Thread: Training Question

Training Question

My job puts me in a weird spot. I am a utility linemen and as a result I am oncall one week a month now. For the week I am oncall it is near impossible to find time to lift (or sleep for that matter) as I regularly work 100+ hours and at all times. I try to get in some basic bodyweight work since I can do that anywhere. Is missing a week of lifting going to be detrimental or could it possibly work in my favor as far as recovery reasons. As for training without typing out every detail (the game is on) Its similar to David Tates 9 week introductory westside routine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    Is missing a week of lifting going to be detrimental or could it possibly work in my favor as far as recovery reasons.
    I think only you can answer that for yourself. For me I don't think it would be detrimental. But it depends on your goals, where you're currently at, your age,...

100+ hour work weeks are pretty rough. Doesn't sound like there's a lot you can do about it either way. I'd try to make the most of the week and maybe do some assistance work and/or a short DE session when you can.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

A short DE session sounds like a good idea if I can fit it in. I need to ask my company for a bigger bucket truck so I can fit a weight bench in the back.

If you are working that much I would do more frequent very low volume workouts with alternating intensity. It will be difficult to recover from these workouts and so make sure that you are eating and sleeping as much as you can, even though I am sure that is a challenge.

Stick with basic compound lifts like incline bench press, chins, squats, dumbell work (biceps curls, triceps extensions, bench press, military press), etc.

Diet is going to be key here so make sure that you eat relatively clean with a lot of protein and calories. I had a similar situation working 80+ hrs a week and would train 1-3 times per week, one session very long and the other two very short then relied on my diet to keep me in decent shape. In the end I managed to maintain most of my physique and strength.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Those hours are only one week a month, the other 3 I work relatively normal hours. I am doing two ME and to DE non-oncall weeks and when oncall I am gonna try to sneak in what I can and fill in the rest with on site BWE.