The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Intermediate lifter in need of the right routine

Hey gang,

I have been lifting seriously for two years making pretty significant gains, but recently I've noticed my progress has hit a plateau so I was wondering if someone could offer a solid routine.

I looked into rippetoe's routine but I feel like I may need a little more than that. Currently, I am 6 1 193 with about a 10% body fat (the trainer at my college did a test which said I was at 7 but I think it is off)

As a soccer player I have pretty much neglected leg workouts so I am hoping to start hitting the quads on a consistent basis which will hopefully help me get bigger quicker.

My diet is decent - I get a lot of calories, but they aren't always clean. I eat to gain size so typically I'll eat something like a couple of slices of pizza, a triple burger, potatoes, broccoli, etc. I am a college student so I cant have a perfect diet but I do my best.

I normally do back/bi's, chest/tris, shoulders/traps/arms, and get a leg workout when I play soccer for my college. Typically I do 3 different exercises for each body parts with 3 sets of 8-10.

Thanks for the help everyone!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The standard procedure here, since you've never followed a linear progression based novice program, is just to do Rippetoe's and see how long it works. Since you've admittedly never trained legs hard, it will work, and it will work for a while.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks!

Does this look good to you Kastro?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752

The only legitimate reason for ever subbing the rows in over power cleans is if the trainee is a complete novice and needs to take the time to learn how to deadlift and squat properly before learning the power clean. Since this isn't you, make sure to power clean.

That 'guide' also suggests a workout-to-workout progression rate of 2.5% on all lifts, which is bogus. Since your squat, deadlift, and power clean are (presumably) untrained, you should be aiming to add somewhere in the range of 10lbs, 10-15lbs, and 5-10lbs respectively on each lift every workout, and probably 5lbs or less (get microplates) on the bench press and press since I doubt they're lagging.

Eat a lot, don't start the program with the weight too heavy, keep the increments small but steady, and you should be able to maintain progress for quite a while.

Wannabebig Member
    Sounds good. Again, thanks for your time.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the original Rippetoe? I keep running into different versions...

Banned
    Once you cap off on SS you can try Rippetoe's Texas method. It's been working great for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Sounds good. Again, thanks for your time.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the original Rippetoe? I keep running into different versions...
    buy the book.

THere is no exact routine. The point of the program is to consistently increase the weight in the main 5 lifts every workout for as long as possible. Sets of 3x5 are recommended for squats, bench, OH. 1x5 is recommended for deadlift, and 5x3 for power cleans.

Squat every workout, alternate bench and OH every other workout, and alternated deadlift and PC every other as well. Chin-ups are the recommended assistance exercise to do if you are going to do assistance work.

I think Amazon.com is where I purchased my copy of SS. Even though it's called "Starting Strength", it's not just for beginners. This is an excellent routine for size and strength. Make sure you eat plenty and get enough rest and you'll get bigger and stronger.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 10-03-2008 at 12:53 PM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench