The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    One gripe I have about CrossFit is all the equipment needed sometimes. It makes me wish I had my own personal space. It just isn't possible for me to take up so much of the gym sometimes. running from station to station.
    People at the gym WILL look at you funny when you jump from say deadlifts to pullups, then run out the door for your 800m run, and then back a minute later to do another round.
    I don't think you need that much equipment. I workout at home, and the only thing I'm missing is a 15ft climbing rope and a rower. There are substitutes for most of the exercises. i.e. I just pinch 2 25lb plates together for Kettlebell swings. I have a basic squat rack, barbell, and 500+ lbs of iron. That's most of it. I made a 20lb medicine ball by cutting a slit in a $3 rubber basketball from walmart, filling it with sand, and sealing it up. My "rings" cost me $10.43 from home depot (pvc and rope + clamps). The dogs go crazy when I run up the stairs, out the door, down the street, then back, down the stairs, rep out 21 deadlifts (or whatever), then run back up and out, etc. Neighbors probably think I'm nuts too.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Banned
    Apparantly, it's cool to superset and take up multiple statrions if other people aren't doing CF while you are:
    http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...sue1_Sep02.pdf

Left hand side, "day 2" of how to get kicked out of your gym in 10 days or less.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    Unless you are at the top of the sport or think you could be, I don't know why anyone would want to be a powerlifter over a crossfitter (defined as being good at all parts of Fitness, regardless of what methodology you use to get there). I think it's a lot more impressive to be good at everything that at one thing. It is more applicable in real life and in sports. Your general health tends to be a lot better, and you generally look better, too.

That's not to say I don't have a lot of respect for the sport of Powerlifting or the lifters on this board. I think you guys are animals, and I think you are generally more elite than the elite CrossFitters at this point -- the idea of CrossFit is sort-of, kind-of new and we're still seeing big jumps every year.
    How do you think elite powerlifters got there? They trained for it. If you want to be a top level, elite powerlifter, you need to train for it.
    Roll Tide.

^^ Let me change that to...
    Unless you think you are simply genetically much more gifted at powerlifting, and have the ability to be an elite level powerlifter...

Banned
    Unless you think you are simply genetically much more gifted at powerlifting, and have the ability to be an elite level powerlifter...
    But how would you know without years and years of training?

The thing about powerlifting is that you get back what you put in. If you do everything you can to total 2000#s or whatever the actual multi ply number is to be classified as elite then you can do it. Granted anyone can do crossfit and if you do everything you can to dominate crossfit then you can probably do that too. But, genetics are a cop out.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    But how would you know without years and years of training?
    I think it's pretty obvious when you're much more geared toward pure-strength. The indicators I guess would be that you can get strong pretty quick, and you can't improve your cardio very fast.

And you get back what you put into anything fitness related.

Again, I realize I'm overstating my point, but I think powerlifting (pure-strength) is the equivalent of being really good at boxing, whereas CF (total fitness) is like being really good at MMA. How many people consider powerlifters as "the best athletes in the world?" How about Decathletes?
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-30-2008 at 07:34 PM.

I don't think you understand it. Mixed Martial Artists train in what they do because they want to be complete fighters. Powerlifters aren't here to be the best athletes in the world, they are just here to smash ****ing weights, whatever it takes to squat/bench/deadlift as much as possible. Nothing more than that.

It's starting to sound like some people (not trying to offend you KingJustin) I know who say "so what if you're stronger, and can lift more than me. I don't care, I can still knock you out with a punch."

Well, I definitely understand that powerlifters just want to move a lot of weight. If that's your mindset and you simply enjoy it a lot more than cardio -- cool, I can accept that. Admittedly, really great cardio will probably do nothing for your life. And I also would say the top powerlifters (many of them are on this board, which is awesome) are at a higher level than the top CF athletes right now.

BUT, I am simply making the case that imo there are numerous benefits to working towards total body fitness (even if you don't follow the particular methodology of CF) over powerlifting. One of them is that, imo, it's simply more impressive to be pretty good at everything than very good at one thing and below average at everything else. Like Phil pointed out, it's kind of like being good at nothing but squats--yeah, that's awesome you squat a lot and it's damn impressive to be able to get under a bar and squat 1,000 lbs and be terrible at everything else (and I'm not trying to understate this: this accomplishment is much more impressive than the totality of what I can), but imo it's more impressive to have an 800 lb squat, a 550 lb bench, and a 750 lb DL. And, to a greater degree, to be good at all parts of fitness. It's just more functional.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-31-2008 at 02:39 PM.

I'd rather be very good at one thing (or having big three's) than to be pretty good at everything else. But I also make sure that I always work on my weaknesses so they don't hold me back later on. I just don't think it benefits you that much in real life to be athletic and have great cardio, unless you're an athlete. I guess it's just a difference of opinion

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    ... Of course, you should first do the standard crossfit "warmup", done every workout day. It is 45 pullups, 45 ring dips, and 45 overhead squats (with a bar), situps, hyperextensions. Stretch. ...

For some reason I haven't been able to find where this is specified on the crossfit site and knowing the standard warmup is obviously pretty important so if I'm not finding this what else am I now finding. Do you have a link to where this is specified?

Pretty sure he was joking there Tee...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by teeroy View Post
    For some reason I haven't been able to find where this is specified on the crossfit site and knowing the standard warmup is obviously pretty important so if I'm not finding this what else am I now finding. Do you have a link to where this is specified?
    Standard Warm-Up is

3 Rounds of 12-15

Overhead Squat (with bar or pvc)
    Pull-Ups
    Dips
    Crunches
    Back Extensions
    Samson Stretch (15-30 seconds per leg)

if the WOD includes any of those (for speed), you obviously wouldn't do it as part of your warm-up (or you could lower the volume)

SEE 1.8 of the CrossFit FAQ
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General7
    Last edited by KingWilder; 01-05-2009 at 05:44 AM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Kingjustin why do you automatically assume that powerlifters are out of shape slobs? You make it sound like if you choose crossfit your going to look like david and if you choose to powerlift your going to look like someone who eats every meal at Mcdonalds. Your going to build more muscle powerlifting plain and simple hence you have the potential to look better. And If someone has a high bench squat and deadlift assuming they do some amount of conditioning what would their weakness be?

Ah, its in the FAQ. I figured it would be under the Start Here link so I was poking around there.

Thanks, there's a lot of info in that FAQ that I'll be reading through.