The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

$1,000 for a 1000 lb bottom position squat

another from PLwatch:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/770

My Grand for A Grand Challenge

This is an open challenge to anyone in the strength, fitness or just in the regular world. Be the first person to duplicate or beat my 1,000lb bottom position squat and Iíll give you $1,000 dollars.

Iíve debated on sending out this challenge for a while. Got advice from close friends on both directions, but I decided that it was something I wanted to do and something that I would respect of other people. You see I think that if you say you can do something then you ought to have the guts to put something behind it. Similarly if you donít then maybe you should shut up about it. So in the tradition of the old time strongmen, I challenge anybody in the world to duplicate or beat my 1,000lb bottom position squat.

Iíll make it very simple. You have to start at parallel, bar sitting on the pins of a rack and using a belt only, stand all the way up with 1,000lbs. I donít care what you weigh. I donít care what kind of plate, bar or rack you use, as long as it adds up to 1,000lbs. I donít care how ugly the lift is as long as nobody else touches you. Before you do the lift take a picture of your starting position from the side and send it to me. Weíll arrange for an independent person to witness and verify the starting height and relative authenticity of the plates and that you only use a belt. Then video tape the lift. For now, weíll set a preliminary cut off date of May 1, 2006. Thatíll give you 16 weeks to start with, more than the length of the average powerlifting cycle.

My only other condition is that you take a drug test and prove that youíre lifetime drug free. I know lots of guys who take roids and this is not a personal slap against them, but I do think it is wrong and does discount your lift. Again this is not meant to personally insult anyone, nor is this challenge. But this is my challenge and if you want to take it up you have to play by my rules. That means no drugs and if you do it Iíll give you $1,000.00.

When you open up to do something public like post a video of yourself performing a lift, you open up to a great deal of idiotic criticism. Thatís fine and I expect it. People have variously suggested all kinds of things about me and the lift that I have on my website, because itís easy to say anything about anyone behind a computer screen. One of the things thatís been said is that any big time lifter could duplicate the lift with little trouble. WellÖ hereís their chance. If they can Iíd be more than happy to see it. Iím even allowing for training time, even though the opinion seems to be among several mouthy critics that they wouldnít need it. Notice I said critics, because I have found almost universally that truly strong, hard training people are respectful and usually quite pleasant.

Iím willing to do something that almost no one else is willing to do. I believe in my training techniques enough that Iím putting money on the line to see if theyíre the best. Who else is willing to do that?

If as people have suggested that itís no big deal, then it ought to be easy for someone to walk up and take that money. All you gotta make is one lift.

People are going to say all kinds of stuff about this. Thatís fine. Let me tell you some of why Iím doing this. Because I honestly want to see if anyone else can do it, not to stroke my own ego. Because I think it is the most legitimate way to squat regardless of what anybody elseís rules or competitive organization says. Because I donít think competition would legitimize a lift or settle any kind of controversy. Because I want people to see that true drug free heavy lifting DOES exist. Because I also want people to see that you donít have to have on double suits and wraps to squat heavy. Because I donít normally acknowledge critics and I wonít acknowledge them on this, but this is my answer.

I hope that someone takes up the challenge. I think itíll be great for real lifting! Even though people have said some pretty nasty stuff about me, this is not intended to be disrespectful towards anyone, but as a challenge to bolster the strength world. Most of you reading this have probably seen the footage of this lift, if not itís on the front page of the website http://strongeman.com.

God bless and hope you all have a great new year.

Bud Jeffries

i don't really care about how $1,000 is not a lot of money, etc.

who do you guys think could do this? i need some time to think on this, but one person comes to mind who i think could come close right off the top of my head, James "Pitbull" Searcy. i've never seen raw strength like that guys before.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Is there even a ****ing test that can show "lifetime" drug free? Seems like BS to me. Was he (Bud) tested at the time he did this feat of strength?

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Is there even a ****ing test that can show "lifetime" drug free? Seems like BS to me. Was he (Bud) tested at the time he did this feat of strength?
    There is an orginization in the Northeast/East, I forget at the moment, that is drug free and also has a "lifetime" drug free division. They do the normal testing as well as Polygraph testing as far as the lifetime thing.

Intermediate Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by HP666 View Post
    There is an orginization in the Northeast/East, I forget at the moment, that is drug free and also has a "lifetime" drug free division. They do the normal testing as well as Polygraph testing as far as the lifetime thing.
    It's the WNPF. I lift in the Fed.

I don't think there is any conclusive test to determine if one is lifetime drug free. Someone please feel free to correct me if they have better info.

5'9" 197 lbs 50 Years Young
    Powerlifting Total (single ply): 1101 lbs.
    Bench (raw): 245 X 8
    Incline Bench Press (raw): 225 lbs. X 8
    Strict Standing Military Press: 190 X 1
    Training Journal.

I'm pretty sure this challenge was issued like 2 years ago.

Personally I think there are quite a few guys out there who could do this. Its just nobody cares. Plus I'm not sure how reliable the payoff would be

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

Personally I think there are quite a few guys out there who could do this. Its just nobody cares. Plus I'm not sure how reliable the payoff would be
    QFT...

LOL, this is true.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    really who cares?

Last time I checked "Bottom Position Squatting" was not in any way a test of strength or ever used in competition.

How bout he just says: "Hey, Im strong and claim to be drug free, If you claim to be drug free too, then I challenge you to a battle of lifts that no one gives a **** about. If you win you get 1000$, Don't know when or how you'll get it, but hey you'll be an internet legend"

I could do that no problem....

In a few years maybe...

Or never...

Trying not to die young.

Submitted by jon on January 4, 2006 - 9:24am.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Video

See for yourself. Red lights from my keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    Video

See for yourself. Red lights from my keyboard.
    Lol! I don't think I'd be that excited if I won a million dollars.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Banned
    that was....

that was ehhhhh....

wow

someone must have updated the thread, i thought it was new. i must say it takes some very brute strength to do that...i wish there was a video from the side.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

impressive that's for sure, but..... i thought the squat was a 2 part exercise? just pushing it us is amazing but, is it considered a squat?
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

It's a bottom position squat. It's a competition to see if anyone else can do 1000lbs. It's meant to be fun; why not have fun with the strength you've worked so hard for?

I know it's an old contest, but on this forum, I'd think jon bernor and kingkong would be up to it
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fók you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Problem with something like that is a) risk of injury on something that has nothing to do with a meet and b)this would take some training, time away from training your regular squat

It actually wasn't meant to be fun. Bud Jefferies got mad that everyone was not giving him the credit he felt he deserved for the lift.

Its a cool lift, no doubt, but its not jaw dropping amazing whoa bud is the man type lift. Had it been full range this would be different.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Problem with something like that is a) risk of injury on something that has nothing to do with a meet and b)this would take some training, time away from training your regular squat

It actually wasn't meant to be fun. Bud Jefferies got mad that everyone was not giving him the credit he felt he deserved for the lift.

Its a cool lift, no doubt, but its not jaw dropping amazing whoa bud is the man type lift. Had it been full range this would be different.
    You make good points
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fók you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Banned
    Had it been full range this would be different.
    ?? Bottom-up squatting is much more difficult, and this was not a suited lift, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    ?? Bottom-up squatting is much more difficult, and this was not a suited lift, was it?
    It seems harder because you don't get any stretch reflex, but when you have 1000lbs on your back the down part HAS to take something out of you.

nope not suited.

I'd disagree with you on which is easier. Its very similar to benching off pins, even if the pin height was only an inch or two off your chest.

To be honest if it was easier to full squat 1000lbs I think he'd have done it in competition

Banned

To be honest if it was easier to full squat 1000lbs I think he'd have done it in competition

agreed

Banned
    I'd disagree with you on which is easier.
    Huh. I wouldn't have thought that. I've only messed around with pin squats a time or two and they were damn hard.

Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    Uh, Why doesnt he just do a full range squat with a grand?
    Even if it was with gear?

I'm not sure that was a squat but more of a side effect from the epileptic seizure.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.