The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member brihead301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,565

    A couple more questions about competition

    Hey, thanks for all the help and responses to my last thread, I just had a few more questions that I was unable to find clear answers to by searching around.

    1.) I understand that there are 100% drug-free federations. As someone that's not using anything would it be recommended to do a drug-free comp? Or does it even matter?

    2.) I plan on doing all raw lifts, but I was unable to find any 100% raw comps in my area. Would it be a huge disadvantage to me if I competed raw in competitions where gear is allowed?

    Basically, I just want to start competing raw and natural.

    3.) On powerliftingwatch.com it tells you what federation the meet is for, so I just do a google search on that federation to see the rules and stuff, but there's one where it says "N/S" under federation. What's the deal with that? Does something like that even count as an actual meet?

    4.) Why is there so many different federations anyway? Are there major differences in them?

    I've been reading up a lot on it, and I think I'm gonna go to the one on Oct 18in Leeport, PA that Chris Rodgers from this board is going to.
    Last edited by brihead301; 10-02-2008 at 11:45 AM.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    GREAT BLUEGRASS STATE
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Hey, thanks for all the help and responses to my last thread, I just had a few more questions that I was unable to find clear answers to by searching around.

    1.) I understand that there are 100% drug-free federations. As someone that's not using anything would it be recommended to do a drug-free comp? Or does it even matter?



    2.) I plan on doing all raw lifts, but I was unable to find any 100% raw comps in my area. Would it be a huge disadvantage to me if I competed raw in competitions where gear is allowed?

    Basically, I just want to start competing raw and natural.

    3.) On powerliftingwatch.com it tells you what federation the meet is for, so I just do a google search on that federation to see the rules and stuff, but there's one where it says "N/S" under federation. What's the deal with that? Does something like that even count as an actual meet?

    4.) Why is there so many different federations anyway? Are there major differences in them?

    I've been reading up a lot on it, and I think I'm gonna go to the one on Oct 18in Leeport, PA that Chris Rodgers from this board is going to.
    1. No federation is 100% drug-free because drug tested federations continue to have lifters that test positive for illegal supplements. If you are "clean", then you should compete in a drug tested meet. Also, I would check the banned list of supplements for that particular federation.

    2. Sometimes you won't have meets that are in your own city or within 30 mins. So, you'll have travel a few hours to the meet. I checked the listing of federations in PA and they do off raw or unequipped divisions. If you compete raw/unequipped against a equipped lifter, guess who will probably win. Otherwords, you'll bringing a pen to a sword fight

    3. N/S means non sanctioned meet and it counts as a meet. One of the biggest difference between sanctioned meet and non sanctioned meet is a paid membership card.

    4. One of the reasons there are so many federations is because an administrator or group of lifters didn't agree with the rules and started their own federation. Majority of all federations have different rules. Link to compare federations: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/compare-federations
    TRAIN HARD

    "BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

    http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

    611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

  4. #3
    Senior Member brihead301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks man. Hey, just one more question I forgot to ask. This may sound stupid, but for the drug-tested meets, would weed be considered an "illegal substance"?

  5. #4
    NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    GREAT BLUEGRASS STATE
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Thanks man. Hey, just one more question I forgot to ask. This may sound stupid, but for the drug-tested meets, would weed be considered an "illegal substance"?
    I can only speak for NASA & USAPL because I currently compete in these drug tested organizations.

    NASA Banned Substance List:
    http://www.nasa-sports.com/drug_testing_news.htm

    USAPL Banned Substance List
    http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/anti...%20List_En.pdf
    TRAIN HARD

    "BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

    http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

    611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

  6. #5
    Senior Member brihead301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,565
    Gotcha. I thought it was just for steroids, but according to the list it's all drugs including the love of my life - mary jane.

    Thanks again brotha.

  7. #6
    Senior Member SELK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,946
    Im drug free, but I have competed in non-tested competitions. I wouldn't worry about it to much - lots of guys that go to these meets are not using.

    I have also competed raw against guys in gear, you will be a little disadvantaged if you goal is to win, but for your first few contests the goal should just be to improve, learn and have fun.

    Id find a meet close to you can give it a go no matter what the rules are. Make sure you get a singlet as they are almost always required.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

  8. #7
    Senior Member brihead301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,565
    Ya, after reading more about it, I'm starting to understand a bit more. A lot of these meets have a "raw" box to check off. And a lot of them are drug tested. The absolute only thing I'm worried about with drugs is having pot in my system (I mean obviously they aren't looking for that, but still it would suck to get disqualified for friggin weed, lol). I also read that it's random too, so not everyone gets tested.

    I'm sure I'll learn a lot more after I go to my first one. I'm either going to go on Oct 18th or Nov 2nd. I'm excited as hell!!!

    BTW, do you guys ever hit new PR's in competitions that you have never hit in the gym? Like, I want to hit a 405 deadlift at the meet, but the most I ever did was 370 x 5 (which was yesterday for the first time). I'd imagine with a bunch of people watching it would make my adreniline pump more, and I'd get a strength boost just from that.

    But, ya I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I'm just excited.
    Last edited by brihead301; 10-02-2008 at 01:34 PM.

  9. #8
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Ya, after reading more about it, I'm starting to understand a bit more. A lot of these meets have a "raw" box to check off. And a lot of them are drug tested. The absolute only thing I'm worried about with drugs is having pot in my system (I mean obviously they aren't looking for that, but still it would suck to get disqualified for friggin weed, lol). I also read that it's random too, so not everyone gets tested.

    I'm sure I'll learn a lot more after I go to my first one. I'm either going to go on Oct 18th or Nov 2nd. I'm excited as hell!!!

    BTW, do you guys ever hit new PR's in competitions that you have never hit in the gym? Like, I want to hit a 405 deadlift at the meet, but the most I ever did was 370 x 5 (which was yesterday for the first time). I'd imagine with a bunch of people watching it would make my adreniline pump more, and I'd get a strength boost just from that.

    But, ya I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I'm just excited.
    the platform is the perfect place for PR's.

    all "tested" federations have quite a few drug users in them. its going to be next to impossible to find a federation with all people who are honestly drug free. some federations use polygraph tests.

    either way, it dosen't really matter. you shouldn't be worried about someone else using drugs, just lift in the federation with the rules you like, and that you enjoy. go to have fun, learn, and lift.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  10. #9
    Senior Member brihead301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,565
    Will do, I can't wait!!

Similar Threads

  1. Recently got back into working out, a couple of routine/split questions?
    By View 1 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 02:42 PM
  2. Couple Questions
    By such6923 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 06:35 PM
  3. a couple questions about wbb 1 routine
    By wannabeabigboy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 01:51 PM
  4. A couple questions regarding legs and grip.
    By Frozenmoses in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 07:46 PM
  5. First competition questions
    By deride in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2002, 03:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •