The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Routine dillema!

My problem is ive never ever stuck to a routine ive always just made sure i did all body parts in any order every week and had all the gd exercises in there, since i started lifting 2 yrs ago, and ive had some decent progress but now my progress is dead. So ive decided im actually going to make a routine and see if that helps.

I looked at WBB 1.1 but isnt this more of a beginners routine? but theres a few exercises in there i have never done which i could benefit from... ive just centered my workouts around doing the big 3... but maybe its time i started good mornings and snatchs etc etc... Goals are to bulk but slowly for the next 90 days up to 210lbs. I am also for the first time ever going to get a proper amount of protein, not 1g / kg bw but 1g / lb bw... which should make a difference and actually drinking my PWO shake straight after my last set.

so suggestions? i want something very hardcore! i dont want to be able to walk to the car on lower body days and be able to reach for the door handle on upper body days lol.......

im 6'2 and around 180lbs...
    Last edited by unj; 09-21-2008 at 06:05 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I dont want to gain fat though or much of it, in my first bulk a year ago i gained a good % of fat too cos it was so dirty! Stretch marks have ruined my arm pits! :-( and my arms... and im not even big lol. would UD 2.0 be any good for me? ive got a copy and was waiting to either use it for my cut or post this primairy bulk to end my SLOW LAME cut that has lasted a year lol...

Squat
    Row
    Bench

DL 5x5
    OH Press
    Pullup

Power Cleans
    Front Squat- Different set/rep range than 5x5
    Dips

Squat to 1RM
    SLDL
    Decline Weighted Crunches

OR

Squat
    Row
    Bench

DL
    OH Press
    Pullup

Power Cleans
    Front Squat
    SLDL
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 09-21-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Squat
    Row
    Bench

DL 5x5
    OH Press
    Pullup

Power Cleans
    Dips

Squat to 1RM
    SLDL

OR

Squat
    Row
    Bench

DL
    OH Press
    Pullup

Power Cleans
    Front Squat
    SLDL
    Okay now that seems okay but not enough i could do those heavy for 6 sets each 4-6 reps and still walk out the gym fine... not enough exercises??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by unj View Post
    Okay now that seems okay but not enough i could do those heavy for 6 sets each 4-6 reps and still walk out the gym fine... not enough exercises??
    If you can do that for 6 "heavy" sets you're not training heavy.

Exactly, I was going to suggest a routine similar to that, but either of those are quite sufficient. I guarantee you that if you use enough weight on each of these exercises and do 5 or 6 sets of 4-6 reps, you'll be blasted after the workout. Make sure you eat enough and get enough rest. Thought about Starting Strength? It's not just for beginners.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Exactly, I was going to suggest a routine similar to that, but either of those are quite sufficient. I guarantee you that if you use enough weight on each of these exercises and do 5 or 6 sets of 4-6 reps, you'll be blasted after the workout. Make sure you eat enough and get enough rest. Thought about Starting Strength? It's not just for beginners.
    Whats Starting Strength? Okay Well im going back to the gym tomorrow after a 2 week break! I devised a little workout...

UPPER BODY
    Monday - Flat Bench, Weighted Dips, Incline Bench/Chest Press
    Tuesday - Mill Press, Shoulder Raises, Arnie Press, Power Shrugs
    Wednesday - Curls, Chins, CGBP, Skullcrushers, Cable Pushdowns
    Thursday - REST
    LOWER BODY
    Friday - Squat, SLDL, Hack squat, Calve raises
    Sat - Deadlift, Chins, BB Rows, Lat pull downs, Power Shrugs
    Sun - REST

What you think? I'll stick to it for 8 weeks and make a diary. Going to start at 2,900 Cals and push it up till i gain 1 lbs a week. Its got to be a slow bulk!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Squat
    Row
    Bench

DL 5x5
    OH Press
    Pullup

Power Cleans
    Dips

Squat to 1RM
    SLDL

OR

Squat
    Row
    Bench

DL
    OH Press
    Pullup

Power Cleans
    Front Squat
    SLDL
    I like the top routine, i need an alternative to power cleans though cos my gym is a leisure gym and not hardcore enough for me to do such exercises...

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength... You can purchase the book on Amazon.com

Here's a link to a quick outline of the program. Not nearly as much info as in the book.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752
    Last edited by 40 Nunc; 10-04-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by 40 Nunc View Post
    Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength... You can purchase the book on Amazon.com

Here's a link to a quick outline of the program. Not nearly as much info as in the book.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752
    Okay see this looks to basic for me, i started out on a routine like this and i got a fair bit of gains but now i feel like im a mediocre lifter. I have to train some muscles specifically to see any growth, just compound lifts dont work! But ill see how my routine goes if im not feeling it ill start this.... cheers though

Well, there is no where in the weightlifting "rule book" that says your routine has to be ridiculously complictated. Take some advice and try either one of Zens routines, or Rippetoes. I have been lifting for 4 years now and have just recently found out about Rippetoe. I gave it a shot, and i absolutely love it. Just increase the weight every workout, eat, rest, and drink milk.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_op View Post
    Well, there is no where in the weightlifting "rule book" that says your routine has to be ridiculously complictated. Take some advice and try either one of Zens routines, or Rippetoes. I have been lifting for 4 years now and have just recently found out about Rippetoe. I gave it a shot, and i absolutely love it. Just increase the weight every workout, eat, rest, and drink milk.
    Im not saying it has to be complicated, just saying some isolation work is good? Like my triceps are TINY and recently ive started focusing on them and now they are getting bigger and stronger but if i just bench they dont get hit hard enough? But ill try rippetoes....

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unj View Post
    Im not saying it has to be complicated, just saying some isolation work is good? Like my triceps are TINY and recently ive started focusing on them and now they are getting bigger and stronger but if i just bench they dont get hit hard enough? But ill try rippetoes....
    I finished a 20 week program of weights/HIIT. Lost some weight, gained some muscle and took 2 weeks off before starting Rippetoe's SS... I started SS last Monday and the only part of my body not sore at this very moment is my ears! Trust me, your triceps will get worked - lol!
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by 40 Nunc View Post
    I finished a 20 week program of weights/HIIT. Lost some weight, gained some muscle and took 2 weeks off before starting Rippetoe's SS... I started SS last Monday and the only part of my body not sore at this very moment is my ears! Trust me, your triceps will get worked - lol!
    lol im sold. im starting SS today, going to the gym in an hour just about to fix up a quick pre workout meal! Any suggestions?

Okay i loved the routine. I did add one cable exercise for my triceps at the end but thats it. Im going to start a journal for this bulk! Thanks guys...

yea its great, I added dips and chin ups for the "icing on the cake". I also do a little ab work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_op View Post
    yea its great, I added weighted dips and weighted chin ups for the "icing on the cake". I also do a little ab work as well.
    ditto, these are really the only complimentary exercises that are truly needed imo.
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Quote Originally Posted by Twirl View Post
    ditto, these are really the only complimentary exercises that are truly needed imo.
    Yeah im going to be doing both and doing both wieghted

Its the day after and my back, hams, glutes, partially quads, chest & mildly triceps hurt! The others will be sore after tomorrows workout but the problem is i really really want to workout today! What can i do? Rippetoes is one day on, one day off...

Would there be something wrong with going for a bicep/ab workout? would it work against me considering ill be doing bicep involved exercises tomorrow? No point in cardio on a bulk....
    Last edited by unj; 10-06-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Rest tomorrow. Don't forget that you really grow on the off/rest days, so you need to give your body some rest.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Rest tomorrow. Don't forget that you really grow on the off/rest days, so you need to give your body some rest.
    Im talking about today, i worked out yesterday so today was rest day. Yeah i've heard this lots but when your 18 you recover quick! At this age over training is difficult unless all you do is workout one muscle group. I didnt go to the gym, might just do some ab work and some bi work in a minute because im bored. None the less time to eat salmon and brocolli with potato wedges here i come!