The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Deadlift Suit?

Please share what suits you have worn, which style (conv or sumo) and which one you feel is best please.

Semper Fi

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Titan Sumo Deadlifter
    Metal King Pro Sumo deadlifter (2-ply)

Titan was my learners suit and real easy to use. had good pop off the bottom. suit did became a bit loose after 5 months of use. good choice to get an idea what a deadlift suit should feel like. very beginner friendly. material is lightweight and not heavy duty which makes it easy to sit into at the bottom (imagine a soft spring vs firm).
    The metal was a more advanced suit. Or because I got mine super tight. Adjustable straps is a must since then. Tremendous pop off the bottom. very very stiff all around. grabbing the bar to pull your hips down may be necessary (again, i did get my size smaller then called for).

i vote for the metal king sumo DLer as well.

i've heard good things about the fusion for conventional.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    Please share what suits you have worn, which style (conv or sumo) and which one you feel is best please.

Semper Fi
    um arent you a good deadlifter, why dont you tell us what suits you use and like? and styles of deadlifts you have tried that work with what suits?

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    um arent you a good deadlifter, why dont you tell us what suits you use and like? and styles of deadlifts you have tried that work with what suits?
    Perhaps you could answer his question and then request that he provide his opinion as well?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I have a metal king pro deadlifter and am pleased with it, for conventional style. Has probably given me about 50 lbs on my pull over what I could do raw - simply because of the speed and "pop" off of the floor. If you are weaker in the upper range of the lift you may want to order it slightly larger because I know if I strap up tightly (they are adjustable) I feel like I am going to pass out trying to get down to the bar and it is pretty uncomfortable.

Prior to this I only had an Inzer Champion single ply and I think the only benefit from that was the workout that it took to get it on, although it did keep me in the right groove for sumo pulling.

I have heard good things about the fusion and some of my friends swear by Inzer max DL. I still think that I have seen bigger jumps achieved with the King Pro though - there is a LW strongman who recently pulled 735 lbs at 6'1 210-215 lbs bodyweight with that suit.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

How do you feel about pulling in a squat suit? I'm seriously thinking about pulling sumo in my Ace Squatter in my next comp.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Perhaps you could answer his question and then request that he provide his opinion as well?
    i have tried a champion and dual quad, they limit me on what i can do raw, I'm looking for one that would help me dead conventional, I know pretty much nothing about deadlift suits which is why i was asking him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    How do you feel about pulling in a squat suit? I'm seriously thinking about pulling sumo in my Ace Squatter in my next comp.
    that should work just fine, i would of course try it in the gym first. i pulled in my pro squatter quite a bit, and it dosen't even have velcro straps (yet), and i liked it. the king sumo beats it though.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I have tried more deadlift suits than many, and I am preparing to do an extensive article on it which is why I am gathering information via this thread. I have had the luxury of testing and have had my input in creating various dl suits. The only brand I have little experience with personally is Metal. I will have the article done in the near future. Everyones input is valuable to me.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    I have tried more deadlift suits than many, and I am preparing to do an extensive article on it which is why I am gathering information via this thread. I have had the luxury of testing and have had my input in creating various dl suits. The only brand I have little experience with personally is Metal. I will have the article done in the near future. Everyones input is valuable to me.

Semper Fi
    make sure you post the article!

i don't know of too many articles on that topic, should be a good read.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    Titan conventional. My wife uses the Metal King Pro.

I get bout 100lbs out of a reg metal pro. I pull conv. Iv used a centeriun for conv pulls before and it gave good pop...not as much though..I got a few friends that use the king pro...conv and like it..I tried a champion and a z suit way back in the day and they were a waste.

Thanks so much for posting your experiences here bros! Please keep the responses coming, this is turning into a VERY informative thread!

Semper Fi

Custom User Title
    I pull raw and have since I began powerlifting. I got a Metal Viking IPF squatter about a year ago, and tried using it to deadlift a couple times. I usually only pull it on meet day on my third attempt. It's really hard to get down to the bar though, and it probably does more harm than good :0
    DL 650x1 (raw)
    SQ 479x1 (raw), 700x1(suit+briefs)
    BP 395x1 (raw), 457x1 (single ply)

Current: 6'1, 265; Goal: 6'6, 270

Training log

Im still testing each week bros. It is a very long and hard process to help create a new dl suit, something I do have some experience with. Once it gets completed expect an entire article devoted to DL gear, how and when to use it, and most importantly, which suit works best for each style and that is also legal in the federation in which you want to compete. My training partners can vouch for the effectiveness of these suits, you cant reinvent the wheel but you certainly can help better what is already in place.

Semper Fi

I deadlift conventional and have deadlifted in a inzer hardcore, titan centurian, metal deadlifter and metal viking deadlifter.

I found the inzer ok, but didn't get a lot from it- the titan had great pop off the floor, but I found it hard to get into position and I seemed to get jammed up in lockout with a rounded back (I think because my starting position was off). The metal suits are fantastic- both were great, but the viking was/is awesome. Seems to give support right through the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    I get bout 100lbs out of a reg metal pro. I pull conv. Iv used a centeriun for conv pulls before and it gave good pop...not as much though..I got a few friends that use the king pro...conv and like it..I tried a champion and a z suit way back in the day and they were a waste.
    100lbs??? damn, what am I doing wrong? I'm lucky to get 30lbs.

I'm wearing a Metal King Pro Deadlifter right now. Conventional. I like it. The adjustable straps are nice.

Previously I pulled in an Inzer Harcore squat suit and the two don't really compare.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

BradDunn
    I use a Metal IPF Deadlifter and it's great. I'm getting 60lbs + out of it. I think Metal has an awesome overall line of product.

Wannabebig Member
    metal DLer for Conv, Inzer canvas for sumo

Wannabebig New Member
    I use my squat suit to deadlift in. It is better than any deadlift suit I have tried; inzer hardcore and Titan sumo deadlift. The suit I have is a Frantz double canvas squat suit. You can get it at frantzpowergear.com

my experience.

I deadlift sumo. I don't get much out af any dl suit I've tried.
    I really like an old pair of double ply crain briefs that has the legs.
    I've pulled in my Inzer hardcore squat suit and did well.

Right now I like my custom single ply Titan dual quad deadlift suit. It feels different than any other DL suit i've ever worn. When I reach down for the bar I feel the tension in the butt much more than the hips.

as far as actual DL suits, i've only wore Titan original deadlift suit and the custom one. All others were squat suits.

Wannabebig New Member
    It may be too late to reply, but the best carry over I ever got was from a new Inzer Max DL. When I first started pulling sumo, I got about 80 pounds out of it. As my raw strength increased, by carryover decreased and I decided to switch to Metal King Sumo. It is stiffer material, but I only get about 20 pounds out of it. I have tried tweaking it with mods. I am relatively strong off the floor and tend to struggle with grip and balance issues at the top, so there probably is not a suit that will give me a lot of carryover until I improve my top end. I am sticking with Metal for now, but next year I may go back to Inzer. One think I like about the Inzer Max DL is that it is tapered in the mid section, so you get extra support in the abs and lower back and there is less "dead space" that prevents extreme tightening of belt. The Metal is loose in the mid section, although I did have it modified recently.

BTW, my best deadlifts are 622 raw and 644 equipped at 5-11, 198 pounds.
    Last edited by PRHunter; 11-13-2008 at 11:43 AM.

I pull conventional and am currently using a Metal Viking IPF Squatter. I get quite a bit out of it, actually (like 50lbs). I used to use a Titan Centurion for DLing and got a good amount of pop off the floor but it loosened up quite a bit over time to where I had to get the straps shortened. The great thing about the Metal is it's very easy to get on and off and still works great.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle