The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Crossfit Experience

A Crossfit gym opened up in my city recently (within the last 6 months I believe) and a couple of guys that I work with started training with them about a month ago. Before they joined they asked me if I knew anything about it and if it would be good for them. I had read the website, and checked the W.O.D on occasion but I had never done any myself. Considering their goals I said yeah, Crossfit would be a good way to train.

So, they've been going at lunch and coming back beat up as hell. Half the time they don't even finish the workouts. So they finally talked me in to coming for a session to see what it's really like. I was doing a 'deload' week from my powerlifting training before starting a new program anyway...

The day that I went we did 3 rounds for time of:

800m run
    50 GM's with 45lbs
    50 situps (full situps on an 'abmat')

I finished in about 29min 15seconds I think. I finished second in the group that I was with. Even though I feel I did pretty well it kicked my @$$!!!

I haven't run seriously in more than a year and a half. The 800m runs don't sound like much but by the end of each I felt like I was going to die. The GMs were easy for me and were more of a 'dynamic rest' than anything. I haven't done a full situp in a LONG time, so the situps were pretty tough. I usually just do crunches or any number of other ab exercises.

Anyway, the conclusion is, Crossfit kicked my ass. It definitely wouldn't fit with my powerlifting training but if I were just training for general fitness, weight loss, etc. then I would definitely be doing Crossfit.

If you've been thinking about checking it out, DO IT! I had a lot of fun during the workout, and at least at the gym that I went to, the atmosphere was great! The people were very friendly and there was a 'friendly competitive' environment. Everyone was pushing themselves to win, while at the same time cheering on all the other people.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Crossfit experience!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Too bad your first WOD was one of the more boring ones. I hate running anyway.

I like the WODs with 2-3 barbell exercises, done rapidly. Something like Diane or Fran.

Or something like this:

21-15-9 reps of,
    Bodyweight bench press
    225lbs deadlift (for a 180lb male)
    pullups

It might only take you 6-8 minutes (if you're good), but you'll be sucking wind for while after that, and sore for a day or two all over your body. Of course, you should first do the standard crossfit "warmup", done every workout day. It is 45 pullups, 45 ring dips, and 45 overhead squats (with a bar), situps, hyperextensions. Stretch.

I like the ME days too. And the 5x5s (or 7x3s) of Squat, deadlift, presses, cleans, etc.
    Last edited by manowar669; 10-01-2008 at 06:33 AM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

personally I love fran

21-15-9 for time
    95lb Squat Thrusters
    Pull-ups

Another good one:

5 rounds for time
    275lb Deadlift x 5 reps
    10 burpees
    Last edited by KingWilder; 10-01-2008 at 10:47 AM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I love the idea behind it. I like to incorporate it in my 3day workout split on the off days.
    Sarvamangalam!

Used crossfit while preparing for the army which worked great for me. Though imo its good for a change and for GPP although Crossfit seems to focus on a lot of stuff which is good for some i.e. Rugby players, army, gymnastics, mma (all with a few changes) but for many its too random. If you wanna be good at something you have to specialize yourself. Its a choice you have to make, otherwise you will be mediocore at a lot of stuff but never be the best in something. Just my .02 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyXL View Post
    If you wanna be good at something you have to specialize yourself. Its a choice you have to make, otherwise you will be mediocore at a lot of stuff but never be the best in something. Just my .02 cents.
    Thats kind of the point of crossfit and GPP - its supposed to *prepare* you to do whatever kind of physical activity you want, be it endurance running, sprinting, weightlifting, strenght training, gymanstics, fighting, etc. Most people who do crossfit just want to be healthy and stay in shape.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

I predict Crossfit will overtake Scientology as the new high profile celebrity cult.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    I love the idea behind it.
    What idea is that? Work hard, and improve GPP?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyXL View Post
    otherwise you will be mediocore at a lot of stuff but never be the best in something. Just my .02 cents.
    There are a lot of people who use CrossFit as a "base" and then "specialize" on top of that. Of course, for most that's not the intent, so it's a moot point. But as an example, my wife has been crossfitting for 3 years and just broke the Canadian Deadlift record unofficially (310 @ 105).
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    But as an example, my wife has been crossfitting for 3 years and just broke the Canadian Deadlift record unofficially (310 @ 105).

And she's hot. Very hot. Haha, good to see you pop up on the board midget.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    Nothing wrong with midgets here!

As far as this is to believe, Anthony is even shorter than you haha.

I'm of course a huge advocate of CrossFit. I did Westside for awhile, and my powerlifting gains on CrossFit were just as good as when I followed Westside, and in addition my endurance/stamina/olympic lifts/general compound lifts improved substantially. Everyone's body responds a little bit differently, and mine happens to respond very well to CrossFit.

Also, CrossFit isn't just cardio. What is described in the op's post is a "metcon." Everyone thinks of CrossFit as just metcons because they are sort-of unique so it stands out, but CrossFit also does a lot of heavy work. There's (slightly) more max-effort work in CrossFit than in Westside. And the system works really well, because your muscles get taxed in a high-rep kind of way during the metcons and then they get taxed in a heavy-weight kind of way on the max-effort type lifts. So, essentially you're doing the same kind of things powerlifters do, but you get a bunch of added benefits. (Not to say that for most people CrossFit is the most effective way to powerlift)

And lastly, even for powerlifters, CrossFit metcons are really helpful. There's endless articles by Dave Tate (and others) talking about the importance of GPP. That's basically what the metcons are. Yes, it's true that at a powerlifting meet you are doing a single rep and your cardio is not a factor. But, when training for the meet, you're probably doing some sets of 5+ reps of heavy squats. That is pretty taxing cardiovascularly, and if you are not in shape you might miss a lift in part because of a lack of cardio. So, improve your recovery ability/work capacity, add some stamina, and develop some movements you're not great at...
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-02-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    . There's (slightly) more max-effort work in CrossFit than in Westside. ...
    Come on Justin, you know that's false. A typical PLing split is calling for some sort of ME work at least once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Come on Justin, you know that's false. A typical PLing split is calling for some sort of ME work at least once a week.
    And if you look at the big picture, CF averages about the same.

CF averages out two Max Effort sessions per week?

Edit:

In August I saw 3 Max Effort Days (one chinup, one squat and one dead). In July there were 6 ME days, though you don't see many ME "5s". Same thing for June. May had 5 ME days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Crossfit doesn't have their heavy work. I'm just saying that they don't have more Max Effort days than a typical PLing split.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 10-02-2008 at 06:19 PM.

There's a ton of variation between the WoD listed on the CrossFit homepage and the WoDs conducted by affiliates.

There are some things I love about CrossFit and some things I don't care for. Just like any other program or gym, there are success stories and not-so-successful stories.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    There's a ton of variation between the WoD listed on the CrossFit homepage and the WoDs conducted by affiliates.

There are some things I love about CrossFit and some things I don't care for. Just like any other program or gym, there are success stories and not-so-successful stories.
    I agree. I should've mentioned that when talking about "crossfit" I always mean the main HQ website. You are quite right that there are a million ways to structure things.

Edit:

In August I saw 3 Max Effort Days (one chinup, one squat and one dead). In July there were 6 ME days, though you don't see many ME "5s". Same thing for June. May had 5 ME days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Crossfit doesn't have their heavy work. I'm just saying that they don't have more Max Effort days than a typical PLing split.
    If you count the 5-5-5-5-5's, there' 12 ME lifts in July.

But yeah, now that I look closer at it, you're right. I guess most powerlifting splits have plenty of additional 5x5 type work and if they don't get to count it towards ME work then I guess CF can't either. At any rate, there still is a significant amount of ME work that is complimented by some 5x5 type work, heavy metcons, and moderate metcons (i.e. "Fran"). If you add in a little extra heavy work on your own, in addition to the main site WODs, then you can get really strong. I guess it's convenient to use Anthony as an example.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-02-2008 at 07:49 PM.

then you can get really strong.

I think it really comes down to what you consider really strong and in what arena you plan on testing that strength. As far as the Crossfit community goes, yes you can become very strong. Compared to someone who competes solely based on their big 3, then the strength levels don't raise as many brows. It's all based on perception.

Yeah, but consider
    (1) nobody in CrossFit is trying to be a SHW, so you have to compare them to natural, raw lifters in the 140-220lb or so classes
    (2) they don't train only the specific lifts, so they aren't going to benefit from having perfect form
    (3) CrossFit judging is a bit more strict than some feds
    (4) CrossFit lifters don't have weak points: dips, pull-ups, overhead press, snatch, clean & jerk, etc. are all lifts where they pick up a lot of ground compared to powerlifters, and
    (5) for the most part, they don't have the same leverage benefits of powerlifters, which doesn't necessarily mean they aren't as strong. For example, someone 6' tall probably would want to be around 250(?) as a powerlifter, and as a CrossFitter they are going to want to be around 180. The true powerlifters at 180 lbs, however, simply are going to have leverage advantages. At 250 this becomes kind of inconsequential because of the added muscle mass that makes up for it, and the impossibility of someone 5'5 getting that big. But, that's not to say the person isn't really strong -- they could probably show it in a strongman/fixed ROM type event.

I'm not saying CrossFitters are truly stronger than Powerlifters, but I think that you can get really strong doing CrossFit, and in addition you can get a lot of other physical benefits...
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-02-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Yeah, but consider
    (1) nobody in CrossFit is trying to be a SHW, so you have to compare them to natural, raw lifters in the 140-220lb or so classes
    (2) they don't train only the specific lifts
    Your numbers:

(1) The natural part is debatable (sp?). Not everybody in CF is natural.

(2) What you outlined there is the reason the numbers aren't any bigger. After a certain point, there just isn't the specificity to continue progressing. Not everything can go up at the same time. Will CFers get strong, yes, but you're not going to see any "CF made" 600lbs DLers or squatters.

They average about 1-2 ME sessions per week mostly in the 1-5 rep range. Is that more than a typical WS split - no, but it's comparable - especially when you consider workouts like "Linda" and "Lynne" are thrown in for good measure.

Don't get me wrong, a specialized powerlifter has the potential to be stronger than someone who doesn't specialize. BUT, there are still some extremely strong folks in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

BUT, there are still some extremely strong folks in CF.

I don't disagree with that at all.

I wannabebig!