Thread: The whining of a fatigued teenager...

The whining of a fatigued teenager...

This is purely a reflection.

Any weightlifter considering going far in the sport must be ale to train up to 3 times a day comfortably, this process of developments takes years, and I am now being really exposed to high frequency training. For the record I have incredibly supportive and financially secure parents who have agreed to support, house, feed me, and my my fees while I pursue my weightlifting goals well into my mid 20's.

In to the point...

Up till now, double sessions for me had been squats, pulls, and occasionally presses/back work etc in the morning, and then a typical weightlifting session for the second. I was pretty used to this and could cope well on up to 11 sessions a week.

I am now approaching 18 months of weightlifting... I am being held back alot, I know I have more in me than my coach will let me do, but I know it is better I be patient and progress than overshoot and injure myself. However, my coach decided that I have gained enough experience to handle true double sessions without injury. I also have a 2 week break from school, which is ideal...

Last week I finished 8 days, in which there were 14 sessions of snatch clean and jerk squats in all their variations. Needless to say I was feeling crippled. After a few days rest, I am now in the second phase and handling it far better. Fatigue is constant, and by the end of the phases my hands are rubbed raw, and most lifts are down by 20 pounds.

I am coping with it by being very persistent about my recovery, I am eating close to 5000 calories a day, sleeping in between sessions, receiving regular deep tissue massage as well as heat/cold stuff etc etc.

I can not imagine having to work during this, again I am fortunate to have good coaching and my parents. This has given me a little taste of what my future weightlifting will be like, and what the daily lives of some state sponsored athletes are like. In China, Bulgaria, Russia etc athletes are housed and fed, coaching and recovery is taken care of, they merely have to lift... If I am to stand a chance then I have to train under as similar conditions as possible (drugs are a separate matter altogether and the least of my concerns.)

I just wanted to share with everyone, feel free to ask... don't bother asking about specific programming, I prefer not to share that.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Raw Demon
    You mention that you feel you may be held back and feel like you can do more...................This is good because it is a periodized schedule that should help prevent overtraining and injury. I use to want to go all day too at 100% but when you learn about the specifics of training and it's effect on the body, you will learn that less is more alot of the time.
    Andrew Cohn
    USAPL Raw
    Squat: 501
    Bench: 341
    Deadlift:611

Total: 1433

Currently plumping up for the 220's!

thats pretty cool, lots of dedication you have there. Just curious, how long have you been lifting? and when do you plan on participating in the olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by roots View Post
    thats pretty cool, lots of dedication you have there. Just curious, how long have you been lifting? and when do you plan on participating in the olympics?
    I powerlifted competitively for a bit over a year, and have been Oly lifting for 18 months now.

As for the Olympics... I would obviously like to go to 2012/2016, but I refrain from asking those kinds of questions. I leave the larger thinking too my coach and just focus on moving the bar in ront of me at the time.

Thinking takes up far too many calories.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Fuzzy, I've always said you are wise beyond your years. This post is just motivating the ***** out of me right now; seriously. You are an inspiration for hard work and dedication.

Come on Chris, the kid is gonna be an Olympian, albeit for Australia, not the U.S., send him some RESULTS!!!!

Good work Fuzzy. 3 sessions a day must be very tiring. Excellent work though on your commitment to your goals. You will do well.

I've done 2 sessions a day for as long as 2 weeks before and that just about wore me completely out. 3 a day would be pretty difficult.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Just keep kicking ass and the rest will take care of itself.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by HP666 View Post
    Fuzzy, I've always said you are wise beyond your years. This post is just motivating the ***** out of me right now; seriously. You are an inspiration for hard work and dedication.

Come on Chris, the kid is gonna be an Olympian, albeit for Australia, not the U.S., send him some RESULTS!!!!
    I have alot to prove before I can even think of it, but thank you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Good work Fuzzy. 3 sessions a day must be very tiring. Excellent work though on your commitment to your goals. You will do well.

I've done 2 sessions a day for as long as 2 weeks before and that just about wore me completely out. 3 a day would be pretty difficult.
    It ins interesting, but it will make returning to normal programs far easier, and now I have the experience to do it again in the next few months once I finish school.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Just keep kicking ass and the rest will take care of itself.
    That's the plan! Coach gives me the lift, weight, numbers, I move them. It's that simple when you are under experienced people. All it takes is the respect to listen and comply.

I am 5 weeks out from my next comp, so I should be posting some vids of a 300 pound clean and jerk.

V? Do you guys ever do double sessions?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    That's the plan! Coach gives me the lift, weight, numbers, I move them. It's that simple when you are under experienced people. All it takes is the respect to listen and comply.

I am 5 weeks out from my next comp, so I should be posting some vids of a 300 pound clean and jerk.

V? Do you guys ever do double sessions?
    I am 39, I can hardly hand single sessions. Good luck in your competition. I look forward to watching your progress.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I am 39, I can hardly hand single sessions.
    I'm 22. I'm lucky if I don't almost pass out and die on the drive home.
    Roll Tide.

Fuzzy, you have earned it! PM me your address and I will send you a jug of RESULTS as a gift.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Fuzzy, you have earned it! PM me your address and I will send you a jug of RESULTS as a gift.

Chris
    Chris, remember I am in Australia, surely that is not cost effective for you?

300 lb clean and jerk is massive. what were your best powerlifting lifts when you competed? and do you still train deadlifts and bench nowadays or strictly oly stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by roots View Post
    300 lb clean and jerk is massive. what were your best powerlifting lifts when you competed? and do you still train deadlifts and bench nowadays or strictly oly stuff?
    407/308/462@210 in competition, raw.

Yes, strictly Oly stuff now.

No, but it is cool. Up to you.

No, but it is cool. Up to you.
    Fuzzy, I'll PM you MY address, and you can forward that to Chris
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

chris ive earned it too! i work 10hours a day 6 days a week as a labourer
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

Since I made a useless post above I thought I should actually add something to this thread...

Fuzzy, those of us who have been around a while have seen the transformation you've gone through, both as a strength athlete and a person. You've come a long way from the cocky 14 year old that first started posting on here. You'll go far in oly lifting and when you're done with that I'm sure you'll excel at whatever you choose to pursue.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Since I made a useless post above I thought I should actually add something to this thread...

Fuzzy, those of us who have been around a while have seen the transformation you've gone through, both as a strength athlete and a person. You've come a long way from the cocky 14 year old that first started posting on here. You'll go far in oly lifting and when you're done with that I'm sure you'll excel at whatever you choose to pursue.
    Agreed. You come across as much older than you are.

Good luck with your goals and everything dude.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Chris
    I have to say, when I commented on sending the kid some RESULTS I was half kidding, but after reading his post, and being a user/believer in RESULTS myself, the first thing I thought was "RESULTS can help this kid." Now Chris offering Fuzzy a bottle I must say is a complete act of generosity and class; and is the exact reason why I'm a customer of ALN, and will always be a customer of ALN. And I don't say this to kiss up to Chris and Daniel, I could care less if Chris Mason likes me or if he thinks I'm an A-hole, as long as he keeps making the products he makes and I can get my hands on them.

How's that for a testimonial!!! LOL

We should do a TV spot: "Products so good even an A-hole like me uses them!" And for the record I don't think Chris thinks I'm an A-hole.
    Last edited by HP666; 10-10-2008 at 04:22 PM.

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but how does 2 or 3 per day workouts improve results? There are always comments here regarding rest periods, sleep, etc. Is it for advanced lifters only or can anyone see results from doing workouts like this?
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by 40 Nunc View Post
    Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but how does 2 or 3 per day workouts improve results? There are always comments here regarding rest periods, sleep, etc. Is it for advanced lifters only or can anyone see results from doing workouts like this?
    a few ways...

increases recovery, raises GPP, lets you practice the lifts more, lets you focus harder on each different thing you train because you have breaks and meals and naps between sessions etc. Just to name a few.

anyone can see results like this, you can see results training 20 times a day, but I doubt they would be the best results.

Does training like this produce the best results? I dont know.

Is it worth the extra time spent in the gym? Sometimes it is.

Is it needed? no.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

Quote Originally Posted by 40 Nunc View Post
    Anyone could do it, it has a lot to do with adaptation. You need to be consistent and get your body/mind/cns ready for the training. If you train four times a week and then all of a sudden decide that you're gonna train 3 times a day for a few days, well, you're gonna feel like a bag of *****. If you trained three times a day for six months, well then you're body/mind/cns will get used to it. This may be oversimplifying it but I think adaption is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeman View Post
    a few ways...

increases recovery, raises GPP, lets you practice the lifts more, lets you focus harder on each different thing you train because you have breaks and meals and naps between sessions etc. Just to name a few.

anyone can see results like this, you can see results training 20 times a day, but I doubt they would be the best results.

Does training like this produce the best results? I dont know.

Is it worth the extra time spent in the gym? Sometimes it is.

Is it needed? no.
    For powerlifting, definitely not needed. It is far different when oly lifting is concerned. What you said above was correct.

The movements are complicated, so you need to build up the conditioning in order to be able to practice them under heavy loads daily.

It's almost like gymnastics, you can't jsut expect them to do some rings once a week, then some side bars once or twice a week to, they need to train everyday.

Wannabebig Member
    damn fuzz, that is alot of work. props to you for your dedication