The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

looking for a new routine

hey guys i was wondering if anyone had any advice on a routine for me. i am 18 years old(19 on the 15th of this month) i am 6'2 and 175 pounds. my best lifts are 275 bench, 260 atg squat, and 390 deadlift. obviously my squat sucks but w/e. i have tried 5x5, and weight does not get added to the bar each work. i have a real hard time gaining stregth. i do eat lol. but yea ive been benching almost 3.5 years, and squatting since end of february, and dling a little less than that so my numbers arent great.

i have a powerrack, a multi position bench, coc grippers all the way to 2.5,which i can almost close =p, and pull up/ dip bars. i have spinlock dbs and 510 pounds of plates for my olympic bb sets. i do not have access to bands and what not. any advice is appreciated thanks guy.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Download my Up Your Bench program: http://atlargenutrition.com/newsdesk...ewsdesk_id=132

You will make overall progress, not just on your bench, if you follow the tenets outlined to a "T".

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Download my Up Your Bench program: ]

You will make overall progress, not just on your bench, if you follow the tenets outlined to a "T".
    wont my squat and deadlift go down on that program??

and i dont have a leg press at my house so i cant really follow the program exactly =\.

i was thinking of doing a westside program what do you guys thik about that.?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
    wont my squat and deadlift go down on that program??

and i dont have a leg press at my house so i cant really follow the program exactly =\.

i was thinking of doing a westside program what do you guys thik about that.?
    47 views and only one response?? i heeard this was the best forum for advice yet noone wants to help me.

Honesty, the best advice I can give is to eat more and gain some weight. It's going to be tough to get very strong at 6'2" and 175 lbs. I know you said you eat alot already, but obviously you need to eat more.
    A relatively simple program like Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 stuff or 5x5 should work fine for getting stronger. You should be able to find enough information on these programs by searching on the web. You could also buy Wendler's 3 day a week training manual from Elitefts.
    I'm an inch shorter than you and I started powerlifting at ~215 lbs. Without gaining weight there was no way I was getting stronger. I'm 285 lbs. now and there's no way I would be as strong had I remained at 242 or less. I'm not saying try to gain 100 lbs. right away, but start gaining something.
    Last edited by Sean S; 10-10-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Westside is a great method. People's numbers seem to fly up when they start using conjugate periodization and westside methods of max effort
    Sarvamangalam!

Really a lot of things would work for you if you work hard at it. Check out the articles on Elitefts or WS4SB by DeFranco if you want to learn Westside principles and gain weight. I like Rhodes' Raw Squat routine, and combine it with the article he wrote about Vinnie's raw bench cycle. Look through the logs as well, see what people are really doing and see how it works. Don't worry about not having bands/chains if you really read into it you'll find it's not suggested until you've got some serious time lifting heavy weights in first.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Westside is a great method. People's numbers seem to fly up when they start using conjugate periodization and westside methods of max effort
    hmm should i do westside for skinny bastards, or is that a mass building program? im not interested in building mass although itd be nice of course.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Honesty, the best advice I can give is to eat more and gain some weight. It's going to be tough to get very strong at 6'2" and 175 lbs. I know you said you eat alot already, but obviously you need to eat more.
    A relatively simple program like Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 stuff or 5x5 should work fine for getting stronger. You should be able to find enough information on these programs by searching on the web. You could also buy Wendler's 3 day a week training manual from Elitefts.
    I'm an inch shorter than you and I started powerlifting at ~215 lbs. Without gaining weight there was no way I was getting stronger. I'm 285 lbs. now and there's no way I would be as strong had I remained at 242 or less. I'm not saying try to gain 100 lbs. right away, but start gaining something.
    id prefer to get stronger a tthis weight before gaining. i have not tapped out all my resources for routines. and besides i already mentioned that 5x5 didnt work for me. no offense but please read my original post.

Do what you want. WS4SB is fine or plain WS is fine. Look at them both and figure it out for yourself what will work best for you.

Mass is a different story. Do whatever split- it doesnt matter- mass is a function of diet.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
    id prefer to get stronger a tthis weight before gaining. i have not tapped out all my resources for routines. and besides i already mentioned that 5x5 didnt work for me. no offense but please read my original post.
    I don't think you understand what I was trying to tell you. If you insist on staying at 175 lbs., your strength gains will be limited no matter what routine you try. You may get a little stronger, but you likely won't get truly strong. Also, their are about million 5x5 routines out there, so I'm not sure which one isn't working for you. There are variations where you aren't trying to add weight to the bar every workout. Any of the routines mentioned in this thread can work very well, but again you will be limited if you refuse to gain weight.
    Trust me, I went into powerlifting thinking I would get stronger and just stay at the weight I was at. It didn't work and my strength gains skyrocketed once I started gaining some weight.
    You asked for advice from those more experienced than you. It's up to you if you decide to follow it.

Wannabebig Member
    to begin with you don't really need bands/chains for wsb. go look at their stuff and Joe's stuff. pick one and stay true to it and you WILL get stronger if your variables are in place(sleep, diet, ect)