The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Novice question

Wannabebig New Member

Novice question

Hey guys, I have been reading around a lot and wanted some personal directed advice. I'm trying to find the best way to cut down fat and lose weight with a goal of also getting cut. I'm at 245, 6'1 18 years old. I'm pretty out of shape because I haven't been physically active this past year. I was surprised because sophomore/junior year in highschool when I was playing football, I could bench 185 reps easy, and now it was difficult to push up 150 a few times.
    What would the best diet plan be for me if I am seriously willing to do anything to get cut and in great shape?

Right now my diet is horrible, I am eating one or two meals a day which is 9 times out of 10 fast food. This HAS to change.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by buzzsaw714; 09-25-2008 at 09:56 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Get on a regular workout routine... I recommend Starting Strength. That will keep you busy 3 days a week, usually mon/wed/fri, you can add some cardio after these workouts for added benefits... try HIIT, it's awesome for burning fat.

For diet... try to eat 3 meals a day for a week and track your calorie intake each day. At the end of the week if you've gone up in weight, eat less, if you've gone down, that's good and then you'll just need to work on what you're eating.

Look into things like this:
    Chicken breast or canned chicken
    Tuna/salmon
    Fresh fruits
    Fresh vegetables
    Oats and brown rice
    eggs
    green tea, milk, gatorade (powder mix, not pre-made)

Not sure if you have $$ for supplements, but I know that ALN has a good fat burning package available, a lot of people around here have been enjoying the benefits of that.

Trying not to die young.

Wannabebig New Member
    Any supplements that would help I would def. be able to get.

3 meals a day + a couple snacks? (fruit, natural pb, veggies, yogurt)

Would something like...

Mon-Upper body
    Tues-Cardio
    Wed-Lower+abs
    Thurs-cardio
    Fri-upper
    sat-cardio
    sun-rest

be a good routine?

Also, what about vitamins and how would you use a fat burner supplement? Like in a shake? And what is in a fat burner supplement?
    Last edited by buzzsaw714; 09-23-2008 at 08:36 PM.

You honestly don't need 'fat-burners'. What they do is raise your heart rate. Don't make this complicated at first. Just start with a simple calorie deficit.

*Edit: Fat burners are very useful and some can help with appetite supression as well (caffeine). I said what I did because they are in no way essential for you at this point of your cut.

I'm gonna guess that cardio will have your heart rate high enough if you are out of shape.
    Last edited by TopCat; 09-23-2008 at 11:13 PM.
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer

Wannabebig New Member
    thanks topcat.. quick question, if I start working out 6 days a week, 3 cardio/3 lifting... and eat extremely healthy (white meat, vegetables, tons of water) how much could I expect to lose per week as a goal? Or what would an appropriate goal be to set for 1 month, 3 months, 6 months...?
    Reason I am asking is because I am goal driven, and like to work my ass of to go past a goal.

thanks
    Buzzsaw

Wannabebig New Member
    Going to have to disagree a little on this..

Starting with Endurance is the best possible thing for your body to start at. 4 times a week Upper/lower body split. HIIT for your condition is not a good Idea, 55% - 60% THRZ (Target heart rate zone) for 10 minutes on a treadmill, or outside. AKA: Light jog. If this is to much, speed walk, or Even stationary cycle until you feel confortable joging. Reps should be 12-15 starting out, 2 Sets per exercise. Rest time, Id say, go 60 secs, This isnt tech "endurance" but I dont think you should be doing the 30 sec rest time at your condition, At least not yet.

Every 3-4 weeks lower your rest time, up the length of of your cardio, make it 3 sets instead of 2 ect. Your body needs it to be going through the stages over time.

To hit a "fat burning" Zone, Usualy takes 20 minutes @60- 65% THRZ. Work up to it, Believe it or not, A light log for a longer period of time is much better for fat burning.

I would not start with hypertrophy, or strength. I would work up to it. It is true that Hypertrophy is the best way to gain muscle and lean up, but I really rec that for more advanced lifters. The more muscle you have, the more energy your body needs, AKA the more calories your burning throughout the day (Metabolism raises also).

Just basing this off the schooling I have gone through.. So much more to say, but thats a quick 2 cents