him to back up and leave. Next thing I know, one of the guys he was with throws a punch at another guy backing us up. A big brawl broke out (probably 15 people involved) and I ended up getting hit quite a few times. It was a small price to pay as I knew I did the right thing in stepping in because I had no doubt this guy would have hit her. I was brought up to never lay a finger on a girl, so if I see someone doing it, you better bet i'll get in your face.

These situations are obviously much smaller than the OP, so I cant really say I would have stepped in for sure, but I THINK I would.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    nobody knows what they'll do in an extreme situation until it happens.

you know what you'd LIKE to do, and even what you OUGHT to do, but in the meantime, the talk is just macho BS.

you don't know if you'll freeze, cower, or leap into the fray and take charge.

and the entire equation is changed by life's circumstances (kids, single, young, old, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    nobody knows what they'll do in an extreme situation until it happens.

you know what you'd LIKE to do, and even what you OUGHT to do, but in the meantime, the talk is just macho BS.

you don't know if you'll freeze, cower, or leap into the fray and take charge.

and the entire equation is changed by life's circumstances (kids, single, young, old, etc.).

It's easy to sit on the internet and second guess peoples' actions based on a couple of articles.

mmm... discipline
    what brad and jorge said.

Very few people would be willing to confront an armed maniac. It sounds good to say that you would step in, and you feel obligated to say that, but the reality is much more complicated.

I work at a restaurant/bar, and one night this big guy at the bar was pretty wasted. Him and the sober guy next to him started exchanging words. It escalated pretty quickly so some of the bartenders and other employees told them to cool it. The sober guy listened and said he wasn't looking for a fight, the big drunk guy stood up and started yelling at everyone. One of the female bartended yelled at him to leave, then he started yelling/threatening her. I was standing right behind the guy so I came up to him and told him to calm down or leave. The guy pushed me back behind him so the female bartender told him to leave one last time. The guy was pissed as hell so he threw his beer glass over the bar and hit her in the head. She went straight down so I just sucker punched the mother f'er from the side and he went down too. The managers had everyone clear out of the bar and the cops were called. They checked the security tapes and asked us all some questions and determined I was defending myself, then they took the guy and the bartender to the hospital. Don't know what ended up happening to him but nothing happened to me. It was cool.
    Last edited by Phenom; 09-11-2008 at 10:21 AM.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I work at a restaurant/bar, and one night this big guy at the bar was pretty wasted. Him and the sober guy next to him started exchanging words. It escalated pretty quickly so some of the bartenders and other employees told them to cool it. The sober guy listened and said he wasn't looking for a fight, the big drunk guy stood up and started yelling at everyone. One of the female bartended yelled at him to leave, then he started yelling/threatening her. I was standing right behind the guy so I came up to him and told him to calm down or leave. The guy pushed me back behind him so the female bartender told him to leave one last time. The guy was pissed as hell so he threw his beer glass over the bar and hit her in the head. She went straight down so I just sucker punched the mother f'er from the side and he went down too. The managers had everyone clear out of the bar and the cops were called. They checked the security tapes and asked us all some questions and determined I was defending myself, then they took the guy and the bartender to the hospital. Don't know what ended up happening to him but nothing happened to me. It was cool.

What were you doing in a bar at your age?

LOL, even if you weren't defending yourselves I bet the cops would of smiled at you and said nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by =Travis= View Post
    What were you doing in a bar at your age?
    That's not a serious question, is it?
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 09-11-2008 at 10:59 AM.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

I've bounced at plenty of bars where some of the servers were underage. You can't sell alcohol if you're under 21 but you can serve it, I think.

I agree with those that said you never know what you'll do until you're in that situation. I've been in plenty of different scenarios and seen plenty of different outcomes. You never know who has a gun or who has a knife. You might try to step in, only to get knifed or get shot yourself, and you outrage the guy enough to not stop at you. It can quickly go from assault to a multiple homicide.

I do think that more people need to have stronger backbones but people enjoy having as little responsibility as possible for themselves and others.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Banned
    That's not a serious question, is it?
    No, I just figured I'd make a rhetorical statement relating to your age and the obvious illegality of consuming alcohol.

You don't ever really know until you're there. I've been on both sides a few times.

One time, one of my chronic illnesses flared up and I collapsed at a major bus stop, gasping for help. People kind of ran away from me/stepped over me while I lost consciousness. I was pissed about that for years, since I slipped into shock in 7 degree celsius weather wearing a security guard t-shirt. I swore I'd help if I ever saw someone in need.

So one night I heard a commotion outside the building I was guard for. It was outside of the security perimeter, by a lot, but I heard screaming and it was a girl who's boyfriend was strangling her. I called control and ran over, yelling at him to get off her, ready to smash him in the head with the radio if I needed to. He did, and was easily twice my size, but kept yelling at her until the cops showed, then he bolted. She didn't press charges, and in fact was pissed that I got involved, and when I asked if I could the cops just sort of helplessly shook their heads and that was the end of it.

Then another time an elderly woman went into an epiletic seizure on a bus. I have an epiletic friend and knew what to be doing... but instead I did nothing except yell at the bus driver to stop the bus and call an ambulance. Someone else leapt in to take care of her, but it wasn't me.

Finally, I live in the slums. People yell, swear, fight, rape, and kill each other all the time. I used to look out the window to see what was going on, but after 5 years of it I just close the window and go back to sleep.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg