The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Westside and DE Squat Stance?

Reading articles on the WSB site and EliteFTS, I see Louie recommends DE benching with multiple grip widths. The way I understand it is to make you stronger/faster in more than one position. So why does he reccommend DE squating in only a wider than competition stance? Has the multiple stance thing been experimented with and found to be unfavorable? If so, why isnt it as effective?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

benching with the multiple grips is for hitting the triceps as well as the chest. If you use all the grips, it will help isolate all the areas, although most guys at Westside now just do pinkie on the ring and comp grip.

As for the squat stance, close squat stance hits alot of quads. Quads aren't nearly as important as hitting your hams and glutes

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Westside lifters wear squat suits, which usually favor a wider stance and stronger hamstrings. The extra wide stance will strengthen your hips and hamstrings and prepare you to squat in a suit. When in the suit you'll have to force your knees and hips out hard in order to get the most out of the suit.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

We don't wear squat suits during DE squats. Just briefs

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    We don't wear squat suits during DE squats. Just briefs
    I know. I was just saying that the reason for wide stance is to prepare for using the suit in competition.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I have played around with different stances on DE day (although, now i kind of do a heavier 'RE' day instead.)

I usually do 2 or 3, 3-week cycles of a little narrower then my contest stance. I do this because it saves my hips a bit and I feel my quads are slightly weaker then my hams/glutes.

After 2 or 3 cycles of the above, I usually do a cycle of ultra wide squats (feet at the sides of the mono). I am not very strong at this position, but it sure hits my hips hard.

I cant say for sure if this has helped.. My squat has gone up lots in the past while, but its hard to say that a single thing bought it up - ive learned my gear better, done a few ME cycles which turned out great as well..

I would give it a try if your squat is stuck.. Louie is a smart dude, but you may find something that works well for you that he doesnt neccesarily use.

Lexen Xtreme
    Close stance squats will also hit your lower back as well as your quads, which Travis mentioned earlier. At Lexen, we typically rotate these in instead of GM's every few weeks, either moderate weight out of the monolift or with the belt squat machine, onto a low box in both instances, and no briefs or suits. The principles aren't quite the same as changing grip width on the bench, but it is good assistance work for both regular squat and deadlift. On heavy squat days, we do occasionally modify stance width, but it's more of a semi-wide, wide, ultra-wide change instead of going to what would be a close stance.