The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    (for a description of my diet / supplements / training please click here; to view my strength goals, please click here)

Sunday, March 31, 2002

Happy Easter...

Cardio.
    • Before Meal 1: 20 minutes stationery bike; alternating 1 minute level 6 with one minute level 8.

... Took my ALA before this and felt a little tired not a big deal though. Mainly just felt like a fat piece of sh*t.

Diet.
    • Meal 1: 4 hot wings + coffee + Equal + heavy whipping cream

Meal 2: 2 servings whey protein + heavy whipping cream + Equal

Meal 3: Atkin's choclate bar

Meal 4: green salad + Italian dressing

Meal 5: 2 tbsp. peanut butter

Overall Comments.
    • Wow woke up today feeling like a FAT COW! Yesterday and the Friday night I really binged like CRAZY! Woke up yesterday and ate cookies and all that bullsh*t. Ordered pizza right away. Ate that and the just snacked on candy and soda after that. Then I ate at Taco Bell like a fat a*s. Then my girlfriend and I went to Cracker Barrel for Easter and I pigged there like a fat balloon. Just ate and ate and ate. Soda and dessert the whole 9 yards. tuttuttuttut So now today I completely feel like a thousand pounds. Measured my waist today at the naval, with my abs flexed, and it measured a FAT and completely SOFT and disgusting 36 inches. Really pissed me off. Want it down to 33 inches or something along those lines.

Pain/Soreness.
    • Not sore today, just feel like a fat and flabby blimp thats completely disgraceful for binging like an a*s yesterday.

Sleep.
    • 8 hours sleep last night. Slept well with some really wacked out dreams. Usually the Sleep Formula causes this.

Supplements.
    • Precardio: 500 mg. ALA + 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx

With Meal 1: multi-vitamin/mineral + 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete + 50 mg. zinc

With Meal 2: 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete + 1 Adrenalin

With Meal 3: multi-vitamin/mineral + 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete + 1 Adrenalin

Before Bed: Sleep Formula

Training. Rest.

Training Length.
    • Feel so fat today and all the gyms are closed due to Easter. Today isnt a training day anyway so its not a big deal.

Water.
    • Okay amount today, need to remember that I am back into the low carb world I have to keep my water intake real high.

Weight.
    • Dont weigh in on rest days. Which is kind of good because if I weighed in I guarantee that I would be pushing 215-220 lbs. And I dont feel like being depressed.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 04-09-2002 at 12:43 PM.

Right now I take creatine, a multi-vitamin, and occasionally take a protein shake, all depending on whether my lazy ass feels like getting out the blender or not. My diet is just basically eat as much as I can, lol. I drink about a gallon of milk a day, eat atleast 4 meals, try to get in 5 or 6 though. Before baseball I was getting around 3500 calories a day, right now I'm lucky to be pulling in 2500-2750. Hopefully I'll mack on mass easter candy and get that total higher though, lol. I'm not too worried about gaining some fat though, I've put on 20 lbs. most since christmas and my bf% maybe went up 1% if that.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

Ironman15-
    Yeah haha creatine and protein and multivitamin are whats really important. I take a sh*tload of supplements haha. Not the best idea. Can get expensive. Anyway good luck man. Hope to see you get back into bodybuilding 150% after baseball is over. Haha Ill be checking out your journal man.

Thanks, I'll be checking yours out too.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered Faigin's book a while back. Funny thing, it's also taking FOREVER to get here. Now I know how you felt
    Anyway, good luck with everything, I might try NHE if I like what I read.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Monstar - I left you a post in your other journal, go check it out if you can. Dude, why do you go nuts and eat like that? I hope you don't seriously think that you gained 15lbs overnight, not really possible. Don't worry about it so much though, why don't you just keep your eating more balanced so you don't have these cravings?

Jane-
    Yeah NHE is a great book I think that youll really like it. Faigin really explains all aspects of nutrition well. Doesnt go in depth with supplements and training but diet wise I recommend it 100%. Works extremely well too. Based on personal experience I can tell you straight up that the diet works great! No counting calories or anything like that. Some aspects of it are a little old like limiting water intake during the carbup meal and keeping protein down during the carbup meal too. But overall the book is top-notch.

MarshallPenn-
    Now that one aspect Ill be the first to say that I am bad at. I binge like a fat non-disciplined a*shole eating everything in site for hours and hours. I am not sure why I do it. Seems like more of a psychological thing or something. Like I just cant stop eating. I eat and eat and eat until I feel like I am going to puke. I guess just eating the same old foods gets old or something along those lines.

Monstar - Clarify something for me, I check out the link, but there was no reading there, just testimonials - did I miss something?

Ok, I went to media, but nothing really meaty there either. He says the whole caloric theory is flawed, I've still never seen a fat POW, so maybe you can post up some of his ideas on how just eating low-cal doesn't cause weight loss.
    Last edited by MarshallPenn; 03-31-2002 at 12:00 PM.

MarshallPenn-
    www.extique.com is the NHE website. I just gave you that so you can order the book yourself if you feel so inclined. You can also look at a Q and A from that link. The calorie theory may not be the best but its a lifetime diet plan its not a fad diet where you count calories etc. Youre obviously not going to count calories everyday for the rest of your life.

http://www.extique.com/arindex.htm#index ... Here is the link to the Q and A over @ extique.com. Pretty interesting.

Marshall, the reason for abolishing calorie counting is cause the diet is also designed to be practical for folk who have had no luck with other (piss-poor) dieting methods. It is usually these folk who don't have concern enough to spend time counting calories and what-not.

There's a few other valid reasons too.

He makes a good job of dismissing the whole calorie-counting method. Personally i'd still count them: 1. cause i'm a freak and 2. cause i like to use it as a gauge.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    Youre obviously not going to count calories everyday for the rest of your life.
    We're not?

Maybe I'm a freak like CD but, is it really possible not to count? Never mind, I guess if your maintenance levels are like 3,500 than counting isn't so much of an issue...
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

The_Chicken_Daddy-
    Valid points bro. I am not going to be counting calories simply because I am lazy and because its a real pain in the a*s. I also want to be about to eat at restaurants no problem.

Jane-
    Haha I definitely dont count. But one thing that I think happens is personally I think that I usually go way under calorie wise when I am not counting calories. I think I am not 100% sure.

By the way, I just inserted the exact incline rowing machine that I have been talking about into my 2nd post here @ on this journal. Its inserted into the actual post not attached. You guys can check it out if you want.

bone crusher
    those are good rowing machines
    we have one at our gym that i use and like as an assisting lift
    We have a biangular row that i use as primary row

the doc-
    Yeah man I didnt see the biangular row. I wish they had that at the TMCA. I dont know well see how things go! I cannot wait to get into the power rack tomorrow though! Never done it before. Really really really REALLY looking forward to it. Also havnt dont flat BB presses in about 2 years! Probably am going to struggle with 250 for 6 haha. Pathetic.

bone crusher
    good luck man!

Haha thanks doc, appreciate it. What do you think of my program, its the 2nd post here in my journal. Probably, hopefully, going to stick to that exact program for around 6 months or until I completely stall. Stalling really doesnt happen too much with me either. My DBs @ the YMCA only go up the 100s.. which is dissapointed but other than that I should be fine.

Just wanted to wish good luck.

And hard workouts.
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.

bone crusher
    mon, i like your program except for one thing

After making some changes i am a firm believer in giving the arms their own day

Now i know your not going for strength/mass gains as #1 priority, so this may not apply, but if you want to hit your arms with heavy weights to give maximum development (as mason believes) then they NEED their own day. Otherwise they have been worked very hard as assisting muscles for say bench press or rowing (but not with heavy load)-thus you cannot hit them with heavy weight during the chest/tri day for example.

Monstar - sorry to be riding your ass like Zorro, but as I said to you before when you used NHE - you eat nothing! Dude, what was the calorie count of your food today?

4 wings ~200cals
    2 servings protein is what, 160cals?
    Atkins bar is what 300cals?
    salad with dressing ~200 cals
    2 tbls peanut butter 180cals

So, about 1000 calories total. Unless you use retarded amounts of cream in your coffees. On CID you were eating 500 cals a MEAL. Don't you see the difference?

Ask Mason and those guys, I know you respect their opinion. Your protein intake is sooo low (not that I'm a high protein fan) and with your calories that low, you're most likely burning off tons of muscle. Plus, your metabolism drops to zero on this diet so that when you binge, as you do, your body must go haywire.

Just trying to help. :-)

bone crusher
    on nhe monstar you should get around 200 g of protein/day

eating ~ 40-50 g/meal

i know you dont like to count cals, but you make up the rest in fat

marshall, his cals should not be that low

the doc-
    Yeah I totally get your point about having my protein intake up, I agree 100% bro. I also partially agree about giving arms their own training day. Okay there are ups and downs to arms on their own day though. I mean I want to keep delts on their own day too because after chest my delts are fried. If I do arms on a day, delts, on a day, and chest on a day, thats basically triceps 3x per week. Which I know my triceps cannot take. Somehow my arms dont seem to get TOO exausted from back or chest I still feel like I can hit them hard afterwards. It seems this way at least, I could be wrong.

MarshallPenn-
    Yeah I know that my calories are a little lower on NHE. Okay maybe a lot. But you have to realize that a higher fat intake murders my appetite. I eat whenever I am hungry on NHE. Every few hours of something along those lines. How much I eat directly corresponds with how hungry I am. I am not going to gorge myself if I am not even hungry ya know? I completely agree that my protein intake should be at least 1g per pound of bodyweight though. I need to concentrate on that more.

Monstar - you could look at the delts as part of the arm and just do delts and arms on the same day.

As far as your protein intake I think the 1g per pound thing is somewhat overhyped - I eat maybe half that most days and I've put on probably close to 30lb LM over the past year. So I don't think you need a huge amount.

Your appetite is really not there? Maybe this is psychological because I don't think that your fat intake has increased much in total from your daily intake on the CID diet. I am a little confused about other thing based on your appetite comments. Do you like to eat, or not? You binge like a maniac and you said you were up at 230lbs, so I assume you like eating, or did you just go nuts with the whole bulking concept? Me personally, I hate having to eat all the time, pain in the ass -- and the wallet. Reading your journal, your choice of foods on the 2 diets seemed completely different as well, the only thing that stayed the same is the pizza binges. Why don't you just eat pizza regularly?? -- I eat it all the time!! How do YOU like to eat -- forget these fancy named diets -- what type of foods do you like?

MarshallPenn-
    Yeah I know what youre saying about my protein intake. It is important that I keep my protein relatively high if I want to hold onto my lean mass. I think NHE is really good though at keeping my muscle at least from all of my experiences with it. I never went nuts with the whole bulking concept I went nuts with the whole fattening food binge concept. Pizza isnt really a diet kind of food. And I want to lose some fat so thats why I limit my pizza intake.