The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    mjjinstl

Confused: 3 Lifts in one day or one per day????

I am new to power lifting and have gotten conflicting advice from experienced power lifters.

One side argues that doing the big 3 lifts on one day, assistance work one another, and speed work on yet another day is the best method.

The other side argues that squats and some assistance work should be day 1, bench and assist should be day 2, and deads and assist should be day 3. (when does this method leave time for speed work?)

So I ask you, the powerlifting community, which is a more tried and true strategy? Advantages and disadvantages to each? Am I over-thinking this? The way I see it, power lifting requires much thought and planning.

HELP

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't consider myself to be pro or elite but I am not a beginner at any means. Tried and true strategy? Westside Barbell method. 2 lower splits (ME & DE squat/deadlift) and 2 upper splits (ME & DE bench). I been using this method tweaked to my liking and am seeing progress every time. I can understand the need to perform the big-3 lifts into one day to mock a meet setting.

Wannabebig Member
    I wouldn't train all three in one day too often at all. As jtteg_x said, upper/lower split is the way to go.

There's a reason you feel like you were hit by a truck the day after a full meet.

Wannabebig Member
    youll probly get stronger giving eah lift its own day but you also need to get used to doing bench and deads after squats so you can prepare for meets. youll probably need a second day for press assisstance, squats and dl tie in together my current split is

Mon
    squat
    cleans
    back
    ghr

wed
    heavy bench
    chest/shoulder/tricep presses (go by feel and weak points)

fri
    deads
    snatch
    front squat
    traps

sat (optional)
    speed bench
    arms

it works well i have crappy knees so i cant do to much leg work at one time so i do some 2x a week and space them out enough so the swelling is gone for the second day

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    For years the Frantz team did all 3 on the same day.... it worked to a point.

Now we set it up with a heavy ( or max effort) squat and deadlift day on saturday, Bench on either Monday or Tuesday, and a speed day for squat and deadlift on Wednesday. This seems to be working a lot better and is more in line with what other top teams are doing.

We still will do all three on one day once or twice before a meet just to get the conditioning built up for it.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Doing all three one one day is very taxing on the cns, hence why it can take up to 3 weeks to fully recover from a meet.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Ive trained all 3 lifts on the same day before, I think if you set it up correctly it can work fine. The main problem is that if you are in powerlifting gear the training session would take forever. If you do set it up like this, i wouldn't do 3 max effort lifts, i would set it up using some form of periodization.

I separate the lifts (1 squat day, 1 deadlift day, 2 bench days) until the last weeks where I often work up to squat + bench openers in the same session. I did this due to only being able to train with certain people 1x per week but it has worked out for me.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

mjjinstl
    I am thinking of doing something like this: (thank you all for your answers, by the way)

Sunday: ME squat, Speed bench, squat assist

Tuesday: ME Bench, Speed Squat, Bench assist

Thursday: ME Deads, other assist work

Critique, recommendations?

I like more time between speed and Max bench..... but we're all different..... you might as well give it a shot and see how your body responds.

mjjinstl
    Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I like more time between speed and Max bench..... but we're all different..... you might as well give it a shot and see how your body responds.
    Perhaps I could do Sun, Wed, and Friday? Better ya think?

Wannabebig Member
    I agree.

@mjanitch I think he means something like ME Lower (MON), ME Upper (TUE), DE Lower (THU), and DE Upper (SAT).

I think training ME for all three workouts in your training week will wear you quick unless you either (a) are a beginner or (b) schedule in a deload week every 3rd or 4th week while varying the intensity and volume throughout the other weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mjanitch View Post
    Perhaps I could do Sun, Wed, and Friday? Better ya think?
    I'd do Sun, Wed, Thurs or Sun, Mon, Wed...... again, because I like a little more time off before heavy squat day....

but what works for me might be too much rest for you...... we're at different stages in the game and our bodies are different. Just start however you want to start ( you have a good idea already) and if you notice that you need more rest between days or anything else like that you can tweak the program for yourself. No program will be perfect for you right from the start.

mjjinstl
    I'd do Sun, Wed, Thurs or Sun, Mon, Wed...... again, because I like a little more time off before heavy squat day....

but what works for me might be too much rest for you...... we're at different stages in the game and our bodies are different. Just start however you want to start ( you have a good idea already) and if you notice that you need more rest between days or anything else like that you can tweak the program for yourself. No program will be perfect for you right from the start.

Thanks Barzeen, I appreciate your responses. I think you're right......I'm generally on the right track, just need to tweak it to my own personal needs.