The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Training for pull ups

I currently can't do even one pull up and I want to be able to start doing pull ups. I know it is a combination of being both too weak and too heavy. I'm working on the latter by strength training and HIT training and the pounds are coming off.

I'm not sure that the strength training that I am doing is helping me work towards doing pull ups, though. I am mainly doing training with dumbells at home and don't belong to a gym so I don't have access to things like lat pulldowns (assuming those help train for pull ups).

Are there dumbell exercises I can do to specifically work towards being able to do pull ups? I do bent over rows, but not much else for my back.

I'd also be interested in other ideas. For instance, I do sandbag training once a week and had the idea of seeing if I could try to hang upside down at the playground at the park (like hang over the edge where they have the fire pole thing) and pull the sandbag up sort of like a reverse pull up. I can see myself pulling the sandbag up, sliding off the edge, and landing on my head with that maneuver, though.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

deadlifts and assisted-pull up machines.

Banned
    Negative pullups. Get up to the bar however you want (jumping, use a step, etc.) and lower yourself as slowly as possible.

EDIT: If you can rig it up, you can use a heavy band as a ghetto assisted chinup machine.
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 10-06-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Put a small platform under the bar you do pullups on, and do your pullups from that level.
    I'll have to gain a bunch of weight just to be skinny, and then a bunch more to even look like I lift weights.
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...29#post2002529

Wannabebig Member
    do a 'knipping' pullup (if i spelled that right)

basically you swing a little to gain momentum

Start adding weight as soon as humanly possible (as soon as you can get 4-5 regular pullups). Adding weight (hanging a plate off the body) is the only way I got able to do 10+ pullups at a time (I was stuck forever around 7-8 pullups max).

I'm going to try these things as well... since I've been gaining weight I haven't been able to do more than 1 at a time...2 at most.

Trying not to die young.

negatives like redspikey said, also lockoffs help a lot, training isometric strength will translate to a gain in concentric strength I've found.

I just did them. I used to only be able to do 4, now I can do about 15+, about 6-8 with 45 weights.
    8:45 Heaven

Always learning
    I do round 20 pullups now with 60 lbs hanging off of me. I started with assisted-pullup machine using just enough weight to where I could barely do 3 sets of 4. Each week or two you should see improvement. After I was able to do 20 without any help I started adding weight.

I love doing them, just make sure you DO NOT do them fast. Do them slow and right.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

Lat pulldowns help a lot too. I've been doing those at 170 (I weigh 145) and they feel qualitatively dissimilar (in some aspects) to doing pullups with 25 pounds hanging off.

Alternating those like once a week do heavy lat pulldowns and once a week do weighted pullups, has helped a lot.

A lot of people do lat pulldowns after they do pullups also...I think that makes sense also.

negatives, kipping, static holds in mid way and top position, asst pullups, rows,
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    If you are fat loose some weight and do Practice as much as you can as you know practice makes the man perfect.

Last edited by moiz615; 10-10-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Reverse grip cable pulldowns, work up towards your bodyweight. Negative Bodyweight pullups by jumping up to the top then bending you knees and lowering yourself the full range to the bottem. Focus your program on strength gain in the upper body as the pullups uses the lats, biceps, forearms and deltoids.