The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Many Days Do You Workout?

How many? And what is the most effective one to use to build muscle if one is better then the other. Just curious
    Starting Weight: 140(11/22/07)
    Weight Currently: 160(7/9/08)
    Bench: 170 Squat: 275 Deadlift: No max yet

Start(11/22/07): http://i35.tinypic.com/vxyhdt.jpg
    Progress(1/22/07): http://i36.tinypic.com/161yx52.jpg
    Most Current(7/6/08): http://i37.tinypic.com/2mq86l4.jpg

ChoKE N PoKE

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I go about 6 days a week, I don't know if there is a day that is better than others.
    220Ibs
    6'1"

It all depends on you. You have to experiment and see what works best for you. Personally, I lift 3 days a week and do crossfit 2-3 days.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    4-6. 4 days being ME/DE upper and lower, then the optional 2 for conditioning if I feel up to the challenge. I've been sick lately so its been down to 4.

mon-fri with weds days off... so i guess u could say 4.
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

M W F and I have paintball practice 3 days a week as well, which consists of plyos and drills
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Monday through Friday.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

It depends, but usually 3-5.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

3 or 4. Anymore than that and I'm just too sore XD
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    3 times (wbb1)
    I've done 4 and 5 days before but wbb1 and 3 days works much better for me
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

Banned
    3 day's, my back and my legs get to sore to lift more than once a week

5 (3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off)

I try to get in at least 4, even on a bad week
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    2x a week I lift, 2x a week I do cardio, once a week I'll play raquetball.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Lucas

Now down to once or twice a week.

When I got back into lifting at the beginning of 2008 , I used to go 5 or 6 days a week, usually hitting each bodypart at least twice or more a week.

After a few months, I hit a plateau and dropped this to 4 days a week, doing Chest, Shoulders and Tri's on Mondays & Thursdays, and Back, Legs and Bi's on Tuesdays & Fridays. After a few more months, I hit another plateau so then went to working out twice a week, hitting each body part once a week or so. I did this for about a month or two and hit another plateau.

Now, I work out every 4 to 5 days but hit the same bodypart once only every 9 to 10 days. For example, this week on Monday I did Chest, Shoulders and Tri's. This coming Friday, I'll do Back, Legs and Bi's. Then the following Wednesay, I'll hit Chest Shoulder and Tri's again. And the following Monday after that, I'll hit Back, Legs and Bi's again.

I will stay on this schedule until I plateau again. At that point, I will give myself an extra day or two between workouts. I expect that in the not too distant future, I'll be working out just once a week and hitting each bodypart only once every 2 weeks. Then after that, the gaps between workouts will get progressively longer. I've learned to let my progress in the gym be my guide.

By the way, I go to complete muscle failure (and maybe a bit beyond) each workout.

I know this may sound a little odd taking so much time off. It was to me when I first read about it in Mike Mentzer's book (H.I.T. the Mike Mentzer Way) and John Little's book (Advanced Max Contraction Training). I thought that there's no way taking this much time off can work. But after being frustrated with the plateaus I was hitting, I decided to give it a try.

It was only when I realized that I really was overtraining, and that the stronger I became, the more I needed to let my body recuperate, that I started breaking through plateaus.

I hope this helps.
    For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind
    HOSEA 8:7

Natural laws have no pity
    Lazarus Long (From the author Robert Heinlein)

3 days a week is ideal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Balbumperchunk View Post
    When I got back into lifting at the beginning of 2008 , I used to go 5 or 6 days a week, usually hitting each bodypart at least twice or more a week.

After a few months, I hit a plateau and dropped this to 4 days a week, doing Chest, Shoulders and Tri's on Mondays & Thursdays, and Back, Legs and Bi's on Tuesdays & Fridays. After a few more months, I hit another plateau so then went to working out twice a week, hitting each body part once a week or so. I did this for about a month or two and hit another plateau.

Now, I work out every 4 to 5 days but hit the same bodypart once only every 9 to 10 days. For example, this week on Monday I did Chest, Shoulders and Tri's. This coming Friday, I'll do Back, Legs and Bi's. Then the following Wednesay, I'll hit Chest Shoulder and Tri's again. And the following Monday after that, I'll hit Back, Legs and Bi's again.

I will stay on this schedule until I plateau again. At that point, I will give myself an extra day or two between workouts. I expect that in the not too distant future, I'll be working out just once a week and hitting each bodypart only once every 2 weeks. Then after that, the gaps between workouts will get progressively longer. I've learned to let my progress in the gym be my guide.

By the way, I go to complete muscle failure (and maybe a bit beyond) each workout.

I know this may sound a little odd taking so much time off. It was to me when I first read about it in Mike Mentzer's book (H.I.T. the Mike Mentzer Way) and John Little's book (Advanced Max Contraction Training). I thought that there's no way taking this much time off can work. But after being frustrated with the plateaus I was hitting, I decided to give it a try.

It was only when I realized that I really was overtraining, and that the stronger I became, the more I needed to let my body recuperate, that I started breaking through plateaus.

I hope this helps.
    Sounds like there is something wrong like your split or your diet. The answer is definately not to keep spacing your workout days farther and farther.
    Sarvamangalam!

Lucas

Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Sounds like there is something wrong like your split or your diet. The answer is definately not to keep spacing your workout days farther and farther.
    Of course this is the answer. When you tear down your body like I do (H.I.T. and going to failure), you need more time to recuperate and let your body adapt. As I've gotten bigger and stronger, working out more frequently just wasn't cutting it anymore. As per my previous post, it was leading to a loss of strength or hitting a plateau.

By the way, I am 6'4" and weigh 315 lbs. I eat a ton of food so that's not an issue, believe me.

I certainly had my doubts like you seem to be having now. But this has been documented in several books and by testimonials I have read by many others on various other websites. I also didn't believe it would work until I tried it and saw the results. My strength keeps improving each and every workout.

If I get to the point where I plateau and the spacing of workouts doesn't work anymore, I'll certainly start to look for another routine.

I understand you may be doing something different and that your strength keeps improving over time. If so, that's great and I certainly wouldn't suggest you do what I'm doing.

The main thing is to keep improving and on that I'm sure we can agree.

Regards,

Lucas

I understand that it might work but there are far more efficient ways of going about working towards your goals. I also think you may have misdiagnosed the original problem, or at least did not prescribe the best solution. It actually seems that this method of spacing the days out does not work since you keep hitting pleateus.

How have your numbers done since you began this continual spacing thing?
    What is your exact routine?
    What have been the routine modifications you have done since you began continually spacing out your workouts?
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 09-16-2008 at 04:46 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday-4 days. I create my own programs to fit around my schedule.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

3 days. you grow when you rest. Not in the gym.

Rule #1 IMO ^^^^
    Don't pick on the weak, its immoral... Never antagonise the strong, its stupid

5'11 190lbs

Lucas
    I understand that it might work but there are far more efficient ways of going about working towards your goals. I also think you may have misdiagnosed the original problem, or at least did not prescribe the best solution. It actually seems that this method of spacing the days out does not work since you keep hitting pleateus.
    I'd be interested in learning about something that's more efficient. Remember, though, I did used to hit each body part twice a week. I used to have one light day and one heavy day per bodypart, per week. But then I found after awhile in subsequent weeks that my heavy days really did not improve in either weight increases or rep increases, so that's when I started spacing my workouts out more. I seem to be plateauing every 2 months or so, then space out my workouts an extra day or so, so in that respect it does work.

How have your numbers done since you began this continual spacing thing?
    I was stuck at 175 on the squat about 2 months ago. I'm now at 245 on the squat. I try to add 5-10 pounds or so each workout. My DL went from 135 to 185 currently. This week I'll try 195 or 200. On a side note, my Squats and DL's are low compared to my size and upper body strength because I have really bad hips and knees. I've made mention of it in a previous thread with Sanchez. I really don't know how much higher I'll be able to go on these because it does hurt to do them but I don't want surgery just yet so I keep working the muscles. On my bench on Monday, I just got 345 for 4 good reps and failed on the 5th rep. About 2 months ago, 315 for 2-3 reps was my max. And my previous chest day 8 days prior was 345 for only 2 reps. Now, the problem I have is the little gym at my work doesn't have more weight. So I'm looking to get some soon so I can keep increasing. My seated military press is now 245 for 3 reps. The workout prior was 245 for 1 rep. I just recently got back to doing barbell rows so I'm only working with 135 lbs. so far just to get used to the motion. On the close grip bench press I did 265 lbs for 4 reps to failure. Prior to that, it was 245 for 4 reps to failure.

What is your exact routine?
    Workout 1: Bench 3 sets of 3 to 6 reps. Incline Bench 2 sets 3 to 6 reps. Seated Military Press, 3 sets 3 to 6 reps. Standing Lateral Raises, 3 sets 6 reps. Close grip Bench Press, 3 sets, 3 to 6 reps. Tricep Press Downs, 2 sets, 3 to 6 reps. These sets are all done after warmup and ramping up to my working set. The final set of each exercise is done to failure. Depending on how tired I am, I may do some Decline Bench Presses, or some Dumbbell Flys or some seated Dumbell overhead presses or some other tricep exercise. I occassionally throw in some negatives or partial reps. I don't have a dip machine at work or else I would use it. I'm trying to get the owners to purchase one with the 2009 budget but I may have to get one on Craigslist like I did with extra weigts from time to time.

Workout 2: Squat, 3 sets of 3 to 6 reps. DL 3 sets of 3 to 8 reps. Barbell Rows 2 sets of 3 to 6 reps, then hold in the max contraction position for 10-20 seconds. I'll do 1 set of leg extension and leg curls just holding the weight in the max contraction position for 30 seconds or so. Standing Barbell Calf Raises, 2-3 sets of 6 to 8 reps, then 30 second hold in max contraction position. Lat Pull Downs 2-3 sets of 6-10 reps then I usually try to hold the weight in the max contraction position for 12-20 seconds if I can. Barbell curls of 2 sets for 3 to 6 reps. Then use the curl machine and just hold the weight in a max contraction position for 20-30 seconds or so. Depending on how tired I am, I may do some additional work, like the stomach crunch machine or the back extension machine. I don't have a pull-up machine/bar at work or else I would use it.

What have been the routine modifications you have done since you began continually spacing out your workouts?.
    My last 2 to 3 workouts have been so draining I usually end up doing 4 to 5 exercises per workout and get completely spent in about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. I really don't have the ability to throw in any of those side exercises I listed anymore. I rest 2 to 4 minutes between sets. I'm finding that with these heavier weights I get exhausted much quicker during the workout and really don't have any reserve energy to do a bunch of addiitional exercises like I used to. If I were really applying H.I.T., I would just do 1 working set to failure but I want to make sure I exhaust the muscle fibers so I usually end up doing 2 to 3 sets per exercise.

Then I'm sore for several days.....LOL!

4 days during summer vacation, and 2~3 days when I have school.

2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off

so.. 4.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Me? 3 right now because my lower body work is severely limited. I recommend 4 days with an upper/lower split to most people in your (OP) position with your goals.

Banned
    4 days a week. Two max effort days and two dynamic effort days, ie the westside conjugate method. It build strength/muscle faster than anything I've tried ( over many years of wasting my time doing other workouts ).