The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

20 rep squatting.

I touched on this a little last winter when bulking. I have read the "squats and milk" program. Basically squatting 3 times a week for 6 weeks adding 5 pounds each session. 3 sounds a bit like over kill I mean I need some rest for my deads. I was thinking monday squat, tuesday chest, wednesday back, thursday shoulders and friday squat again then rest on the weekends. Has anyone else had good experiences with this program? Also if I do this program squats will be my leg work. No leg press or hacks. I'd throw in some stiff leg deads and maybe some lunges on monday.
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*
    Deccember 07 - 225 pounds

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds
    *Bulking till January 1st*

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

www.jimmachak.com

3X per week...

I think squatting 3x per week is overkill... if you are going balls to the walls then doing anything 3x per week, even on 10k worth of supps a year and eating 5000-7000 cals a day, is just overkill bro. 20 reps of squats is very productive though and I do advise implementing it from time to time, just not 3x per week.

www.jimmachak.com

Wannabebig Member
    I'm doing the 20 rep squat routine right now.

I deadlift for my first exercise using 7-5-3 reps, increasing by 10 lbs each set. Then I do the 20 rep squat set which feels light for the first 14 reps after that last heavy set of DL's. My first week I've gained 6lbs and I'm only drinking one half gallon of milk a day.

I've modified the workout a bit but I'm sticking with the 3x per week schedule for one month...it's only for a month.

www.jimmachak.com

cool

I didn't realize it was just for a month. I guess to shock things up that would be cool, I would just hate to see someone get injured or have any joint pain.... I was thinking more long term... sorry about that....

www.jimmachak.com

I only done two sessions starting at 235lbs and I love it so far. I'm gonna follow catmans lead and do deadlifts monday with the squats and stick to 3x a week for 6 weeks. 20 reps of squatting usually leaves my legs burning all day. Do you do the pull overs afterwords?
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds

Not tried 20 rep squatting, but I've done squats 3 x per week since I started lifting 8 weeks ago and haven't had problems. Up until recently (last 2 workouts) I had done deadlift 3 x per week as well. I'm on a new routine now that calls for 3 x per week squatting and 1 x per week dead lifting. I'd be interested to hear how the 20 squat deal works out for you if you end up trying it.

Trying not to die young.

I've never seen a 20-rep squat routine that utilized squats more than once per week. This is usually enough to keep progress on them going at ~10lbs/week for 6-8 weeks, but if you try to squat 3x/week I imagine you'll stall out very quickly.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    For most people this is going to lead to overtraining unless you are just doing one set of 20 repetitions three times per week?

I would say that hitting lower body twice a week should be your objective with one day being a heavier day and the other being a lighter / speed day.

You have to look at your goals. If you are simply trying to gain weight I would say to squat once a week and deadlift once a week and that should work well. If you are a bodybuilder and your legs are a lagging bodypart then you may want to increase volume by training lower body 2X per week. If you are a powerlifter and your squat is in need of some help then doing one heavy day and one speed day could benefit you.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    I've never seen a 20-rep squat routine that utilized squats more than once per week. This is usually enough to keep progress on them going at ~10lbs/week for 6-8 weeks, but if you try to squat 3x/week I imagine you'll stall out very quickly.
    Depends how he does them. Many of the old-timers in the B.D* era used to squat three times a week...of course they didn't go all out every time.

*B.D.=Before Drugs.

20 reps all out 3 times per week would be insane. But, if kept in check they could probably be beneficial. Let us know how you progress.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

20 rep squats are a great training tool.

There is nothing wrong with squatting 3 times a week.

Doing true 20-rep squats (squatting your 10RM twenty times without putting the weight down) 3 times a week is going to be hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Depends how he does them. Many of the old-timers in the B.D* era used to squat three times a week...of course they didn't go all out every time.

*B.D.=Before Drugs.
    Well, yes, but my comment about squatting 3x per week was directly referring to the 20-rep squat program, which is going to be all out.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Well, yes, but my comment about squatting 3x per week was directly referring to the 20-rep squat program, which is going to be all out.

And that is very true and a valid point, but if he's doing the classic version then it won't be for that long (see number 5)

Here are the salient points of the classic 20 rep program.

1. Use your 10 rep max.

2. 3 times a week on non-consecutive days.

3. No more than one set of squats.

4. Add 5 lbs per workout.

5. Do this for NO more than 6 weeks straight.

Suggested modifications:

#3 Five lbs a week might be more doable.

#1 If you can't do 20 with your 10 rep max try 15.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-26-2008 at 09:32 PM.

I just did 255 tonight...painful but it's working. I don't feel over trained I just do my 1 set of 20 and that's it for legs believe me it hits them enough.

Monday- squat
    bench
    incline or decline bench
    dips
    Tuesday-Rest

Wed-
    Squat
    Deads (light)
    Pull ups
    T bars or bent over rows
    Close grip pull downs

Thursday-rest

Friday
    Military press
    Squats ( have to do standing first or my legs give on the pressing)
    DB shoulder press
    Laterals
    Face pulls

Some arm and ab work is worked in on whichever days convient. Oh I forgot to list but I do the pullovers the program calls for but failed to list since there way to light to be considered work.
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds

Wannabebig Member
    I can't remember who asked but yes, I am doing the pullovers with a 25lb plate immediately after the 20 rep set of squats. All I can say is that there is definitely much breathing happening.

The routine is just one set of 20 reps, 3 x per week. If enough protein, milk, calories, water and creatine (yep, I'm a lover of the creatine) are consumed I don't think over-training will be a factor. Now if someone does this PLUS additional leg work...he'll be toast real quick.

I started too light because of a torn meniscus but I've found the right grove when I descend so now I can increase the weight.

Funny how different the deadlift and squat feel yet they are basically the same motion.

20 reps squats are usually known as breathing squats. If I recall, you should squat then take 2-3 deep breaths and then squat again. Pullovers afterward aren't a bad idea to help breathe.

Funny how different the deadlift and squat feel yet they are basically the same motion - not really. Do a bit of reading.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 08-27-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Do that voodoo that he do
    If you follow it faithfully as Songsangnim pointed out you'll see some big results.

Also be ready to be literally AFRAID of your workout by the fifth week.

This is just fine for beginning (past the initial learning stage) and intermediate lifters. Advanced lifters probably aren't going to be able to do this for very long as the weights will get crushing fast.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

That's for sure. After squats, I alternate with front squats or leg press or 20 rep squats. My last bout with 20 reppers nearly killed me.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wasn't it reported that marunde died on a day after he finished a high rep squat workout?
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds

Wannabebig Member
    You scared me there for a minute...but no, not the 20 rep squats.

http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11128

From Jesse's forum:

Friends, we suffered a great loss in the strongman community last evening. The Sequim Crew was doing what they do. Training hard and particularly training Jesse for the WSM contest in Anaheim. He died quickly and painlessly.

The squat set was as follows:
    230kg x 8
    190kg x 8
    150kg x 8
    110kg x 8
    70kg x 8
    Followed immediately by:
    600# tire flip
    265# stone load
    All of this was done with no rest between sets. Rack, pull, go

At the completion of these sets Jesse laid on his back, on the cold floor like normal. Breck and Sarge noticed that his breathing was laborious. Jesse became incoherent and stopped breathing. We administered cpr, called 911 and continued to resuscitate until paramedics arrived. They set up the defibrillator, epinephrine, to no avail. He was worked on for over an hour between Breck, Sarge and the paramedics.

These are the facts as it happened. We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss. We appreciate your support and prayers.

The Sequim Crew

3 week mark, this program works. My bench and deadlift have improved. My over all strength has made some nice gains. I'm jumping up in everything, weighted dips, hell even skull crushers..everything is improving. I'm eating only a bit above maintainence. I plan to do this again in the winter when i'm on a nice bulk and see what this plus a 4-5k calorie diet will do paired with it. Oh and my legs are starting to explode
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds

I do 3x10 squats three times a week, and that's a b****. I can't even imagine doing 20 bangers 3 times a week.

Ended week 4 today..well as far as squatting goes. This program is the best i've used. I'll take pics at the end of it for some before and afters. I got some bad headaches this week..I mean painful but I think it was from to much caffiene. Nitric oxide supplement I have is 200mg of it then my regular monster drinks didn't help. My starting weight was 210 and i'm currently 218 and i'm only eating at maintainence. My quads have gotten much bigger also.
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds

Doing 20 rep squats for a couple of months to break through a plateau can be useful, I've done it. As for increasing the # of times in the week you do squats, I didn't do this.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits