The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar

North American Strongman National Championships

Just got back from the NAS Strongman National Championships out in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was a two day contest with 8 total events including two medleys on the second day, a car deadlift, and some strongman favorites like the log press, atlas stones, tire flip, farmers walk, and yoke walk.

After day one I was in 2nd place out of a field of 48 tough competitors, and after a close battle on day two ended up finishing the contest in 3rd place in the overall LW (under 231.5 lbs) weighing just 215 lbs and with only a few weeks of preparation.

John Schuna won his Pro Card and seasoned competitor Tom Kaufman (2005 200 lbs National Champion) was right there with him up until the final event, and it came down to a foot race on the 9,800 lbs truck push.

I had a great time out there and managed to secure a great placing despite hitting only one PR out of the 8 events. AtLarge provided me with some great supplements to get ready for the contest and will be looking to continue to make some solid gains in the upcoming months
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Good job.

Wow, awsome man congrats on the 3rd place finish. Do you have any video of any of the events?
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

I thought there were only 2 strongman weight classes, over and under 105 kilos? am i mistaken and if so what are the classes?
    All Time 198 Squat Record of 1,050 pounds
    http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?...e=&category=tr

All Time 220 Squat Record of 1,100 pounds

** 1063 squat , 611 bench, and 733 deadlift for 2408 Total
    All Time 242 Squat Record of 1,108 pounds At 228)
    ** 1108 squat , 639 bench, and 700 deadlift for 2447 Total

What I Lack in Genetics, I Make Up For With Determination and Discipline

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Byrd52 View Post
    I thought there were only 2 strongman weight classes, over and under 105 kilos? am i mistaken and if so what are the classes?
    Sam it's broken down by weight classes also. 175, 200, 231, 265, 300, SHW

Sam, you should give it a try. You are crazy strong especially relative to body weight.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    BTW - really nice work Tom! Best i ever got at Am Nats was 4th in the LW's

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Sam, you should give it a try. You are crazy strong especially relative to body weight.
    i have been wanting to for over a year, since i found out about the 105 kilo class. i wasnt aware they had broken down even further. injury and PL meets kept getting in the way. i am taking a break from pl for who knows how long, but i plan on doing some strongman related training-- just some stuff to get athletic again... anyways, congrats on ur placing Tom i know ur excited about it.

how long was the comp? 48 competiters is insane! did u all go head to head in alot of events? what were they?

Thanks guys. For the Pro Cards it is just LW and HW with the split being 105 Kg, but at most contests they have subdivisions and the same holds true for Nationals (I was the 200 lbs National Champion last year after winning out of a field of 24 guys in that weight class). For this year I was 3rd in the overall which included the 48 total competitors who were under 105 Kg, with some being under 200 lbs (and two were under 175 lbs).

Sam - you should definitely give it a try. With the right training you would do some serious damage out there based on your gym strength levels...

Here were the events:

Day One:
    700 lbs yoke walk x 60 feet
    285 lbs each hand famers walk x 60 feet
    650 lbs tire flip x 60 feet
    235 lbs 12" log clean and press each rep (60 seconds)
    300 lbs atlas stone load over 48" bar (max reps 60 seconds)

Day Two:
    Press Medley - 270 lbs barbell, 260 lbs 12" log, 240 lbs 2" axle bar, 105 lbs dumbell
    Car Deadlift For Reps - Side handle, aprox 650 lbs in hand from 18" - Up & down commands, 60 seconds.
    Carry / Push Medley - Carry 250 lbs and 275 lbs blocks 30 ft each then push 9,800 lbs truck 50 feet.

The first 3 events on day one were four guys at a time and then everything else was head to head. They were very organized and had all of the athletes staged along with an efficient spotter/loader crew so the contest actually ran pretty quickly. About 5 hours each day for 80 total competitors between LW & HW.

I will have some pictures from the event later this week hopefully. Utah was beautiful.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 09-16-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Write up from Nationals / Day One...

Weighed in Friday around 215 lbs with clothes on.

Just wrapped up the first day of competition, I didn't do as well as I had hoped in some of the events but still managed to stay in contention with pretty good consistency. Am sitting in 2nd place right now in the overall, 7 points out of First, with Tom Kaufman just one point back in 3rd and some others competitors looking very strong behind him.

Yoke Walk - 700 lbs x 60 feet (12.7 seconds)
    A little wobbly with the yoke, I couldn't accelerate for some reason with this one but managed decent speed with no drops. Winner on this event was about two seconds faster than me. Good for 5th place.

Farmers Walk - 285 lbs x 60 feet (10.6 seconds)
    My farmers has been better lately and I was happy that the handles had great grip this year. Thought that I was moving pretty well with them but again the winner of this event was about two seconds faster than me, still top 10.

Tire Flip - 650 lbs estimate x 60 feet (25.7 seconds)
    The tire was fairly easy since it was not a very tall tire and was brand new, but just like last year the grip was a challenge for a lot of guys. Had a couple of little wobbles but got in a good rythem and ended up with 2nd place on this one. Happy with the performance here.

Log Press - 235 lbs clean & press for reps (7 reps)
    Not sure what happened here, I was trying to be careful to not lose reps and hammered out the first four in about 20 seconds. On my fifth clean I lost my breath with the log on my chest and missed the press, this was unacceptable. Ended up deciding to just strict press after this and managed three more reps for a 5 way tie for 4th. Had I managed one more rep on this event it would have moved me to first... upset, but it happens.

Stone for Reps - 300 over 48" bar (8 reps)
    Great grip on the stone and knew that I needed to hammer these out since Jason Sparks had already hit 10. There were an number of guys at 7 and wanted to beat that number. I was basically just lapping and front squatting the stone over the bar, felt comfortable on these except for the last one where I tweaked my back a little bit. Ty Roberts pulled out 9 reps and the overall leader of the contest managed 11 which was awesome. Tied for 4th with one other guy I believe.

Day two is a press medley with 105 dumbell, 240 axle, 260 log, and 275 barbell - you can pick your implement order so it should be interesting. After that is a heavy 18" car deadlift that should be fun, and then a medley with some tough rhino lined steel boxes along with a 9,800 lbs pickup truck push.

The competitor leading after the first day has been impressive so far but it is still anyone's contest. Hit the buffet after the events and headed back to the hotel to relax and recover. It's going to be a battle.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 09-16-2008 at 09:17 AM.

Nationals Day 2

Came into the day in second place by two points and seven points back from the leader. Day one was not spectacular and with the exception of the stones was sub par to what I typically would do in training. I was hoping that day two is where I could bounce back to make a run at the LW overall…

Press Medley: 270 lbs barbell, 260 lbs log, 240 axle, 105 lbs dumbbell (29 seconds)
    Played around with the cleans before the event and knew that these would be fairly easy. We went based on order of placing and so there was a lot of downtime between warm-ups and actually getting to run through the implements. Coupled with standing out in the blazing sun for about 25 minutes I didn’t have the best run here. Managed to hit the barbell with easy, a little wobble on my footing with the log but still no problem. Moved onto the axle and had to pause for a second on my chest to take a breath, then easily one-arm snatched the dumbbell. I did place higher than Schuna who was the overall leader but the competitor in third took home the event win, beating my time by almost 10 seconds. Good for I believe a 5th or 6th place finish here – back to the drawing board with my pressing and will be looking to make some serious improvements with my overhead.

Car Deadlift – 18” side handle, estimated 650 lbs in hand (14 reps)
    This was my first time doing a car deadlift and I had no idea how to set up or what I was doing. Some of the other competitors were able to give me some good tips. I decided to put on my power pants for a little pop in the bottom but did not wrap my knees. The pull was awkward and was lifting with all different kinds of muscles on each rep – some quads, some glutes, some back. I did lose credit for one repetition here due to a bounce or improper lockout. Tied for 5th place I believe, 5 reps back from the leader. Honestly since it was my first time and I hung with guys who train this I am happy – will get it done next time.

Medley – 250 lbs, 275 lbs block carry 30 ft. each / 9,800 lbs truck push 50 ft (35 seconds)
    This was interesting because just about every competitor here finished this. I was now in 3rd place with about a 10 point cushion but wanted to finish the day on a positive note even though at this point I was feeling pretty exhausted. Fumbled with the picks but ran with the blocks and made up a lot of ground on the truck push flying through that portion of the medley – finished just a few tenths of a second behind the 4th place competitor which secured my placing, and was top 10 overall in this event.

Looking back on this contest I can tell that I needed to include more volume in my training, up my intensity during a contest and work better to conserve energy / manage being outside in the heat for extended periods of time. I am horribly sunburned and a little sore but feel pretty good. With all things considered I ended up placing 3rd out of 48 guys in a tough LW field while only weighing about 215 lbs (15 lbs under the cutoff) and without really hitting any PR’s other than the stones. Had three or four weeks to prepare for this contest and I had a great time out there with everyone.

Now I am motivated to take my training to the next level... once I can move my arms again.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 09-16-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Banned
    Sounds like an incredible competition. Great work.

that sounds like alot of fun! exhausting... but a lot of fun!

how did you train for all these events? did u train the actual lifts or did u have to simulate gym lifts? im curious to see how or what u used to train the implements u didnt have or u would do so if u didnt have them? specifically the block carries, yolk, and log stuff. i assume the stones and tire u need dl but cant beat actual practice with the implements.
    Last edited by Big_Byrd52; 09-16-2008 at 10:02 AM.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Great job Tom!
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 09-16-2008 at 10:56 AM.
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

that sounds like alot of fun! exhausting... but a lot of fun!

how did you train for all these events? did u train the actual lifts or did u have to simulate gym lifts? im curious to see how or what u used to train the implements u didnt have or u would do so if u didnt have them? specifically the block carries, yolk, and log stuff. i assume the stones and tire u need dl but cant beat actual practice with the implements.
    Definitely a lot of fun, and exhausting is not even the word for it. My CNS was so crushed that I am still feeling a little flat and it is two days after the contest.

Training for the events will require some creativity or some access to strongman implements, but a lot of them are easy to make or inexpensive to buy. A tire flip is more like a leverage lift than a DL since you are hitting the tire like a football sled as opposed to picking it up, and the transition point replicates a hang clean. The yoke walk cannot be replicated with squats or any gym lifts since it is a different motion - I have seen a 600 lbs squatter struggle with a 600 lbs yoke walk. Good hip stability and leg strength is helpful though... and since you squat more than anyone I know the yoke should be good for you.

Log press can be replicated with dumbells if you do not have access to the actual log, but there is a lot of technique with the strongman lifts so you will want to work with implements as much as you can. I have seen many contests where a brute strength competitor is beat by someone who is more athletic and technically sound.

Front carries are easy and you can use anything from a water filled keg to a giant sandbag. Sled drags are good for building GPP which is a factor in strongman as well with the moving events and medleys.

I can help you to come up with a program if you are looking to get in to it, and I am sure Ben Moore has some great ideas as well since he was balanced between both PL and Strongman for a while.

Banned
    Absolutely Sam - give us the word and we'll help you out.

definately, i pm'ed ben about it yesterday actually. i know there is a group of guys in nashville or knox, tn i met at a local contest that are on one of the boards, i forget which that i might can hook up with from time to time. i dont want to steal ur thread, but i have been collecting implements for the last 2 years since i wanted to get into it, just havent had a chance yet. i have 3 tires, 350-400ish, 500-550ish, and 600-650ish, sled, tire sled, built a prowler, the neutral grip barbell, 18in dl bar i had a tire welded to each en of an old bar. i have an idea on how to do stones, yolk and farmers, and may have someone who can build a steel log i found plans for. i think thats a decent start. ill def get up with u 2 on how to set up a program soon. thanks guys