The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Will lifting weights make my biceps bigger?

I've bought starting strength about a year ago. I bought it primarily for the exercise instructions. I keep reading references on this sight to rippetoes staring strength programme yet upon examining the book all I can find are two hand written pages towards the back. Its a workout, but for who? Are they pounds or KG? I can't figure out how I'm supposed to adapt it for me. Is this even the book everyone is working from? This may sound dumb and maybe I have missed something.

Constructive replies only please.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yes, that is the right book. The programming is simple, but the concepts are not. The most important thing is to learn to do the main 5 exercises with perfect form. The next thing to do is to use those 5 exercises to build up a solid strength and muscle base before you get into any specialized training (bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, football, whatever, etc...). Following that simple program and adding weight every workout will do just that.

Yes, it will make your biceps, and everything else in your body bigger as long as you eat a lot too.

I guess you were expecting a typical bodybuilding book like Arnold's encyclopedia of BB'ing or something.

The biceps title was just a joke. I've done 5x5 before, I think it was Bill starr's. On that I had to workout all sorts of 1rm and 5rm etc and input them into a calculator which worked out what weight I shoud be lifting. Is this totally different? Does every one just lift the weights he has scribbled down? What happens after the second week? Do you just keep adding weight until you are unable to progress. Seriously, I thought ripptoe had brought out another book when people refer to the workout section, I thought is was an example not a routine.

Workout A: Bench 3x5 ME
    Squat 3x5 ME
    Deadlift 3x5 ME

Workout B: Standing OH Press 3x5 ME
    Cleans - 3x5 ME
    Squat - 3x5 ME

Week 1 - A, B, A
    Week 2 - B, A, B
    Week 3 - A, B, A

So on and so forth, just add weight every workout and when you can't add anymore deload and do it again. Figured the book explained all this, but oh well. Hell I was going to suggest masturbation to build your biceps when I saw the title =). But gl man
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Rippetoe doesn't actually put forward a "Starting Strength routine" in his book. Instead, he puts forward a number of concepts, primary among them is that novices should repeat the basic barbell movements (squat, bench, deadlift, OHP, and power clean) regularly, while adding weight to the bar every time in the gym, in order to take advantage of linear progress and rapid adaptation.

The standard Rippetoe routine suggested (which conforms to these principles) is:

Workout A:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Workout B:
    Squat 3x5
    OHP 3x5
    Powerclean 3x5

Alternate workout A and B, going to the gym 3 times a week. For example:
    Week 1 - A, B, A
    Week 2 - B, A, B
    Week 3 - A, B, A

The important thing is to add weight to the bar every time you're in the gym. As far as what kind of weight you should use, that depends entirely on you. Use a weight that allows you to complete all of the sets and reps with good form, and add weight to that the next time you're in the gym.

FYI: the hand written routine in the book also conforms to the principles outlined above, as do a number of other similar routines that are floating around on the net.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 10-07-2008 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Rippetoe doesn't actually put forward a "Starting Strength routine" in his book..

Thankyou, I'm not new to body building, just this site. I think the subtle humor of the title was lost on some members. So basically "rippetoe" is the common name given to any workout utilising the five main compound lifts and focusing on the five set, five rep range with linear progression, suitable for novice liters?

So what does ME mean? Also in the book its shows that you add weight between sets, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    Thankyou, I'm not new to body building, just this site. I think the subtle humor of the title was lost on some members. So basically "rippetoe" is the common name given to any workout utilising the five main compound lifts and focusing on the five set, five rep range with linear progression, suitable for novice liters?
    Rippetoe recommends three sets of five (not 5x5) for most lifts (except the deadlift). Rippetoe's Starting Strength routine has come to be known as the routine I posted above, although there are other routines that certainly satisfy the principles laid out in Starting Strength.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    So what does ME mean? Also in the book its shows that you add weight between sets, is that right?
    ME means maximal effort. It is not something that Rippetoe addresses in the context of novices and it is not something you need to worry about at this point.

Maybe you should check out his other book called "practical programming", which explains EVERYTHING about training in great detail - he talks about what constitutes a trainee as a novice, an intermediate, an advanced, or an elite lifter. He talks about hypertrophy, bodybuiding, strength, powerlifting, non-barbell sports, rest, nutrition, rep ranges, cardio, overtraining, etc... You name it, and PP talks about it.

Starting Strength is mainly about form, which is obviously very important. Practical programming may be exactly what you were looking for.

To the OP -
    These guys have explained it quite well. I have both books and both are good reads (a bit dry, at times). You'll learn quite alot from them. SS is an excellent routine for getting your biceps quite large.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench