The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEW Westside Barbell Video

I've been working on this for the last couple of weeks and finally got it done. All the footage is from within the last two weeks on our RE day which has taken place of DE day.

The video has a bit at the end with Lou explaining why we do what we do

http://atlargenutrition.com/westside...ingfootage.php

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Holy thighs, what's the name of the first lifter in the video? He makes that look very easy.

What I would give to train in that kind of environment...

Banned
    So, what exactly is RE then? His explanation didn't make much sense, it sounded like it was ME, but with a couple sets?

The first guy is Luke Edwards.

Reko, RE has taken place of our DE day, not ME. So instead of moving a light weight for repeated sets of 2 or 3, now he has them using heavier weights for repeated sets of singles or doubles. They use a lot more tension weight on RE day rather than straight weight (which is mostly used on ME day) and they never use more than briefs on RE day. Staying in only briefs keeps the weight from getting too high.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Great video!
    Travis, how do they decide on what weight to use for RE days?

Lou keeps an eye on things and suggests a particular weight for them to work up to and hit most of their work sets at. Its not based off a percentage so much as perceived exertion I guess you could say. As you can see in the videos, both Luke and Greg had plenty more in the tank, but they stopped there.

The deadlift training on RE day is always done with band tension, or sometimes not done at all (depends on how the lifters are feeling) and on ME its done with no band tension and occasionally off pins.

I should add, this would not be a good idea for beginner or intermediate lifters to try and model after, rather its best for lifters who have an extensive knowledge of training and who know their body and how it responds to training. These guys spend a ton of time in their rehab stuff keeping their bodies in shape and repaired for the next workout.

Glad you guys liked the video!

Banned
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I should add, this would not be a good idea for beginner or intermediate lifters to try and model after, rather its best for lifters who have an extensive knowledge of training and who know their body and how it responds to training. These guys spend a ton of time in their rehab stuff keeping their bodies in shape and repaired for the next workout.
    Gotcha

I love it.

I have always enjoyed watching the westside crew in video tearing it up...
    Great footage, keep it coming.
    Proudly sponsored:
    EliteFTS - APT Pro Straps - Spud Inc. - LG Sciences

Banned
    Lou keeps an eye on things and suggests a particular weight for them to work up to and hit most of their work sets at. Its not based off a percentage so much as perceived exertion I guess you could say. As you can see in the videos, both Luke and Greg had plenty more in the tank, but they stopped there.

The deadlift training on RE day is always done with band tension, or sometimes not done at all (depends on how the lifters are feeling) and on ME its done with no band tension and occasionally off pins.

Glad you guys liked the video!
    So for a bench day it would be with dbl minis or straight purples or something, done from the ground (as opposed to a reverse band), and then straight weight for max work?

for the record, Matt Smith is an animal.

thats a crazy week of lifting. heavy singles, doubles, and triples in briefs on what is now RE day, then max effort work in more gear on ME day. they are also pulling twice a week? is this correct?

i understand these guys all have their diet and supplementation in check 100%, and do plenty of recovery work.

that is a TON of stress on the body and CNS, i don't think my body could handle that. then again, i am nowhere near the level Matt and Greg are on.

that just blows my mind that they can recover from a training week like that!

thanks for getting that footage Travis, i enjoyed it. i will watch it before my lower sessions this week.
    Last edited by Lones Green; 09-27-2008 at 05:38 PM.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    So for a bench day it would be with dbl minis or straight purples or something, done from the ground (as opposed to a reverse band), and then straight weight for max work?
    the RE method only applies to squat work. We keep the DE method for bench work.

the RE method only applies to squat work. We keep the DE method for bench work.
    is the RE work just to take a break from the DE work? I'm assuming they'll go back to the speed work after a while, right? Have you ever done something like this for benching even though you're currently keeping the speed work?

ahh soo ****ing dumb! the vid wont load for me
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

no, they've been doing this for about a year. They wave the tension weight so its not always that crazy of a weight. The first set of videos is at the end of a band cycle and the second set of videos is the first week of chain weight cycle.

In theory at least, yes I have done something similar in my bench work. For instance, last week I ended a band cycle with doubled purple bands for triples with 255lbs bar weight which comes out to about 455lbs at the top (around 88% of my max) but I was still able to move it fast. This sort of work helps build more brute, power type strength. Now this week, I'll go back to doubled mini bands, so the tension weight and the bar weight will come out to less than 88%. Thats where its different than the RE method for squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by powerboy93 View Post
    ahh soo ****ing dumb! the vid wont load for me
    close the screen and try it again. I just tried it and it worked

Travis thanks for posting that. I have learned alot from Louie over the years and he is a great person for sharing his knowledge. Thanks for posting that so the rest of us can learn as well.

Semper Fi

Pretty cool, Travis. Thanks for sharing. I've noticed in different training logs that a lot of people's DE days for squatting have turned into fairly heavy workouts, often with multiple bands, and I was kinda wondering what was up with that. I got it now, haha. And great camera work, man!

I also meant to ask you, Travis, why have they started doing that? Or why has Lou instructed them to start having an RE day as opposed to a DE day? It seemed like they did DE day for years, and it seemed to work pretty well. I'm just curious as to why Lou's decided to switch it up. Thanks, Travis.

Delaying teh inevitable essentialherb08's Avatar
    DANG! thats heavy stuff. The force is strong with ya'll lol. So 800 lbs + 200 pounds of bands... thats like 1000 lbs. Question? why not just add the 200 extra with just weights? does this build more speed or what?
    Your test will become your testament
    Your mess will become your message
    I rock the Hemp Oil each and every day
    19yrs 5'10ish around 160 lbs in June 180 as of Sept.

An autistic stoned avengers vendetta against culture induced nutrition deficiencies

Acts 5:39"But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."

Intermediate Lifter
    That's a great video. Thank you Travis. Those weights are insane!

5'9" 197 lbs 50 Years Young
    Powerlifting Total (single ply): 1101 lbs.
    Bench (raw): 245 X 8
    Incline Bench Press (raw): 225 lbs. X 8
    Strict Standing Military Press: 190 X 1
    Training Journal.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ACaslow View Post
    I love it.

I have always enjoyed watching the westside crew in video tearing it up...
    Great footage, keep it coming.
    +1

Their vids are great.

Cool video, I'm guessing the RE is to add another potential strength/ muscle gain day without using going Max Effort? Just another tool as opposed to the DE?
    lol, maybe Lou would say should up and lift something heavy and fast!
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Quote Originally Posted by essentialherb08 View Post
    DANG! thats heavy stuff. The force is strong with ya'll lol. So 800 lbs + 200 pounds of bands... thats like 1000 lbs. Question? why not just add the 200 extra with just weights? does this build more speed or what?
    That would be for max effort day

Quote Originally Posted by essentialherb08 View Post
    bands hammer the lockout! this is important especially when in gear
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Travis this is a cool video.but i have a question,Do you all do this for bench press also in place of De day. if so is there any type of template to go buy like percentages or anything.this seems more like a not so heavy max effort day with the working up to singles and doubles as you said. is there a certain number of sets you all try to shoot for.and is there a reason that louie has stopped de day or do you guys do them occasionally but maybe just trying new things now.