Thread: Vertical Jump Training Advice?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Vertical Jump Training Advice?

So I've been looking on the web, and there are several programs out there that can claim to help you increase your vertical jump 12+ inches. I know that these kinds of gains are possible, and am wondering if anyone here has expertise or experience with these types of programs.

More than anything else, I'm worried about staying healthy. I've heard about people who have trained and done damage to their knees, for example. Right now I'm also out of shape after coming off of a surgery to fix a broken nose (as well as just being lazy lately) and need to get stronger regardless.

I'm 23 and at 6'1" ~185 I can get up on the rim, and I have huge hands and can palm a ball with like two fingers. I just need to add another couple of inches so that I can dunk for the first time in my life.

A few sites I've been looking at include Air Alert, The Vertical Project, and sites with Plyometric exercises.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Okla.2A State Track Champs weasel's Avatar
    A friend of mine high jumps I know he does Plyometrics and quite a bit of jump workouts (with those diffrent size boxes in gyms or field houses) He also hits calf raises,squats,etc... really hard building his leg muscles.His goal is 6'5 this year.

next time i see him i'll ask on even more specifics if i can remember.
    Last edited by weasel; 10-04-2008 at 12:24 AM.
    “Your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself.” - Robert Collier

Three words my friend: Vertical Jump Bible
    Easily the best $40 I have spent. I've completed one of their programs, saw good strength and movement gains, and I'm in the middle of another program in the book. So far, I've gone from not being able to touch the rim at all to semi-grabbing it off the run, and being able to tap it from a straight up jump. If I were to guess, I'd say I've gained at least 8" on my standing vert (started out around 16") and probably more on my running.
    I highly recommend this book, it's got programs for people of all training levels and a whole bunch of information on plyometrics.
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    calvs, box squats, and box jumps
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

I play hockey so I do not need to jump high. My question here is would increasing my vertical increase my explosiveness on the ice? I am looking to creating my own routine specifically for skills needed in ice hockey and was thinking pylometrics, sprint drills, and footwork drills would help to increase my skating abilities and endurance.
    Goal:190lbs @ 10% bf by 2011
    Current Stats
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 184
    TEXAS GOON HOCKEY!

Quote Originally Posted by TXslapshot View Post
    I play hockey so I do not need to jump high. My question here is would increasing my vertical increase my explosiveness on the ice? I am looking to creating my own routine specifically for skills needed in ice hockey and was thinking pylometrics, sprint drills, and footwork drills would help to increase my skating abilities and endurance.
    Most leg-explosive type stuff has a good carry-over. Pretty much anytime you increase your vertical, you'll increase your 40 time by a relatively similar amount.

I'm guessing this carry over is very similar to hockey. The strength/dynamic stuff I outlined would definitely be the same for a hockey routine. You might want to change the specific plyometric drills I listed, but you'd still want to do plyos for sure (they will have the biggest benefit in the shortest amount of time). That said, I'm not sure exactly which plyos I would do for hockey off the top of my head.

There's lots of "programs" or "secret formulas" around the web for vertical jumps that focus on developing a certain ability (i.e. really making your calves explosive or something). Most of them work pretty well, but if you want to get the highest jump possible you should attack it with a conjugated type approach -- just like pretty much everything else.

So, you want to work on max strength, dynamic strength and plyometrics.

For max strength, I'm guessing the most effective lifts would be Oly back squats, conventional deadlifts and standing calf raises.

For dynamic strength you probably should add in Clean & jerks, speed work (like 8x2 with 50% of 1rm with short rests) with squats/deadlifts (on deadlifts just do singles), jump squats, and some sort of ridiculous explosive calf movement.

For plyometrics you'll want to do a bunch of different kinds of box jumps. Make sure to add in the jumps that involve you jumping down and then exploding back up. Also maybe some burn-out calf work, practice on the "jumper" if you have access and other stuff like that. But mostly box jumps.

Doing a combination of all three of these is more effective than peaking programs like Air Alert II and you are much less likely to have an injury.

Do all this every micro-cycle (i.e. do at least a little of everything each week), but focus a little more on the strength stuff at first. Then shift the focus a little more to the dynamic stuff, and then to the plyometrics to peak. But, do at least a little of max strength/dynamic strength/plyometrics each week.

Some people also get benefit from highly repetitive jump-type stuff. After you follow this advice, maybe try some of that.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-08-2008 at 10:40 PM.

I don't know if you're of interest of not, but there's an article in PowerliftingUSA about box jumping. Talking about jumping with weights, either ankle weights, dumb bells or weighted vests. Notes some pretty impressive jumps by some guys.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Will definitely throw this into my regimen... Thanks for the info guys.
    Goal:190lbs @ 10% bf by 2011
    Current Stats
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 184
    TEXAS GOON HOCKEY!

Wannabebig Member
    All I can add is that Air Alert is just bodyweight jumping with a lot of repetitions (as to "get your calves used to it"), so IMO, you just might go play basketball and focus on jumping a lot. :P

One exercise: The JumpSquat
    Starting Weight: 140(11/22/07)
    Weight Currently: 160(7/9/08)
    Bench: 170 Squat: 275 Deadlift: No max yet

Start(11/22/07): http://i35.tinypic.com/vxyhdt.jpg
    Progress(1/22/07): http://i36.tinypic.com/161yx52.jpg
    Most Current(7/6/08): http://i37.tinypic.com/2mq86l4.jpg

ChoKE N PoKE