The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Losing weight and building muscle

Hey

I've been dieting for about 2 months now and think I've lost a bit of weight. I've also been lifting weights for about a month. I'm definately getting stronger as I've had to up the amount of weight I lift a couple of times. I have a couple of questions:

1. I've read on a few sites that you can't lose weight and build muscle at the same time, but on others I've read that you can. Can anyone tell me for real if you can or can't?

2. Another thing I've read as true on some sites and false on others is that you can work out your abs daily and don't need rest days. Is this true?

3. Every second day I lift weights for about half an hour (bicep curls, bench press, chest flies, and lifting up above my head). Right after I do a 10 minute run also. Would it be best to run every day, or on the days I do weights, or on the days that I don't do weights? My primary goal is weight loss but I'd also like to build muscle (depending on answer to question 1).

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Guido; 10-02-2008 at 03:06 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Hey

I've been dieting for about 2 months now and think I've lost a bit of weight. I've also been lifting weights for about a month. I'm definately getting stronger as I've had to up the amount of weight I lift a couple of times. I have a couple of questions:

1. I've read on a few sites that you can't loose weight and build muscle at the same time, but on others I've read that you can. Can anyone tell me for real if you can or can't?

Body Recomp - It's possible, especially with newbie gains.

2. Another thing I've read as true on some sites and false on others is that you can work out your abs daily and don't need rest days. Is this true?

Train them like any other muscle

3. Every second day I lift weights for about half an hour (bicep curls, bench press, chest flies, and lifting up above my head). Right after I do a 10 minute run also. Would it be best to run every day, or on the days I do weights, or on the days that I don't do weights? My primary goal is weight loss but I'd also like to build muscle (depending on answer to question 1).

post your routine - better yet just try one of the routines on this site. Wbb 1,1, Baby Got Back, Starting Strenght

Thanks for your help
    bold is mine
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Thanks for your reply. Yea I've heard that before about newbies; what happens after that period is over? If I'm still dieting will I be wasting my time lifting weights?

With my routine, every second day I do this (in this order):
    - 3x 8 reps of bicep curls
    - 3x 8 reps lifting weights vertically above head
    - 3x 8 reps of bench presses
    - 3x 8 reps of chest flies
    - 10 minute run at a decent pace (tires me completely)

I think I've lost a bit of weight and my strength has increased a bit. I've been doing this for about a month. Do you think this will be an effective routine for continuing to loose weight will building muscle (taking advantage of the newbie thing)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Yea I've heard that before about newbies; what happens after that period is over? If I'm still dieting will I be wasting my time lifting weights?

With my routine, every second day I do this (in this order):
    - 3x 8 reps of bicep curls
    - 3x 8 reps lifting weights vertically above head
    - 3x 8 reps of bench presses
    - 3x 8 reps of chest flies
    - 10 minute run at a decent pace (tires me completely)

I think I've lost a bit of weight and my strength has increased a bit. I've been doing this for about a month. Do you think this will be an effective routine for continuing to loose weight will building muscle (taking advantage of the newbie thing)?

Thanks
    you need to do your legs bro. your upper body will be much bigger than your lower body at this rate. incorporate some squats and deadlifts and try to make a split so your not doing the same exact routine every other day. try out starting strength becuase it focuses on the compound lifts that really helps you gain muscle faster by incorporating the whole body. focuses mainly on deadflits, squats, bench press. i have to go now, but good luck here bro. i am in a similar situation as you as with the gaining muscle but keeping wait down

Newbies can lose weight and gain muscle, it's harder for the rest of us that have been in the game longer.

No offense, but that's a typical newbie "beach muscle" routine. You're missing legs and back, primarily. Buy the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It explains all the exercises he suggests and then he gives you a routine.

As far as "dieting" goes, 5 meals a day of good, clean food in the right portions and always continue to lift weights - even if you're not "dieting". You'll find that if you start eating correctly, that you can gain or lose weight just by eating a bit more or a bit less.....no "dieting" necessary.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

rippetoe's starting strength, just do it
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Thanks for your replies guys. Ah yes the back and legs I've been thinking about that lately and think I will maybe do those on the days that I'm not doing my arms/chest. I think that would be an advantage just for daily life really

I'm not really dieting, but I've just cut ALL junk food and soft drinks, and am eating health food 3 meals a day and have cut my portions slightly. Also eating a piece of fruit between meals

I would buy the book but I don't have a credit card for buying online, and I live in New Zealand so I highly doubt it's available here. Though I think with these tips from you guys, and online searching I will be able to sort out a decent routine, and change it every few months or so to keep it fresh.