The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squat/Deadlift Rotation w/WSB

How do most of you rotate your squat and deadlift exercises on WSB? My current routine has me doing squats on my ME day and then good mornings as the main supplemental, and then on DE day I have been doing deadlifts or rack pulls as my main supplemental following the 10x2 box squats. I'd be curious to see how some of you alternate these...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

depends if i'm in a training cycle for a meet or not. i like to squat heavy almost every week though.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    My DE workout always consists of box squats ( plus various alternated assistance work ). My ME workout alternates deads, squats, concentric goodmornings. Last week I decided to try doing both heavy squats and heavy deads in the same workout. It felt great at the time, but my ME bench workout, which had to be the next day for various reasons, really suffered. I don't think I'll do that very often.

BTO - so by only doing a competition squat or deadlift every 3rd week, do you still see solid strength gains each time you do them?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Effect View Post
    BTO - so by only doing a competition squat or deadlift every 3rd week, do you still see solid strength gains each time you do them?
    Yes. I think doing max effort concentric goodmornings has helped my deadlift more than doing deads alone.

I should have been more clear though. I squat every other ME squat/dead workout. On the weeks that I don't squat I cycle deads and concentric goodmornings. So it looks like this, just for ME workouts..

Week 1: Squat
    Week 2: Deads
    Week 3: Squat
    Week 4: Concentric GM
    Week 5: Squat
    Week 6: Deads
    Week 7: Squat
    Week 8: Concentric GM

At least that's what I've been doing lately. I'm sure I'll change that eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Yes. I think doing max effort concentric goodmornings has helped my deadlift more than doing deads alone.

I should have been more clear though. I squat every other ME squat/dead workout. On the weeks that I don't squat I cycle deads and concentric goodmornings. So it looks like this, just for ME workouts..

At least that's what I've been doing lately. I'm sure I'll change that eventually.
    that is a good little program, remember, variations can always be done. (IE standing GM's, seated GM's, pulls with bands, different bars, etc. the possibilites are endless.)
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wow - so you're actually only doing deads once a month basically. Impressive that your number still goes up each time. I never realized that concentric GMs had that much of an impact on the deadlift.

Do you do any assistance stuff like rack pulls or anything after the box squats on DE days?
    Last edited by Lunar Effect; 09-30-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Effect View Post
    Wow - so you're actually only doing deads once a month basically. Impressive that your number still goes up each time. I never realized that concentric GMs had that much of an impact on the deadlift.
    I think they work all the same muscles as deads, but since it's in a slightly different way, it prevents you from adapting.

Do you do any assistance stuff like rack pulls or anything after the box squats on DE days?
    Yes, sometimes.

My DE workout always consists of box squats ( plus various alternated assistance work ). My ME workout alternates deads, squats, concentric goodmornings. Last week I decided to try doing both heavy squats and heavy deads in the same workout. It felt great at the time, but my ME bench workout, which had to be the next day for various reasons, really suffered. I don't think I'll do that very often.
    What grip are you using on your me squat? Thumb Under or Over? Pinky Under or Over? For me the thumb under, pinky under grip saves my shoulders quite a bit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    What grip are you using on your me squat? Thumb Under or Over? Pinky Under or Over? For me the thumb under, pinky under grip saves my shoulders quite a bit.
    Thumb under, pinky over. I've never thought about doing pinky under.

But I don't think my grip is what caused issues with my ME bench workout the next day. My shoulders didn't feel all that beat up or anything, I just had nothing left energy-wise even the next day ( or the day after that ).