Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much To Curl For My Arm Size??

How Much To Curl For My Arm Size??

Hello peoples!

Im trying to figure out how much weight to curl thats gonna do me any good. Ima pretty big dude about 6'4 330 and i dont want to be wasting my time lifting light if its not helping. But if it is ill keep doing it.

Im curling 60lbs on a curl bar (30 + 30) 12 reps and 3 sets about 3 times a week!

The first time i did it i couldnt get to 12 on the third set i only made it to 8. but then the next time i did it i did it no problem and i have been doing it with no problems ever since. Its been about 2 weeks and i want to add another 5 or 10lbs to each side but i want to know am i doing to much or not enough!

You can check my profile pic to see what i look like and any suggestions criticisms anything anyone has to offer im all for it!

Banned
    What dies your entire routine look like?

well i have a garage gym with a bench and a ez curl bar. So i pretty much do curls one day (3 sets of 12 with 60lbs on the ez curl bar). Then bench the next and rest on the third.

I hit a punching bag for about half hour and use the treadmill for about a hour so im usually working out 2 hours at a time.

I want to be able to bench way more then i do now and i also want to be able to do some push-ups.

Some people say just diet and do cardio for awhile before i can do that but i have a hard time looking at weights and not trying to lift them lol!

I dont want to wait until i lose 50lbs to lift weights.

So to illiterate on my original question, i want to know how much should i be curling for my size, to help me be able to bench more and do tons of successful push-ups at about 330 lbs?

Banned
    You can do pushups right now, just use an easier version if you need to. Knees on the ground, for example. Or elevate your hands on blocks so it's more of a decline pushup. those variations make it a bit easier and you can progress from there. Start with a few sets of 5 pushups, if that's all you can do. Next time, try to do a few sets of 6. And keep doing that.

if you can do 3 sets of 12 w/ 60 lbs, add 5-10 pounds to the bar and next time try to get 3 sets of 6-8 with the new weight. When you can get 3 sets of 12 with the new weight, add a few more pounds, and that's basically all there is to it. There is no answer as to how much a guy your size "should" curl. You "should" curl however much you can handle at this stage in your lifting career.

Also, I"m not sure I undrestand what you're saying, but curls won't "help you be able to bench more." If that's what you're thinking.

Banned
    I think you should read the stickies and find a real routine. Benching and curling is not going to get you very far very fast.
    And I also think you need to read up a little on what exercises work what muscles....big bis aren't going to get you a big bench.

Thanks for the advice. I dont mean that the curls would help me bench better just from curling but i feel that if my arms are stronger then i should be able to do more push-ups and be able to hold my body weight up. So i figure that in the long run it would help my bench.

But i wouldnt be here if i knew what i was talking about or doing lol! Thats why im here to learn!

P.S

Im Sorry for my ignorant thread title. didnt really know how to word what i was trying to say at the moment.

RedSpikeyThing My goal is to get to a regular routine. I understand what routine's are and i know that my routine is not normal. But my chest isnt that strong and i cant hold my weight up too long to do push-ups. Only thing i know i can do comfortably and actually finish the routine are curls and deadlifts.

So i figure curls will lead to push up which leads to benching. and i figure that will get me to a point where i can start a good weekly workout program.

Thanks for the advice.

Banned
    Since you have no squat rack, here are some effective lifts you can do to get in better shape:

power cleans(look up how to do these properly)
    deadlifts
    bench press
    standing overhead press
    front squats(do a clean to get the bar in place)
    SLDL
    bb rows

Start adding some more worthwhile exercises into your rotation and you'll get really strong really fast. People of your size usually have a lot easier time getting strong. Try something like:

monday:
    bench: 3 sets of 8-10
    standing overhead press: 3 sets of 8-10
    skullcrushers: 3 sets of 10
    cardio

wednesday:
    deadlift: 3 sets of 5-8
    front squat: 3 sets of 5-8(clean the bar in place)
    curls: 3 sets of 8-10
    cardio

friday:
    bent over BB rows: 3 sets of 8-10
    standing overhead press: 3 sets of 8-10
    skull crushers: 3 sets of 10
    cardio

edit: curls dont lead to pushups which don't lead to benching. Just start off benching 95 lbs for reps if that's all you can handle? I started off as a 135 lb pussy my freshman year of high school doing 95 lbs for 3 sets of 8. 6 years later, as a sophomore in college I did 425x1 in a single ply poly shirt at ~215 lbs.
    Last edited by Shangers; 09-19-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks alot man! I appreciate it. And im going to do this routine from now on starting on monday. This looks good.

I will look up those lifts and get videos to see how to do them correctly and i will keep you posted Shangers!

Thanks Again

P.S. I can do 130 12 times for 3 sets without a spotter. anything more and the hooks come off the bar to slide that wieght off if its coming down on me lol!
    Last edited by BigFury; 09-19-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Banned
    Also, you seem to think that how much you curl is indicative of how much you can bench. When you do a curl of any sort, you are using your biceps. When you bench press you are using your pectorals, triceps, anterior deltoids, and to a lesser extent your lats and rear delts. The muscles that you use to curl are completely different from the muscles you use to bench. If you bench a lot you won't necessarily be able to curl more. If you curl a lot you won't necessarily be able to bench a lot. It's also much cooler to bench a lot than to curl a lot, in my opinion. It's much more worthwhile for you to spend the majority of your time in the gym on trying to improve the "big" lifts like bench press, deadlift instead of caring how much you curl.

yea it sounded like, but i didnt mean how much i curl effects how much i bench. i just thought if i can curl alot or my arms where stronger then i can do more push-ups correctly, and that would help me on the bench.

lol and your right man i could care less how much i can curl i wanna throw up 300lbs on that bench a few times! i feel like im to big to be putting up 130

so was just a lil focused on my arms in order to do push-ups because i figured if i can do push-ups correctly at my size then that should take me to where i wanna be on the bench!

At 330lb and all you have told us, it sounds to me like you are very obese. Curling is something you should not be thinking about.

I would concentrate on a routine, like Shangers put up throwing in cardio on the off weight days (20-30 minutes at a hard pace, not 2 hours of easy pace). Doing the big, compound lifts will help you burn more fat than cardio and will allow you to reshape your body, unlike cardio will.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Mark Whatever man! im not here for the negativity. If your not gonna tell me what i should be doing then dont say nothing thank you. I dont need to hear oh your to obese to be worrying about curling WTF is that about!

You could have said your to obese to do abc and maybe you should do xyz before you do abc.

But its all good people like you motivate me anyways.

So im just gonna put your reply on my gym wall and face it as i curl.
    Last edited by BigFury; 09-19-2008 at 10:09 AM.

thanks rbtrout i appreciate it. im gonna stick with that routine from shangers and i plan on doing heavy cardio on the off days (treadmill and punching bag)

Thanks for the motivation

thanks again for your support rbtrout! i couldnt reply to your message yet i needed more post but i will keep in touch!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFury View Post
    Mark Whatever man! im not here for the negativity....

Dude...drop the curling bar and start dead lifting and squating...and obviously bench as well. At your size (dont take offense, I am a fat ass, too...and dont take offense that I lumped your fat ass in with my fat ass in the fat ass talk...quit being so sensitive..we're all fatasses..except for redspikeything ) itd be a shame to not start DL'in and squatting.

You look like you have a solid frame to build on...so start building!

edit: finished my thoughts.
    Last edited by borracho; 09-20-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFury View Post
    Mark Whatever man! im not here for the negativity. If your not gonna tell me what i should be doing then dont say nothing thank you. I dont need to hear oh your to obese to be worrying about curling WTF is that about!

You could have said your to obese to do abc and maybe you should do xyz before you do abc.

But its all good people like you motivate me anyways.

So im just gonna put your reply on my gym wall and face it as i curl.
    Lol, ok.

Im all for constructive criticism and you can call me a fat ass all day as long as your trying to help me not be one! but if not dont just try to play me.

Thats why im here dude! im not sensitive!

My Wife and family love me just like i am buddy. So I dont need or appreciate the hate!

Im learning more and more since i registered and i take all of you guys advise into consideration!
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 09-19-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Once you feel like you can handle it you can also throw in a couple days of cardio or GPP on the off days (in conjunction with lifting and cardio on MWF)

GPP is a hell of alotta fun especially if you have a BB. http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=205

and this one... well its just damn good information http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=275
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 09-19-2008 at 03:14 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Lol, I like your wife on the second picture and that one only. Props to you for posting that up though.
    Last edited by JoseAlonso; 09-19-2008 at 05:06 PM.

You keep saying that curling will help your pushups... I don't think this is the case. I think pushups will help your pushups, and curling will help you when you flex in the mirror.

Work the bench press, work the push-ups (like someone said.. even if you have to do knee push ups until you work up to regular ones or with your hands on blocks etc) work the deadlift (since you have a barbell), overhead press standing would be ideal, but if that won't work in the garage go for seated. bent over rows are really good as well. Squats would be best, but without a rack it's hard to do them. Someone said front squats which aren't a terrible idea either.

Trying not to die young.

Delaying teh inevitable essentialherb08's Avatar
    If you want to get better at pushups try holding yourself in the pushup position for 30 seconds so you can get used to supporting your BW. Once you can do a few sets of those do the negative motion of pushups coming down for ten seconds, fighting your bodyweight the whole way down. Do these as many times until your pecs and tri's come to failure. Pretty soon once you can hold yourself down at the bottom of the pushup movement you should be able to press yourself up. Practicing and adapting your muscles to your bodyweight is key.
    (this is how i first started doing pushups and back then i couldnt do one to save my life)

I'm pretty sure that once you can pump out a pushup or two your bench should be clear over 170 easy, 330 is plenty of weight to work with on a push up.
    Your test will become your testament
    Your mess will become your message
    I rock the Hemp Oil each and every day
    19yrs 5'10ish around 160 lbs in June 180 as of Sept.

An autistic stoned avengers vendetta against culture induced nutrition deficiencies

Acts 5:39"But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."

yea thanks man! i realize that after reading more forums and watching some you tube video's of the exercises that i was told to do. im actually gonna stick with that routine pretty strictly!

And yea i know i was a Idiot for thinking curls would help me do better push-ups and im glad i learned that today!

I actually went to my garage and did some deadlifts for the first time and i was able to do 270 12 times with no problems. I didnt want to start a regular set i was just curious to see how much i can do and i also did some bb rows with the same weight!

So this weekend im just gonna do some cardio and prepare myself to start on monday!

And learn as much as i can in the process