The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: myth or truth?

The Chicken Mr'ga

myth or truth?

lower weights with higher reps is beter than heavy weights with low reps while trying to cut.. myth or truth?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i just maintain what i do when i bulk. if it bult muscle it will retain it.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    myth

PR blaster!
    Got my vote for myth. The biggest factor for cutting is losing fat (obviously, although not so obvious for some people) which is best done with diet and then maybe some activity (cardio).
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

id focus on diet more than training to lose fat.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Thats just bullsh*t bro. Diet will determine whether or not you lose fat not your rep scheme.

I just wanted, actually needed, to say that anyone that tells you this has no idea what they are talking about. It's like these guys at school that don't understand why I haven't gotten stronger while trying to lose weight..... Oh yea, these same people claim the exact thing you just asked. : ) They're simple minded, and that probably won't ever change.

Lifting light seems more likely to help you get weaker while trying to lose weight : )
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

The Chicken Mr'ga
    hehe thanks Goin_Big.. i actually heard it from people i goto school with
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

The Chicken Mr'ga
    just say you benched 60kg over 2 sets, each set doin 10 reps, would that be better, same or worser than doin 4 sets of 20 reps with 30kg?
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

it's TRUE ! Because you need more energy with high reps + high volume than low reps low volume. You need to eat more carbs with higher Volume !!! But if you want to cut you have to reduce the carbs. Then your body will use his fat tissues to compensate te lack of energy !

What I define as low reps is 1-5 and 10-20 high 6-10 average
    Last edited by Gavan; 03-31-2002 at 03:17 AM.

3:16
    Originally posted by Gavan
    it's TRUE ! Because you need more energy with high reps + high volume than low reps low volume. You need to eat more carbs with higher Volume !!! But if you want to cut you have to reduce the carbs. Then your body will use his fat tissues to compensate te lack of energy !

So even though high volume is highly catobolic, when cutting you are going to have enough kcals to repair the damage done when cutting?
    you are not going to cause even more over training and more muslce loss. as a result decrease your metabolic rate and decrease fat loss as a result?

also how many kcals do you burn when doing=

high volume + high rips = X
    low volume + low reps = Y

X-Y= kcal difference.

so what is the difference between this these two? will it effect overall kcals burned in a day? i will say this differnece will be small at most relative to the rest of the day kcla expenditure.

when cutting it would be best to reduce exercise volume as you have less energy to repair the damage of exercise.
    as for high or low reps, do what you were doing before.
    though possibly may go a bit low rep range to help maintain strenght and attempting maxium hypertrophy in times of cutting is harder, so may avoid putting that stress on the body.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Myth. Weightlifting doesn't burn a great deal of calories. There are many other activites that will burn more calories, and aerobic exercises will target fat calories, so why would one try to use high reps with weights to burn extra calories? When dieting, I would suggest you use the number of reps that gives you the best combination of strength and hypertrophy. For most people, that lies in the 4-12 range. You will need to experiment to see which seems to work best for you.

Body I don't think you need "calories" or carbs to repair muscles, only proteins. you can get bigger and leaner at the same time. But if you don't eat calories enough and are already very lean then your body will use muscles as a source of energy. If your diet is very violent then I agree you should do a small amout of effort. But I think it's better to have a normal diet and work harder and more ! then you'll be leaner.

I never change my diet only lift more or harder.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

What I define as low reps is 1-5 and 10-20 high 6-10 average
    1. you do not need to reduce carbs in order to get cut.

2. if you drop weight and go for high reps then you will lose muscle. In order to preserve muscle you need to be shifting the same weights (or even heavier weights). The muscle only grew in the first place cause you asked extra effort of it and the growth was your body's way of preparing itself to be able to withstand the task the next time to ask it to. (as bad as that is worded sorry). This is why progressive overload works.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

3:16
    protein build muscles. but it will be used a source of energy before building muscle. thats why to gain muscle quickly you eat a lot, so protein is usage is limited as a energy source.

its hard to get bigger and leaner(well not gianing any fat) in people who have been trianing for a while. 9who have good routines and diet already)
    you have to be really insulin sensitive or on lots of drugs, though probably both.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Wannabebig Member
    Myth to a large extent.

Although high reps, with short rests, alternating upper and lower body exercises have been shown to cut fat. Charles Poliquin is an advocate of this.

-Zulu

yep proteins are used like souce of energy if you don't eat enough carbs and don't have enough fat tissus, less than 8-10% of BodyFat. but enough is enough ;O) no need more => bulking => fat tissus. If you want to be realy CUT 5-6% then ok... you can't build muscles at the same time because so low BF is UNnatural and dangerous and your body won't be able to conservate this low BF for a long time. when I say cutt it's 8-10%... for a natural (no drugs) man.

if you don't eat enough carbs your body will use fat tissus insteed.

Children grow fast without eating a lot. The body doesn't need that much.

for me the real MYTH is the necessity of BULKING (adding both muscles and fat tissus)

Plus Athur Jones said that diet is not important that a normal diet is ok, perhaps with a little bit more proteins than the average Joe...
    Last edited by Gavan; 03-31-2002 at 07:01 AM.

Originally posted by SS-GOHAN
    just say you benched 60kg over 2 sets, each set doin 10 reps, would that be better, same or worser than doin 4 sets of 20 reps with 30kg?
    If by this you mean you would take a weight you thought you could get 10 times only then yes. Just make sure you're taking every set to failure. I like the 6-10 rep range myself.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Plus Athur Jones said that diet is not important that a normal diet is ok, perhaps with a little bit more proteins than the average Joe...
    Who is Arthur Jones and what is a normal diet?

LOL "who is Arthur Jones" ! He is THE man, Arthur Jones = INTENSITYMAN. According to many peoples he get amazing results in both size and strenght on many guys and probodybuilders. Getting bigger and leaner at the same time. But his workouts were so intense. It's unbelivable. He the "inventor" of HIT training but not the HIT of MC ROBERT or Mentzer. 3 Full Body per weeks 12 exercices 2 to 4 sets per exercices each sets to failure !!!

normal diet is 3 meals per day like it's common. Jones said it's sufficient and that you don't need anything more. For the folks who want to be sure to have proteins enough you can take 2 shakers of proteins per day.

100% myth.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

The Chicken Mr'ga
    thanks 4 da help.. just wanted to see what people who actually know what there talkin bout had to say about it..

<spam> Journal </spam>

The Chicken Mr'ga
    would this be the same with sit-ups? so its any benifit to do 5 - 6 sets of 100 sit-ups? .. its just better to do 1 or 2 sets?

guys if you don't belive me perhaps you'll believe Poliquin :

"Keep in mind that, contrary to popular bodybuilding methodology, maximal weight training imposes lower energy requirements per time unit. To put it simply, you won't burn as many calories and your caloric requirements will be less during this training period."

He is comparing low reps and high reps. The same for high volume and low volume...

http://www.charlespoliquin.net/artic...l-weights.html

Of course training for a longer period of time is going to burn more calories. But is the amount of calories significant? Probably not.