Thread: Meet in 2 weeks ( and I need some re-assurance )

Banned

Meet in 2 weeks ( and I need some re-assurance )

About 2 months ago, I started bulking. I've gained about 15 pounds and I now weight about 280 ( but keep in mind I'm 6'8" tall with a 6'11" wingspan ). I'm going to compete in my second powerlifting meet in two weeks ( I'm not squatting in a meet yet, just bench and deadlift ). I'm kind of undecided if I should stop bulking and get back under 275 or not worry about it. I've been really satisfied with how my bench has increased, but I'm not up to what the guys my age in the 308 weight class are benching ( not even close to some ). I don't know what my current body fat percentage is, and I don't want it to get too high either. Here's a pic so you have some idea....

Should I drop down below 275, or not? I think I know what I should do, but I guess I'd like some re-assurance or personal experiences from others here.

Thanks.

If I were you, I would get back down under 275. Being 39 myself, I know what it is like to compete against the much younger crowd.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BULK_BOY View Post
    If I were you, I would get back down under 275. Being 39 myself, I know what it is like to compete against the much younger crowd.
    No, I'm not competing with the younger guys, just against guys in my age group. Which I believe is 40-44 at this meet.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 09-20-2008 at 11:17 AM.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather compete at the top of a weight class than be the lightest one in it - if I were you, I'd plan on competing at 275.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

5 pounds can be dropped very easily just by sitting in a sauna for a short period of time before weigh in. you wouldn't even have to make any changes to your diet. just eat some breakfast, head to the sauna, weigh in, and gain it all back plus more.

then again, if you do not feel comfortable doing this, don't do it. it will just mess with your head.

but if you are confident you can do it, by all means, go for it. you will gain a learning experience from it, if nothing else.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I prefer to lift where I'm the strongest. If you'll lose any strength getting to 275, stay at 285. I'm right around 285 and lift in the 308's usually, but occasionally I'll drop to 275's. Lifting in a master division, there is usually not many in your class/div., unless it's a world or nat'l meet.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    Lifting in a master division, there is usually not many in your class/div., unless it's a world or nat'l meet.
    Yeah, at the last meet, I was the only guy my age in the 275 division, there were a couple in 308.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    5 pounds can be dropped very easily just by sitting in a sauna for a short period of time before weigh in. you wouldn't even have to make any changes to your diet. just eat some breakfast, head to the sauna, weigh in, and gain it all back plus more.

then again, if you do not feel comfortable doing this, don't do it. it will just mess with your head.

but if you are confident you can do it, by all means, go for it. you will gain a learning experience from it, if nothing else.
    How does that affect your strength?

Unless you're a small guy to begin with, a 5lbs drop should not affect your strength.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Yeah, at the last meet, I was the only guy my age in the 275 division, there were a couple in 308.
    I don't really care if there is anyone in my Div/class anyway. It's about me and the weight. I'll switch weight class to take a record. I'm a record whore. LOL
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

If you think you have a chance to win the 275's it might be worth it. Otherwise just stay big, and knock down a PR. Your relatively new to the comps aren't you? I'm sure it's nice to win, but powerlifting to me is more about my PR's. Unless you need a first to qualify for some other event.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

How does that affect your strength?
    like Sensei said, you are a pretty big guy, so 5 lbs should not affect your strength.

cutting weight can affect your strength though, if you cut enough.

i think you will be fine with 5 pounds, i would use the method i stated earlier
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    Otherwise just stay big, and knock down a PR. Your relatively new to the comps aren't you? I'm sure it's nice to win, but powerlifting to me is more about my PR's.
    That's what I was thinking.

5 pounds is pretty easy to lose given your size. I dropped 12 for my first meet and I was fine. You could probably drop 5 pounds by just not eating dinner the night before and maybe hitting the sauna in the AM, if need be.

If you have a shot at winning the 275's then I'd probably cut. If you don't know, then I'd be more apt to just weigh-in and compete where ever. That way, still being relatively new to the sport, it's one last thing you have to worry about. Get a few good meets under your belt, feel more comfortable with the way everything goes and then you can add in another thing to stress about.

I didn't worry about it for my first couple of meets. The last 2 meets I tried to cut weight, probably a bit too much though, and it ended up hurting my strength. This next meet I have, I'll be much less stressed because I'm much closer already to where I need to be.

5lbs for someone your size isn't much but if you don't have to worry about it, don't.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    5lbs for someone your size isn't much but if you don't have to worry about it, don't.
    Well, the thing is, in 2 weeks it's probably going to be more like 10 pounds instead of 5. I really like how my training is going lately, and I think most of that is due to the bulking diet and gaining some weight. I guess I just decided for sure. I'm not going to worry about what class I weigh in as. Who cares if the other guys in 308 are benching 500+ pounds raw, I'll be happy with a PR at a meet.

Thanks everybody for the responses. I love this sport.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Well, the thing is, in 2 weeks it's probably going to be more like 10 pounds instead of 5. I really like how my training is going lately, and I think most of that is due to the bulking diet and gaining some weight. I guess I just decided for sure. I'm not going to worry about what class I weigh in as. Who cares if the other guys in 308 are benching 500+ pounds raw, I'll be happy with a PR at a meet.

Thanks everybody for the responses. I love this sport.

That's the best plan. You would have to gain so much damn weight to improve your leverages like a typical 308 would have. I'd just keep up with the bulking and feeling strong.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL