The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Dave Tate posted this

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do that voodoo that he do
    It certainly rings true. That's why many of us who have been here for a while don't post nearly as much.

This isn't just WBB, incidently. As the cartoon indicated, it's most forums. As they grow, this is hard to avoid.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Banned
    Agreed, esp. the political discussions on this forum.

May I say Im a big fan of the neurotically yours web series, and this one was hilarious.

Banned
    Yeah.Im sick and tired of arguing.Im as guilty as anyone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkalban View Post
    Agreed, esp. the political discussions on this forum.

May I say Im a big fan of the neurotically yours web series, and this one was hilarious.
    HAHA - no doubt. I want to see that thread hit 1000 post though. I jump in every once in a while to see how everyone's doing in there.

This is true of the internet in general. It scales pretty nicely with the average number of computers per home.

Anyone notice that little cat (or whatever it is) doesn't have a mouth until it spits in disgust?

Then the mouth is gone again..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    Anyone notice that little cat (or whatever it is) doesn't have a mouth until it spits in disgust?

Its a squirrel first of all, and secondly, thats how its always been drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkalban View Post
    Its a squirrel first of all, and secondly, thats how its always been drawn.
    Thanks for the clarification..I didn't realize it was an internet icon.
    Last edited by Patz; 09-19-2008 at 04:28 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Agreed. People get offended too easily on this board.

I hope I didn't offend anyone....

Banned
    My only gripe here is that the younger guys wanna debate the more experienced guys.It doesnt make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post

foamy has been the throny bain of flash animators for years.

The guy who made it is pretty much a genius. He lures people in with foamy's rants... but his animations rarely have anything resembling a plot. But that's why he's a genius. he has overcome the fact that it is rather time consuming to create truely dynamic animations in flash, and he took a single still clip of of a "squirrel"'s body, and he has about two dozen still clips of hand gestures and eye transformations that he overlays on top of that body... occasionally switching the body position. Then he takes his voice (a rant) and does an audio stretch to about 50% compacted to create the squirrelly pitch.
    Done.
    No, there is no mouth.

Anyway, he's right.
    His rant is dead on true.
    However, I have to disagree with one little aspect of his rant. The closed-minded, self-absorbed, opinionation of people on forums is not a recent phenomenon. It has always been like that.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

My only gripe here is that the younger guys wanna debate the more experienced guys.It doesnt make sense.
    What doesn't make sense about debate, lol. Just because you're experienced doesn't meen you're always 100% correct.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

I've gotta say I think it's partially due to the attitude of the "experienced guys" around here. This doesn't apply to all the pros or all the big posters, but there are plenty of (imo) straight up *******s on the forum...

That being said, forums aree fun for the first while after you discover, then they become more of a chore than anything, then you try to leave, then you realize its an addiction. Then you just can't leave them...

Then, you're sitting at a boring ass wedding posting log ass posts for no reason on your blackberry
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Agreed, it pains me to see teens contradict the experienced older guys.

But sometimes some people just say some stupid ****, irrespective of their age, and sometimes intelligent and experienced youngsters have every right to say something. In fact anyone intelligent and objective does, regardless of age.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    Anyway, he's right.
    His rant is dead on true.
    However, I have to disagree with one little aspect of his rant. The closed-minded, self-absorbed, opinionation of people on forums is not a recent phenomenon. It has always been like that.
    Well said.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Mike, you couldn't be more wrong!!!

Banned
    If Im at the gym,or just talkin to a bunch of guys about training,it a very loose,man to man type conversation.On here it cant be that way.Everyone is easily offended and I mean personally.It just doesnt translate the same it seems.If your friend says"I need to gain weight",you would tell him to shut up and eat.On here that doesnt fly.Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    How old are you?
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

If Im at the gym,or just talkin to a bunch of guys about training,it a very loose,man to man type conversation.On here it cant be that way.Everyone is easily offended and I mean personally.It just doesnt translate the same it seems.If your friend says"I need to gain weight",you would tell him to shut up and eat.On here that doesnt fly.Why is that?
    A huge part of the issue is this: When people go to someone for help, they want to be understood first and foremost. If someone hears the first 10 seconds of a problem and immediately answers, the knee-jerk reaction is for the person with the problem to get defensive and say "Oh no, that's not it. My situation is different". For A LOT of people, being understood is as important as (if not more so than) getting the problem solved.
    When you're talking with a friend, or long-time client, or an athlete that trusts you, it's different. You can do a 5-second assessment and dole out advice and generally it's accepted. With people you don't know well (i.e. on the internet), that doesn't play out so nicely.
    So, who's fault is it? Well, everyone's really. The people asking for advice should present as complete a picture up front as they can, clarifying when necessary, and thankful to get any advice at all. The people presenting advice should not automatically assume that this question is exactly like the other 10,000 posts on the same subject, they should ask a few probing questions before doling out the same tired hack-kneed replies, and try to personalize their responses at least a little.

btw, I'm certainly not saying that I haven't been guilty of being a major online a-hole from time to time... I have been. Not apologizing for it but I am cognizant of it.
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-20-2008 at 08:17 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    How old are you?
    How's your sarcasm detector?

Banned
    Dont start.

I've kinda hesitated to post in this thread but what the heck.

One of the biggest problems (sometimes on both sides) is that there is an opinion that some will feel is the gospel truth. There is no gospel truth in this stuff guys. There are multiple ways to achieve the same goal. That goes for nutrition, powerlifting, bodybuilding, whatever you like. There is almost never just one way to do something. When people fail to admit that there is a certain level of preference in this stuff, there is an amount of insult that is inferred on the other side. This is because on the internet you can't read someone's tone, facial expressions, etc. In a face to face conversation though, those are the things that help you interpret whether someone is being antagonistic or just enjoying the discussion.

Some of you learned in books, others of you have learned by experience. Is one better than the other? Well it depends on the goal. Both have their place. The person I look up to the most in the sport, Louie Simmons, has read more books than I can count, but he always balances it with his experience to fit his particular goals.

Sesei hit the nail on the head, all of us want to be understood and sometimes all it would take is "Ok, I understand where you're comming from and I respect that...." and agree to disagree.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I've kinda hesitated to post in this thread but what the heck.

One of the biggest problems (sometimes on both sides) is that there is an opinion that some will feel is the gospel truth. There is no gospel truth in this stuff guys. There are multiple ways to achieve the same goal. That goes for nutrition, powerlifting, bodybuilding, whatever you like. There is almost never just one way to do something. When people fail to admit that there is a certain level of preference in this stuff, there is an amount of insult that is inferred on the other side. This is because on the internet you can't read someone's tone, facial expressions, etc. In a face to face conversation though, those are the things that help you interpret whether someone is being antagonistic or just enjoying the discussion.

Some of you learned in books, others of you have learned by experience. Is one better than the other? Well it depends on the goal. Both have their place. The person I look up to the most in the sport, Louie Simmons, has read more books than I can count, but he always balances it with his experience to fit his particular goals.

Sesei hit the nail on the head, all of us want to be understood and sometimes all it would take is "Ok, I understand where you're comming from and I respect that...." and agree to disagree.
    I think all of us,including myself should make a valiant effort to be more open to other opinions.Its getting rediculous with the threads being closed for arguing and all.Alot of good info comes out of them,but also alot of uncalled for insults.Im a stubborn guy who loves to debate religion,politics,sports.But Travis made a good point about not being able to see someone,or at least know them well enough to know their tone.My goal in coming to this forum was to learn from the best.Thats why I go on the elitefts site and ask a ton of questions.I just wanna get bigger and stronger dammnit!
    Last edited by Tennessee Mike; 09-20-2008 at 09:47 AM.

How's your sarcasm detector?
    better than yours, since I'm not young and inexperienced...