The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    163

    New Template feedback

    Im startin the 5/3/1 tomorrow.Heres my setup..

    Day 1 Bench,Inclines,Dips,Rows/pulldowns
    Day 2 Deadlifts,Hypers,Biceps,ab's
    Day 3 Military(strict/standing),Upright rows,Skullcrushers
    Day 4 Squats,RDL's,Pullthroughs,Abs
    * conditioning 3-4 times a week (20-30 min)

    5/3/1 applies to the main lifts only.Assistance work is in the 3-4 sets,10-12 rep range.Ab's a little higher of course.I will mix it up as I feel.I took my one rep maxes and dropped them quite a bit for my percentages.That seems to be the consensus.The goal here is to get stronger over a longer period of time.Im pretty pumped to get this started.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member BFGUITAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,620
    Im not sure why but upright rows from what I have heard around here aren't the most effective. Why not do rows on day one and chins/pullups on day 3?

  4. #3
    sissy Bohizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oakville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,137
    It's not that they're not effective, it's that a lot of people find them to put unneeded stress on the RC, but if it doesn't bother ur RC's then go for it.

    Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

    Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

  5. #4
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    i'm also not too big on upright rows, but if you like them, go for it. you are experienced enough to know what works and what dosent.

    i would switch them for shrugs.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  6. #5
    Senior Member ehubbard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,304
    I think you will find the RDL's a bit excessive after already pulling once a week.

  7. #6
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    I think you will find the RDL's a bit excessive after already pulling once a week.
    Good point. Maybe GM's or just Glute Ham Raises there. But if the RD's are going good and not affecting the regular deads, see how it works out.
    Last edited by joey54; 09-21-2008 at 03:54 PM.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  8. #7
    Senior Member BFGUITAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,620
    If you wear a belt for RDs it would help with overuse of lower back if that's a problem.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 09-21-2008 at 05:26 PM.

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    University at Albany
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    If you wear a belt for RDs it would help with overuse of lower back if that's a problem.
    What? This is makes no sense at all. A belt is worn to protect the abs (hernia), not for the back.

    Big Mike, drop the Pull-Thru's or RDL's - don't do both. I would add in a quad exercise. Leg Press, Power Squat, or something like that.

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    i'm also not too big on upright rows, but if you like them, go for it. you are experienced enough to know what works and what dosent.

    i would switch them for shrugs.
    Ive been doing srugs a long time now.Figured the uprights with a wider grip would be a nice variation to also hit some delts

  11. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    What? This is makes no sense at all. A belt is worn to protect the abs (hernia), not for the back.

    Big Mike, drop the Pull-Thru's or RDL's - don't do both. I would add in a quad exercise. Leg Press, Power Squat, or something like that.
    Thanx Matt.I'll probably drop the pull thrus,and throw in a leg press.I like the RDL's.They always kill the hams.

  12. #11
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Ive been doing srugs a long time now.Figured the uprights with a wider grip would be a nice variation to also hit some delts
    give em a try, if you can do them without any shoulder irritation, Wendler seems to like em. i can never get the right position to where they don't hurt my shoulders.

    you know what i would put in place of the upright rows if you've been doing shrugs awhile? face pulls. one of my favorite movements.
    Last edited by Lones Green; 09-22-2008 at 07:08 AM.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  13. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    give em a try, if you can do them without any shoulder irritation, Wendler seems to like em. i can never get the right position to where they don't hurt my shoulders.

    you know what i would put in place of the upright rows if you've been doing shrugs awhile? face pulls. one of my favorite movements.
    Good call.I just started doing them this year.I even thought about rear delts off a bench.But I like the face pull idea

  14. #13
    Senior Member BFGUITAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,620
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    What? This is makes no sense at all. A belt is worn to protect the abs (hernia), not for the back.

    Big Mike, drop the Pull-Thru's or RDL's - don't do both. I would add in a quad exercise. Leg Press, Power Squat, or something like that.
    I seem to have less lower back soreness if I use a belt, I don't know if that's just me.

    I recall asking you this before, but I don't remember what you said. Would say a high bar olympic squat be suitable for a quad exercise?

  15. #14
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Good call.I just started doing them this year.I even thought about rear delts off a bench.But I like the face pull idea
    yeah, face pulls hit the traps as well. you could also do band pull aparts.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  16. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    yeah, face pulls hit the traps as well. you could also do band pull aparts.
    Bands?Chains?Boards?Chalk?What do you think I work out in a PL gym?lol

  17. #16
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Bands?Chains?Boards?Chalk?What do you think I work out in a PL gym?lol
    LOL. sorry, i forgot. buy a band pack!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  18. #17
    Senior Member ehubbard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    LOL. sorry, i forgot. buy a band pack!
    And make your own boards.

    And bring in your own chalk, but really make a statement and rub that **** all over your shorts near your manhood. Tell people that you REALLY REALLY LOVE frosted donuts. That way no one will ask you stupid questions about why you are using boards and bands anymore.

  19. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    And make your own boards.

    And bring in your own chalk, but really make a statement and rub that **** all over your shorts near your manhood. Tell people that you REALLY REALLY LOVE frosted donuts. That way no one will ask you stupid questions about why you are using boards and bands anymore.
    I made my own 2 board and brought it in.Cant use chalk at all.I use to work there,so Im friends with the Maintenance guy.He's an ex-powerlifter but doesnt let anyone use chalk.WTF?

  20. #19
    Senior Member ehubbard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,304
    He's probably an ex-USAPL lifter I bet.

    I had a 1-,2-, and 3-Board when i trained at a commercial gym. I used one of those Perform Better rubber bands to tie them together in order to get a 4-,5-, or 6-Board.

  21. #20
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    He's probably an ex-USAPL lifter I bet.

    I had a 1-,2-, and 3-Board when i trained at a commercial gym. I used one of those Perform Better rubber bands to tie them together in order to get a 4-,5-, or 6-Board.
    wow, you can't use chalk in the USAPL?
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  22. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    University at Albany
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    I seem to have less lower back soreness if I use a belt, I don't know if that's just me.

    I recall asking you this before, but I don't remember what you said. Would say a high bar olympic squat be suitable for a quad exercise?
    Sure

  23. #22
    Senior Member ehubbard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    wow, you can't use chalk in the USAPL?
    LOL. No, you can use chalk. I was just applying a stereotype of the USAPL, i.e. tightassedness, on the janitor who wont let him use chalk.

  24. #23
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    LOL. No, you can use chalk. I was just applying a stereotype of the USAPL, i.e. tightassedness, on the janitor who wont let him use chalk.
    shows you how much i know about the usapl
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  25. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    163
    Does anyone have any thoughts on how often I should be switching up assistance work?

  26. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    University at Albany
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts on how often I should be switching up assistance work?
    It doesn't matter. The whole variety thing is way over-rated. Do what works.

Similar Threads

  1. Workout tips. Looking for some feedback
    By dv29088 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 11:10 PM
  2. Feedback on cutting plan
    By NewTriathlete in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 12:16 PM
  3. Need feedback on how to proceed.
    By Binbs in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 11:21 AM
  4. Westside Template Made Easy
    By Sensei in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 01:26 AM
  5. Wannabebig Supplements - feedback needed
    By Joe Black in forum General Chat
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-28-2002, 06:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •