The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Floor Press Questions

On my max efforts, I am having a bit of trouble getting past the point where the bar is a few inches off of my chest. I figured that the floor press would be a great exercise to add to the mix, however I have never done them before.

I assume that since you're only coming about halfway down (versus a typical bench press) that you can do significantly more weight, correct? Kind of like the whole rack pull vs deadlift is what I would assume here.

Also, do any of you ever do close-grip floor presses? I was thinking of maybe doing my ME sets with the normal flat bench with chains and then doing some close-grip floor presses as a main supplemental. The close-grip bench press really aggrevates my wrists, but I was wondering if a CGFP might remedy that...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well I guess I can see why you might think that you'll be able to do lots more weight on floor press, but most people can't.

I believe the floor press is most effective when done with a close grip or variation of it

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Effect View Post
    The close-grip bench press really aggrevates my wrists, but I was wondering if a CGFP might remedy that...

I have been having issues with my left shoulder for some time...and doing dips seems to aggrivate it, as does normal flat bench (sometimes). Last night I tried floor presses with a close grip and it felt fine on my shoulders and was able to do just was much weight as flat bench..but I am guessing that'll change after I get the form down as it is a bit different than flat bench.

Banned
    Makes sense thinking that, but my floor and reg bench are pretty close to the same 10-20 lbs either way........Having the weight completely stop when you pause at the bottom of a floor press makes it a difficult lift for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    I have been having issues with my left shoulder for some time...and doing dips seems to aggrivate it, as does normal flat bench (sometimes). Last night I tried floor presses with a close grip and it felt fine on my shoulders and was able to do just was much weight as flat bench..but I am guessing that'll change after I get the form down as it is a bit different than flat bench.
    Yeah stay away from those dips. They are really rough on the shoulders

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

i never understood how people could floor press as much/more than they bench. my floor press is like 50lbs off of my bench because of the leg drive issue

yeah, my floor press is weaker.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I would do board presses (1-2) over floor press to improve you weakness just off the chest.
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports WannaBeBig!

Follow me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ajroberts

Banned
    My floor press usually mirrors my regular press. I'd have to agree with the boards like AJ said.

Well if you're going to change the exercise, a 2brd isn't really going to help off the chest. Pause 1brd would be good or cambered bar bench will help more off the chest

how good you are at floor press will be determined by your lever lengths. For eg, my arms are short and for me floor press is full ROM.

Well I just got back from the gym, and my floor press is a little bit less (15-20 lbs) than my flat bench. I underestimated how much coming to a dead stop at the bottom would effect the lift. Also, so much of the chest being removed made a huge difference. In the end though, my triceps hurt like hell. I loved it...

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Well if you're going to change the exercise, a 2brd isn't really going to help off the chest. Pause 1brd would be good or cambered bar bench will help more off the chest
    I agree a 4" camber off of a 2 board is great. It adds about 1/2" to the ROM.
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

Quote Originally Posted by minotaur70 View Post
    how good you are at floor press will be determined by your lever lengths. For eg, my arms are short and for me floor press is full ROM.
    Its like this for alot of the bigger guys as well, but its still different than full range bench because the weight is being stopped by your triceps hitting the floor instead of the bar hitting your chest. Plus with your leg drive being removed from the equation its much more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Its like this for alot of the bigger guys as well, but its still different than full range bench because the weight is being stopped by your triceps hitting the floor instead of the bar hitting your chest. Plus with your leg drive being removed from the equation its much more difficult.
    absolutely- definitely harder- I think my best floor press is 440, whereas my best raw bench is 480.

Also, some people don't keep their legs flat and still push with their feet on the floor press. I think this can skew the numbers a tad as well. My floor press is about 20-25 less than my raw bench. I come to a complete stop on the floor and don't just touch and go. I like to think of it as a box squat for the bench.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    I come to a complete stop on the floor and don't just touch and go.
    Same here. I came to a full stop at the bottom of each rep. Really felt it in the triceps...