Thread: Trying to get serious about weight lifting

Wannabebig New Member GlowingFaceMan's Avatar

Trying to get serious about weight lifting

Hello

I was a wimp most my life. Last year a powerlifter friend introduced me to lifting. That was a big improvement, but overall I was just his gym bitch. Since I didn't really "own" my workout program (he did all the planning, scheduling, etc.), I had very little motivation, and lifting was a big chore.

Then I got a girlfriend and vanished from the gym for a good half year.

Now, I'm getting back into lifting, but this time it's different. This time I'm going solo, I'm doing all the scheduling, all the planning, all the studying, all the research, all the diet... consequently, I'm *amazed* at the motivational difference.

I was worried I wouldn't have the self-discipline to lift without a friend pestering me. Instead, I'm so motivated about it, that now it would take more self-discipline *not* to lift. I've even been getting lifting cravings late at night when the gym's closed, even though I already lifted that day!

Right now I'm on day 12 of a 30 day self-imposed challenge to workout every day. To avoid overtraining, the workouts are very light: half an hour of lifting followed by half an hour of treadmill. I have two "days" which I switch back and forth:

day A: squats, dumbbell rows, deadlift, crunches etc., treadmill
    day B: dumbbell bench (flat), curls, hyperextensions, crunches etc., treadmill

The "crunches etc." are new, I just recently resolved that I want a sexy sixpack.

How did I pick this particular program? Well, it's pretty much arbitrary and random. My plan, to ensure I don't neglect certain muscles or unbalance myself, is to only keep something in the program until I plateau on it. Once I've been on a plateau for a few days, I'll switch it out with something similar (eg. dumbbell bench flat --> dumbbell bench 30 degrees).

Overall, though, I'm mostly trusting that my own body will tell me what I need. I don't know if that's really wise... if I overtrain, that'll just be a life experience.. I could get someone else to write a "perfect" program for me, but then I wouldn't own it, and I'm afraid my motivation would go to 0 like before.

Anyway, this is just kind of my way of saying hi and introducing myself to the board Hope to chat with you all and learn from you and someday even give some value back

-Glowing Face Man
    Last edited by GlowingFaceMan; 09-25-2008 at 07:35 PM.

ah. isnt it grand becoming a lifter and self-educating yourself? thats how i began. and i love lifting just as much.
    its great to hear you got into it.

tho you do have a few good lift choices, id recomend a routine like Baby Got Back, or Rippetoes. look them up and tell me what you think.
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

My want to re-jig your routine with the idea that you grow out of the gym, not in it.

Your body needs rest, even if you are keeping the workouts light... it would be better to bump them up to medium or heavy and go like 4 days a week, that way you at least get some rest in there. You could still do cardio on your off days if you really wanted to be in the gym every day.

Either way though it's awesome that you took the initiative to get into it on your own, keep up the good work, and keep asking questions/reading/learning.

Trying not to die young.

while the other programs might not be "your own" they will definitily do you some good, i would reccomend going and picking up a copy of starting strength. the motivation will come when you look in the mirror or when you hit new PRs. then you end up wanting more (you always will).
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Starting Strength is an awesome book, I love it. I put off buying it when I first came to this site and that's the only thing I've regretted in 3 months.

Trying not to die young.

Wannabebig New Member GlowingFaceMan's Avatar
    Alright, I took everyone's advice and did a rest day today, which is to say, when I went to the gym today I only did treadmill, crunches etc., and jumprope.

Question: are crunches like calisthenics, you don't need to take rest days with them? I know stereotypical "non-weightlifter" routines often include something like "20 sit ups every morning" etc. Or should you rest between crunch days too?

I'll look into some of these recommended books/techniques and see what I can take out of them

crunches work the abs, which are like any other muscle.

they benefit from the same type of workout as other muscles - including recovery time that is needed for growth. Workout your abs once a week or possibly twice , with 48 hours in between the workouts. Do 3-4 different exercises (planks, reverse crunches, incline crunches, bicycles) of whatever brings you to failure, whether it be waited or not.

That's how I understand it at least.