Thread: SLDL instead of regular DL

SLDL instead of regular DL

Following starting strength, my DLs are failing. It feels like my quads are spent after the squats, and I can't get the bar off the ground. If I can get it off the ground, even an inch or so, I can lift it. I'm wondering if I should do SLDLs instead. I know I'll use lighter weight at first, but the last time I used them regularly, they felt really strong.

What do you think?
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Banned
    try deads before squats.

SLDLs are a good exercise, but I wouldn't do them to the exclusion of regular deadlifts. You could try alternating the two. Or you could just get a stronger deadlift.

Are you low-bar squatting right now? A properly performed low-bar squat should put more stress on your posterior chain than your quads, so that might help save your quad strength.

Wannabebig Member
    i would not squat and dead on the same day
    5'9"
    body weight 180lbs
    Raw bench: 385
    Deadlift: 445
    Squat 455

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DTF View Post
    i would not squat and dead on the same day
    Why?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Why?
    i am not saying he cant im just saying i would not. i find it better to space them apart and stick to a push legs pull style of training.
    5'9"
    body weight 180lbs
    Raw bench: 385
    Deadlift: 445
    Squat 455

Banned
    I squat and deadlift the same day. Usually will go heavy in one or the other and go lighter in one (like heavy deads with speed squats on mondays, then heavy squats and speed deads on thursday). Occasionally if I need to get some work in I'll even do heavy on both, I've even PRed in both on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    SLDLs are a good exercise, but I wouldn't do them to the exclusion of regular deadlifts. You could try alternating the two. Or you could just get a stronger deadlift.

Are you low-bar squatting right now? A properly performed low-bar squat should put more stress on your posterior chain than your quads, so that might help save your quad strength.
    Yeah, low-bar ATF squats. I'm progressing steadily on the squats, even though my quads feel much more fatigued now with the higher weight, and I'm sore longer. My deads flat out stopped. I got to 385X5, tried 395 the next week and failed to move it. Got 385 the following week, but only 1 rep. Now it seems I'm regressing, and anything over 345 seems really tough, and I haven't gotten 385 again. My bodyweight has stalled also, so maybe I need more food. My other lifts are progressing on schedule, so no complaints there. Recovery is always an issue for me, since I rarely get enough sleep, and my schedule likely won't change, so I'm not sure what to do there. My other lifts are progressing on schedule, so no complaints there.

I was using the texas method for a few weeks, and it felt pretty good, since the legs get to recover longer. I went back to SS though, because I have less time to lift on monday, and the 5x5s takes longer than 3x5s. Maybe that's my answer, go back to the Texas method??
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

I think your answer is to eat more and get more sleep like you said...
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Do you stretch after workout? I've always been told it can help with recovery

I wonder if the OP's form needs some work. The DL is a generally a posterior chain exercise and should only really incorporate the quads at lock-out. I front squat after I DL routinely don't seem to have any problems.

I wonder if the OP's form needs some work. The DL is a generally a posterior chain exercise and should only really incorporate the quads at lock-out. I front squat after I DL routinely don't seem to have any problems.
    That's a good point. I've always been a strong pusher, and weak on pulls. I may need to get some coaching, because I feel my lower back may be taking more strain (rounding?) than it should. Maybe I should get a belt (stopped wearing them 6 years ago, or so), not as an assistance thing, but more of a tactile reminder to keep the my back aligned.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    That's a good point. I've always been a strong pusher, and weak on pulls. I may need to get some coaching, because I feel my lower back may be taking more strain (rounding?) than it should. Maybe I should get a belt (stopped wearing them 6 years ago, or so), not as an assistance thing, but more of a tactile reminder to keep the my back aligned.
    Skip the belt and take a video of your pull. There is plenty of expertise on the board that can analyze your form.

Actually, the quads are the primary movers off the floor.